Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Cam T

Default Proposed Changes to Sport fishing Licence fees

I sent this letter to the the people below; I hope many of you agree. If so, I encourage you to do the same. If you do not agree please tell us why.

Thanks;

"Dear
Alberta Sustainable Resource Development, Alberta Conservation, Alberta Fish and Game, My Wild Alberta; and Honourable Members of the Legislative Assembly;

I have been an avid sport fisherman for 20 years, but as of late I just have not had the time to go fishing on a regular basis. I do not think I am alone in this situation, as many professionals are busy people whom may only go sport fishing 1 or 2 times per summer. Because of the current licensing standards, I have not fished or spent any money on fishing gear in Alberta since the introduction of barbless hook regulations. Since I rarely caught fish in one or two outings a year with barbed hooks, why would I want to spend $25.66/year not to catch any fish. I have however went on trips outside of Alberta, purchased a 3 day non resident license and caught fish, and had a great time doing so. I was on vacation.
I suggest changes for licensing sport fishing in Alberta.
I propose that licensing standards be changed, from the single yearly fee of $25.66 + $8.00 for a WIN card to a system with options to chose from.

Now if a family of 4 goes fishing once or twice or even three times a year, the family has a $100 for the licence fee for this entertainment. Probably they would catch and release, if they caught anything at all. The cost is rather high considering they may only fish that one time on a family vacation. There are many entertainment options is this province, I think that some reform is required to be competitive with the consumer’s dollar. The following proposals will benefit Alberta’s Health and Wellness as well as promote recreation in Alberta!

I propose that three additional options be permitted when purchasing a licence.
1) A catch and release licence – 50% off the regular cost, therefore a “C&R Licence” would cost $12.33/annual licence.
Purchasing this licence would not allow any fish to be kept. The majority of people I know; “catch and release”.
2) A 3 day licence - 50% of the regular cost, therefore a “3 day Licence” would cost $12.33. This licence would allow for keeping of caught fish within the legal regulations.
3) Start expiring licenses 365days from the date of issue, I paid for a licence for my step-son to go ice fishing last weekend, the damn $25.66 licence expires March 18th.

These options would
1) Generate more overall interest in sport fishing,
2) Get more people out of the house on a weekend,
3) Enjoy The Alberta environment,
4) Get more families spending time together,
5) Increase overall lifestyles’
6) Get kids off videogames and into a sport,
7) Increase Revenues for Alberta Fish and Game Associations.
8) Will reduce poaching; as many people believe spending $25+ for a few hours is too much money.

This is a WIN –WIN situation. Please consider for the 2010-2011 sport fishing season.

Thank you"
Old 03-06-2010, 02:37 PM
hunter49

A night at the bar costs atleast as much as a year round fishing license. 26 bucks a year is NOTHING, costs double that to fill the truck after getting back from fishing. I think they should INCREASE costs and send more CO's out into the field.

However,
I do agree on the 365 days from the date it was bought, that one is pretty stupid.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:02 PM

Smile

I 100% agree. I have purchased a license every year since I was 16, and have been more reluctant the last several years. I bought a license the 09/10year and went ice fishing once, went to sylvan didn't catch a thing. It is getting harder and harder to justify spending $60 for my wife and I to go fishing once a year. I may just watch our 2 year old fish this year, but most likely will break down and buy one.
I don't spend any money at the bar either
Old 03-06-2010, 04:55 PM

the only place ASRD get any money for fish management is from fishing licenses. Money also comes from general revenue. tax dollars. pay for the licenses and think about how you are helping manage the fish so our grandchilren will still be able to fish.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:58 PM

I personally thing that the license fees are too low. Are you saying it's too much to spend $30 if you're only going to use it for one day? Look at some other activities out there, a round of golf can be over $100 for one person for a game. I think they should maybe offer a one day license for about $20, but make the annual up to about $50-$100. If you go any cheaper there's hardly even a point in making a license mandatory.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:12 PM

I somewhat agree and think $25 is cheap. An annual pass for your family isn't much more than a night out at the movies. What bothers me most is that there is no increase for non-residents (such as BC).

For me in BC it costs me:

$55 for a freshwater license
$106.50 for a salt water license
$6.30 for a Salmon Stamp
$20 for a Kootenay Lake Rainbow tag

$187.80 so far................... and

$40 PER DAY to flyfish the Elk River and tributaries

Now for my AB License it $25.66

But.........for my brother who lives in BC to get an AB license it's............................$25.66?!?!

Think there's a problem here??????????????????????????????
Old 03-06-2010, 05:41 PM

Well written Cam T! Totally agree with you. However, on the flip side like other users have mentioned, this might generate discussions that our fishing license is much cheaper than the rest of the country (I'm assuming its one of the cheapest? Enlighten me if there's a province thats cheaper and I'll consider moving there! )...which might cause the license cost to go up with nothing gained. But I'll be all for a C&R license though...but would love to try Walleye one of these days since everyone's raving about it!

I do agree there should be more COs out there. Been out about 20 times this license period and have yet to see one. Hopefully its not a time when I'm accidentally using a barbed hook! :\

I strongly agree that out of province individuals should pay more than residents just like other provinces though.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:54 PM

It does anger me slightly that like others have said non-residents pay the same as us Albertan's. I think the price should be increased for them. I have no issues with the current rate, and I could live with an increase as long as I get to see more CO's being hired.

I totally agree that when you buy a license that it should be good for 365 days from the time of purchase.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:31 PM

Personally I think we have it to cheap already. Cmon guys, 25 dollars for a year??? You cant do anything cheaper than that. Wouldnt hurt to raise it!

I also would like to see seniors and kids licenced say over 6(kids and seniors at a reduced rate though)(No free rides). Then you would get a more accurate count of the fisherperson/days in AB and more revenue.

Also, non res should pay more as well.

Licence structure fees:

Adult $40.00 or 50.00
Senior $25.00
Kids 6-17 $25.00
Non res Canadian $75.00
Non Res $125.00

Flack vest on and ready.

Easier enforcement with a March 31 ending of all licences.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 03-06-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:39 PM

$25 a year is nothing at all buddy
i would like to see a catch & release licence too
but i think the non-residents should pay at least $35
and i agree with the 365 days a year thing

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-07-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:47 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Easier enforcement with a March 31 ending of all licences.
Agreed. 1 year from date of license would be nice but not feasible.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Cam T

I am only focused on Alberta resident fees, non resident fees are altogether different. I was not suggesting the current annual license is too low or too high. I am suggesting that options be available like other provinces.

A few fees I have looked into are below; resident aged 16-64 years old.
Fresh water rates

B.C. Resident
Annual - $36.00
One day - $10.00
Eight day - $20.00
Canadian not from Alberta - $55.00

Saskatchewan Resident
Annual Licence - $29.44
Three day Resident - $14.72
3 day, Canadian, not from Saskatchewan - $29.44

Manitoba Resident
Annual - $19.83
Annual Conservation License - $13.94 (Reduced catch limits)
Annual Canadian, not from Manitoba - Full limit - $42.40
Annual Canadian, not from Manitoba - Conservation - $22.77

Ontario Resident
Annual Sport Fishing License - $24.75
Annual Conservation License - $14.25
One Day License - Canadian - $11.25
Outdoor Card needed, $9.00, similar to our WIN card.
Other 3 year license options are available as well.
Canadian, not from Ontario -1 day license - $11.25, Outdoor card not needed

Quebec Resident Sport Fishing, No Atlantic Salmon
Annual License -$19.25
3 day License - $11.01

Alberta Resident
Annual License - $26.44
Canadian not from Alberta - $26.44

So as you can see there are other options available in the other provinces.

Some provinces are higher and lower than ours, but most provinces allow for a conservation licence or a reduced time frame at a reduced cost. Most families in Alberta would like to spread their money around. For some; taking their children for $100 round of golf is not an option.

And regarding the full one year expiry not being feasible; I would bet every one here has a different expiry for their vehicle registration and drivers license.

Cam T

Last edited by Cam T; 03-06-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:54 PM

Ten four Cam on the 1 day and 1 week licenses.

One thing I learned on this forum is if you post

"If you do not agree please tell us why."

you're gonna get a response.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 PM

I'll prolly regret typing this, but... I don't see how a 365 day license is more difficult to enforce. This is how I see it going down: CO asks for license, you give him yours, he checks the date on license, looks at his watch/phone/pocket calendar, confirms today's date. Your either within the bounds of your license, or you're not.

As far as having the expirations as a means to ensure conformity to current regulations, ie. you buy your new license when the new fishing reg's come out therefore you should be up to date on all changes. I think most of us could still stay up to date by just picking up the new book when the new year hits, be it new calendar year or new fiscal year.

I don't want to start a flame war, I'm just looking for some discussion. I've been in the sun all day so I'm probably not seeing the other side of the argument properly!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Gone Hunting

If you want to C/R i have no problem with that, go ahead.

Instead of complaining about the fees just go fishing more. I don't see a reason to revamp the system because you don't think you are getting your money's worth. Go bowling, or skiing, or golfing, or whatever, it will be more than 25 dollars.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-06-2010, 07:03 PM

I also agree that our licences are pretty cheap @ $25. I suppose you could charge more for non residents and offer a 3 or 7 day licence for those interested, but they do offer 2 days a year where you can fish without a licence. Really what is $25 these days. As for offfering a licence that's good for a year from when you buy it, I think that just creates a lot of problems by putting the onus on people to keep track of when their's would expire. Much simpler this way, where it expires at basically the end of icefishing season when many of the waters are closed to angling anyway. As for a catch and release licence, the licence is for the right to fish, not keep them. They have introduced the tags for some lakes for the right to keep a few.
Having licences all expire on Mar.31 also means that your licence is dated the same as the current regulations for that year, which have been changing quite a bit the last few years. When you buy a new licence you get a new set of regs for the year.

Last edited by genoel; 03-06-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:09 PM

Sorry Cam, but if people cant / wont spend $25.00 for a year but would spend $12.50 for 3 days or a week?

Catch and release fishermen (which I am and have been for 25 years) are still using the resource and should pay the same.
We do not have the same resources/fish-water as other provinces.

Just my humble opinion though.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=keljay;528883]I'll prolly regret typing this, but... I don't see how a 365 day license is more difficult to enforce.QUOTE]

see below. no regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoel View Post
Having licences all expire on Mar.31 also means that your licence is dated the same as the current regulations for that year, which have been changing quite a bit the last few years. When you buy a new licence you get a new set of regs for the year.
x 2. Those who need control like to keep it simple. Just like your driver's license expires every 5 years on your Bday. Set in stone when it works.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 PM

By the way Cam, no offense, but if that quad in your profile pick is yours, best be stopping beetching about $26 per year.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=tacklerunner;528912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keljay View Post
I'll prolly regret typing this, but... I don't see how a 365 day license is more difficult to enforce.QUOTE]

see below. no regrets

x 2. Those who need control like to keep it simple. Just like your driver's license expires every 5 years on your Bday. Set in stone when it works.
I see your point, it's probably easier just to leave it the way it is. I feel bad though for guys that discover that they like fishing at the end of March, and have to buy a new license right away.

It's nice to see though that most of us are willing to pay a bit more for doing what we love.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:15 PM

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=keljay;528918]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post

I see your point, it's probably easier just to leave it the way it is. I feel bad though for guys that discover that they like fishing at the end of March, and have to buy a new license right away.

It's nice to see though that most of us are willing to pay a bit more for doing what we love.
To discover you love fishing is a priceless thing. Regardless of your means, it is still an inexpensive, affordable yet extremely rewarding and fullfilling sport that all can experience. God bless Mother Nature.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher Gord View Post
the only place ASRD get any money for fish management is from fishing licenses. Money also comes from general revenue. tax dollars. pay for the licenses and think about how you are helping manage the fish so our grandchilren will still be able to fish.
All licence revenue goes straight into general coffers. There is currently no legislation to have all revenues go back into fisheries. That being said...I am not sure exactly how much revenue there is coming from hunting and fishing. Any ideas how much this is versus what the annual F&W budget is?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
All licence revenue goes straight into general coffers. There is currently no legislation to have all revenues go back into fisheries. That being said...I am not sure exactly how much revenue there is coming from hunting and fishing. Any ideas how much this is versus what the annual F&W budget is?
I don't think it's public information or that we can just google and find it on the internet. We should be able to in a democracy but, you know... Could be worse; we could be living in the U*A.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam T View Post
These options would
8) Will reduce poaching; as many people believe spending $25+ for a few hours is too much money.
Is this a joke? You think all this would happen by offering a 3 day, 365 day, or catch and release fee that is half the cost of the fishing permit now?

I dont even know what to say...... its $25...... a savings of $12 will not make any of those 8 points happen.

I agree with the people that think it should be more money. One of the cheapest hobbies there is out there. I have no problem spending more if it results in more money getting put back into the sport, whether it be more law enforcement, better convervation of resources, etc
Old 03-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Cam T

Yeah, that's my quad. Never did I say $26 was too much. And it is no joke Banger. The fact is most provinces offer licence options. You can't honestly tell me that a family of 4 on vacation would not benefit from a option of 3 day licences at a reduced rate. That extra ~$50 would buy the family supper. But if everyone here has no budget, that's awesome. I will write a new letter to establish a license fee of $100 per year and $200 per year for non-Albertans.
How many people here actually take the whole family fishing anyway?
P.S. **** on gun Control too!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam T View Post
I sent this letter to the the people below; I hope many of you agree. If so, I encourage you to do the same. If you do not agree please tell us why.

Thanks;

"Dear
Alberta Sustainable Resource Development, Alberta Conservation, Alberta Fish and Game, My Wild Alberta; and Honourable Members of the Legislative Assembly;

I have been an avid sport fisherman for 20 years, but as of late I just have not had the time to go fishing on a regular basis. I do not think I am alone in this situation, as many professionals are busy people whom may only go sport fishing 1 or 2 times per summer. Because of the current licensing standards, I have not fished or spent any money on fishing gear in Alberta since the introduction of barbless hook regulations. Since I rarely caught fish in one or two outings a year with barbed hooks, why would I want to spend $25.66/year not to catch any fish. I have however went on trips outside of Alberta, purchased a 3 day non resident license and caught fish, and had a great time doing so. I was on vacation.
I suggest changes for licensing sport fishing in Alberta.
I propose that licensing standards be changed, from the single yearly fee of $25.66 + $8.00 for a WIN card to a system with options to chose from.

Now if a family of 4 goes fishing once or twice or even three times a year, the family has a $100 for the licence fee for this entertainment. Probably they would catch and release, if they caught anything at all. The cost is rather high considering they may only fish that one time on a family vacation. There are many entertainment options is this province, I think that some reform is required to be competitive with the consumer’s dollar. The following proposals will benefit Alberta’s Health and Wellness as well as promote recreation in Alberta!

I propose that three additional options be permitted when purchasing a licence.
1) A catch and release licence – 50% off the regular cost, therefore a “C&R Licence” would cost $12.33/annual licence.
Purchasing this licence would not allow any fish to be kept. The majority of people I know; “catch and release”.
2) A 3 day licence - 50% of the regular cost, therefore a “3 day Licence” would cost $12.33. This licence would allow for keeping of caught fish within the legal regulations.
3) Start expiring licenses 365days from the date of issue, I paid for a licence for my step-son to go ice fishing last weekend, the damn $25.66 licence expires March 18th.

These options would

This is a WIN –WIN situation. Please consider for the 2010-2011 sport fishing season.

Thank you"
Just brought that up last week , license should be good for a year from date of issue , lets git er done.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:14 AM

If your complaining about $26 you should sell the quad and the big SUV/truck you use to pull it, then you can buy yourself a nice yaris or hybrid.

Should be able to afford fishing then.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Cam T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beazer View Post
If your complaining about $26 you should sell the quad and the big SUV/truck you use to pull it, then you can buy yourself a nice yaris or hybrid.

Should be able to afford fishing then.
Beaser you are a knothead, where in my post do I say $26 is too much! Read the post before jumping on the wagon.

I really hope that everyone here who thinks $26 is too low a yearly fees, donates to the AFGA or similar charities the amount they believe they should be paying per year. I guess this is the liberal forum.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:34 AM

I agree that we should get liscensed for a whole 365 days of the year.
I can see how the cost is prohibitive especially for people who only fish one time a year.
Every year I buy a National Parks licence for Banff, it really bugs me that if I want to go to Waterton I have to buy another licence.
But at the end of the day, if I golf one round at Kananaskis or Okotoks it costs me more for one round of golf then for all three fishing licence's.
So it really is cheap to fish in Alberta!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:55 AM

Current License costs:

1 day-$26.44/day
2 day-$13.22/day
3 day-$8.81/day

1 week- $0.51/year
1 month-$2.20/year
1 year/day-$0.07(day)./year

You get to choose how many days u can use it(sweet- hows that for a membership fee). Even in larger cities there are rivers running through them + stocked lakes. Not hard to get out even on a budget. And as a bonus, you get the option to keep a few fish if you choose to (helps with food).

The figures above were for a single person/or parent with kids under 16. Even for a family of 4(all over 16), it is still super affordable when compared to anything else other than couch potato growth(even that by the time you pay all soda/beer snacks prolly evens out anyway)!

If they were to up the current fishing license to 40-50 bucks and had a 3 day for for $26.44 that would be OK I guess. And had a senior license and 6-17 youth license for $26.44 then we would be on the right track. However it would sure be nice if the increases etc would go to the fisheries/development end of things.