Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2013, 10:33 PM

Default Lakes with Clearer Water

What are some lakes with clearer water near Edmonton(or should say nearer Edmonton then say Calgary) with decent scenery and fishing?

I want to go try my fishing kayak out but would prefer a nice scenic lake with clear water instead of the muddy bottom algae blooming lakes close to Edmonton. Rock lake looks like it might be a good candidate was wondering if there were any other suggestions?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:01 AM

Sylvan would be one of the clearest but it is big and open so you'd have to choose a calm day. I was swimming at the provincial park there a few weeks ago and there were several people fishing from kayaks out from the swimming area. Lots of small walleye (C&R), and some big pike if you are lucky.

Hubbles (west of Edmonton) is also a lake with great clarity, and it is small and in a protected valley (and 100 feet deep!). But I don't think there is any public access there anymore? (Maybe at Allan Beach again, now that their private development plans got squashed this spring?).

Twin Lakes, SW of Edmonton are pretty clear too (used by scuba clubs) and the west lake is deep and has fish (though I've never fished it myself so can't comment on how productive). Beautiful spot in the fall when the leaves are changing.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
What are some lakes with clearer water near Edmonton(or should say nearer Edmonton then say Calgary) with decent scenery and fishing?

I want to go try my fishing kayak out but would prefer a nice scenic lake with clear water instead of the muddy bottom algae blooming lakes close to Edmonton. Rock lake looks like it might be a good candidate was wondering if there were any other suggestions?
Just got back from white court area, hit up the little McLeod (Pegasus) lake it's a smaller lake and crystal clear the boat launch is poor so it keeps people out and no motors, I have never been out there and had some one else out with me. Plus there is pike in there for fishing. Minus the one compressor station on the one end on the lake looks like it has never been touched. While out fishing the other day we got passed by 7 swans out cruising the lake.

Water is so clear at the launch end I went to jump in thinking it would be about a foot was actually 3 feet it was very deceiving. Rock lake is awesome too, as you get closer to the mountains there are a lot of little nice lakes.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:46 AM

phyllis lake is nice and scenic south of rocky mountain house. or check out lakeland provincial park, it's close to lac la biche