Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2012, 12:17 PM

Question Deck refinishing project...UPDATE!!

We have to refinish Mr. Boss's multilevel deck c/w Japanese-inspired benches, planters, curves, etc. We have determined that using a stripping product may be the best way to go and are thinking of using Benjamin Moore's "Remove" followed by "Brighten". Likely we will be applying a semi-transparent stain and UV protectant (he has not yet chosen the product). There is also a very detailed rough cedar pergola that is starting to look quite weathered, getting dark in areas and waterstained in others. We are not sure what to do with this...perhaps a cleaner and then restain it?
Has anyone used any of these products? The deck is in very good shape otherwise except for some scratches due to high canine traffic over the years.
As always, thanks for the input!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:20 PM

What is on the deck now? What is the deck made of?
Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 PM

It looks like it was a semi-transparent stain with a glossy topcoat, likely oil-based. Done about seven years ago and the guy who built it is no longer here. Not sure what the wood is. I'll check.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:39 PM

OK, if t is 7 years old it is either pressure treated or cedar. I am assuming it is not cedar.

Semi transparent stains are absorded in the wood. I am thinking this is going to be an incredible amount of work. Are you planning on doing the rail too?
Old 09-16-2012, 12:43 PM

There are no rails. According to the product info, it can be used on both latex and oil stains. We felt it may be less-labour intensive than sanding due to the intricacies of the design. The pergola, benches and planters are cedar, so I am thinking the decking is also but will find out soon.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:49 PM

Cedar is triple the cost of pressure treated, it's unlikely anyone woudl spend that money and then stain it.

I would start with a really good pressure washer. Not an electric one, but a powerful gas machine.

Can you take the boards off and flip them? Wouldn't be much stain on the bottom?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 PM

Flipping the boards is not an option. As for cost...money is not an issue for these folks. A pressure-washer alone will not remove the stain in a lot of areas. He told us he will buy one if we think it is needed to wash the stuff off afterwards...
I see there is a product called "Defy" but cannot find anyone who sells it up here.

Last edited by molly; 09-16-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:57 PM

Japanese inspired....

There is your ticket.

You just need to remove the clearcoat. Then re-stain.

The Japanese understand Shibui.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 AM

Hi Molly
Trying to restore a deck can be a big job.Lots of unforeseen problems that can pop out.
I started out replacing the wooden railings a couple of weeks ago.Wood rot on the ends of the floor boards.I then tore out the whole deck.12 feet x28 feet plus 6ftx15 ft on side of house.Cost around $500.00 for removal.
Am now in the process of putting in an exposed aggregate patio and wooden stained steps at patio door and door on side of house.Cost will be around $8000.00.
Concrete is a little bit expensive,but very little maintenance.They can do great things with concrete to create great designs.
Next big job is to put up a chain link fence to compliment the patio.One neighbour will not share the cost of the fence so I will have to pay the whole shot.Oh yeah,they also want me to remove a tree from their property that was pushing over the present fence.Nice neighbours!!!!!!
I didn't mean to hijack your thread,I just wanted to point out that a lot of problems can arise that you are not expecting.
Good luck on your project
Rainbow
Old 10-23-2012, 01:38 PM

Talking Deck 95% finished...then it snowed!

Thought I'd update whoever is interested on our project. We ended up using the Benjamin Moore Remove, Restore and Brighten products which did not work as well as we had hoped. It was a lengthy process and thank gawd Mr. Boss bought a kick-ass pressure washer. We still had to do a lot of sanding and wore out one orbital sander, not to mention shoulder muscles! Mr. Boss selected Sikkens SRD Translucent Stain which is now a water-borne product but very nice to work with. As thick as pudding! Anyway, he took forever to decide and finally get the product out here and then we were waylaid by bad weather, so it took a lot longer than we planned. Just a bit more to do, if the weather ever gets warm enough.
Here are some photos of what it looks like now.

I must say I enjoyed doing this...Bringing back neglected wood is quite gratifying! Anyone need a deck refinished?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 PM

Nice work!! Looks great. Makes me realize that my porch could use some attention.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:27 AM

Wow! That looks great!
You posted pics for all to see, now when is the bbq and hot tub party? We are all invited, right?

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Wow! That looks great!
You posted pics for all to see, now when is the bbq and hot tub party? We are all invited, right?
Haha! That is the ranch owners' house!! Whoever designed and built it, though, was very talented. That said, regular upkeep is key!! Many of the deck boards (all secured from BELOW!) have become quite cupped, thus holding water much longer and not draining off. The Sikkens SRD is also meant to be applied every year, ideally. Hopefully next summer we can get paid to reapply it!!

Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 AM

I love the low rise and wide treads next to the pergola in the first pic.