Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 08:57 PM

Default Muddler minnow

This is western version of muddler minnow,but i have modified it with a much smaller head to prevent purposing,now we have a much more effective fly,fairly simple to tie but very effective ,on a 9672 hook #6 my best fish catcher over 30 yrs--salmon,brown trout,rainbow, brookies,its worth trying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunflowers 005.jpg (22.7 KB, 275 views)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:11 PM

prevent purposing?

Why would we tie a fly with no purpose?
Old 12-14-2017, 06:11 PM

try this

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-14-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
This is western version of muddler minnow,but i have modified it with a much smaller head to prevent purposing,now we have a much more effective fly,fairly simple to tie but very effective ,on a 9672 hook #6 my best fish catcher over 30 yrs--salmon,brown trout,rainbow, brookies,its worth trying.
Muddlers were a go to fly for me when on the coast but never had much luck with them out here.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:28 PM

Default muddler

I to from the coast,fished newfi rivers for over 30 yrs,best season released over 60 salmon one season most on the muddler---tie with small head and enjoy good result again.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:34 PM

Default muddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
prevent purposing?

Why would we tie a fly with no purpose?
i meant porpussing
Old 12-14-2017, 08:22 PM

Default mudder

P S----I have several hundred flies,and believe me most of them have no purpose
Old 12-18-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
i meant porpussing
I think maybe you meant... porpoising
Old 12-18-2017, 07:44 PM

In theory, the large head of the Muddler is a huge part of its effectiveness. They move a fair amount of water this can be sensed by the trout and induce a strike. I have had good luck with them in low light and/or stained water so I think there is something to the theory.

On different forums I have read that many large trout, especially big Browns, are caught after dark on the Muddler where sight would be impossible. Some people claim it is most effective where big Browns target mice on occasion.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:11 PM

Default MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
In theory, the large head of the Muddler is a huge part of its effectiveness. They move a fair amount of water this can be sensed by the trout and induce a strike. I have had good luck with them in low light and/or stained water so I think there is something to the theory.

On different forums I have read that many large trout, especially big Browns, are caught after dark on the Muddler where sight would be impossible. Some people claim it is most effective where big Browns target mice on occasion.
The terra nova river in central nfld has a pool called moonlight about 8-10 miles up by boat from the tch,an old guy told me the pool got its name because the salmon would take at night,i decided to try it,went the moon came out,i cast the big head MM across the pool,i could see 3-4 heavy rises on one cast,i released 3or 4 ,the only time i fished at night,in over 30 years on salmonrivers.day time fishing they would only take the small head MM
Old 12-18-2017, 11:23 PM

Last year I went for a trip to wells grey out in bc, fishing the Clearwater river the fellow at the campsite said the muddler was all I'd need. It was a very steady producer and I used it along with a few of my other flies successfully, really one of the only times I've used it for any amount of time, I should try it more often.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:36 AM

Muddlers greased up and fished dry make a decent hopper imitation.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:33 PM

I’m with a few other posters the larger head can be key to move more water! You can trim them into a wedge to make them dive also, takes a bit of playing around but u can get the best action this way. It’ll you are stripping the fly!?
Old 12-29-2017, 01:31 PM

Default MM

Used the muddler minnow for 30 yrs,on many salmon rivers,lakes,ponds rivers,Just when you think you saw it all an old guy on the sops arm river,white bay nfld,showed me something i had to see to believe,several salmon ,in plain site,would not take anything we offered includeing the MM--A gentleman aproached and said to me Its time to wake the salmon up and asked to try,my fishing pards looked at each other and said go ahead--He proceeded to hit the water very hard,hard enough to make small splashes over the salmon,several times,with a #6 muddler he waited a minute or two then did a slow drift,much to our surprise a salmon broke from the formation and took the fly---You live and learn,i used this technique for many years on many rivers with good sucess.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:01 AM

Default Muddler minnow

Way back, just after I started tying flies, Outdoor Life or Field and Stream ran an article by some long forgotten author. The article was about the 10 best flies to have in your fly box. Of the ten, I can remember only three. Muddler Minnow was one and the other two I remember were Doc Spratley and Tom Thumb.
I started tying the Muddler Minnow in the natural colors, turkey quill, deer hair, tinsel and polar bear hair.
I had limited success with it until I was fishing one day at Echo Lake east of Lumby BC.
It seemed that all I could catch were small native kokanee.
As I passed this shoal area, a fellow in an anchored boat was casting out over the shoal with a wet line. He paused momentarily to let the line sink and then he would start stripping it in with a quick short jerk, rest a second and repeat the performance. There generally wasn't a third attempt as it was fish on.
I asked what he was using, Muddler Minnow says he. Muddlers were kinda unheard of at the time. I got some of those and what color asks the fellow. Regular color. Oh they may not work as well as what Im using. And color is? Green he says. I tried mine anyhow and they caught fish and yes continued to our fish me.
Try to find material in any other color was nigh impossible so I began the dyeing material phase. There must have been a run on green dyes because all I could find was spruce green. Go with what's handy. Next lake a short time later, was Alleyne Lake south of Merritt BC. Casting over the shoal with spruce green Muddler netted fish after fish.
I still tie the Muddler, spruce green, green green, rouge, natural, a couple of dark browns. black. And if I cannot find the color I want, I'll dye it.
I think the Muddler Minnow is the most versatile fly there is and fly fisherman should not be without a few in his flybox.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:22 PM

[IM
Old 01-01-2018, 10:19 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Was trying that in the previous post. I have a long learning curve.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:41 PM

Default green mm

Green muddler minnow,your post did not go unnoticed,invited on a fishing trip to BC next spring ,now i got to track down some green dye,many fishing trips have been sussessful by useing flys and methods from other fisherman.--On a foothills river,last spring,walk in 5 people,nothing moveing,the muddler hit the water,bang nice trout released,reeled in,had lunch,tied the same muddler on the rookie in the bunch,you guessed it made his day---shareing--is part of the fun-----
Old 01-02-2018, 07:54 PM

Default M minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Was trying that in the previous post. I have a long learning curve.
The mms looked well tied--just gives a fellow goose bumps seeing all those beauties together--had some great success trolling with the mm aroung Grand cache --Even my headstrong fishing companions finally accepted my mm gift resulting in a couple of monster trout brookies---everyone got nice trout a trip to remember,a fun night around the fire with drinks--------
Old 01-04-2018, 11:24 PM

I tie my muddler many different ways but have never experienced them having the issues you tried to describe

Old 01-09-2018, 11:53 PM

Default mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
I tie my muddler many different ways but have never experienced them having the issues you tried to describe

The main reason i tied the mm with a very small head ,was to keep it just under the surface long casting nfld salmon rivers,this was way more effective than if with a large head they broke the surface the salmon wouldnt take,it was trial and error over 30yrs,now in alberta and bc the muddler still extremely effective--not at lakes like bullshead,and police outpost there i release many hugh trout with a float indicator and small dubbed flies--have to adjust to the trout-----
Old 01-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Smile

I tie a wide variety of muddlers. Some have cone heads, some are very sparce muddlers for fishing at the west coast. The sparce one's work great for coho, chum and sea run cutthroat.

I often fish a muddler on the Bow. Some with a cone head, others without. I tried to convince a friend of mine for about 4 years to use a muddler. I even gave him a few to put in his fly box. He always scoffed at it, and said he would stick to his dries and nymphs. Finally he was having a tough day on the Bow and decided to just tie on a cone head muddler because nothing else was working. He ended up having a great day and landed a couple nice rainbows. His text to me was just a picture of the chewed up muddler and all it said was "saved the day".

These one's I had tied are far from perfect. I tied them quickly a few years ago the night before I headed out for a fishing trip to the west coast. The fish didn't seem to mind the imperfections.

Natural Muddler tied very sparce.

Chartruce Muddler tied very sparce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Natural Muddler.jpg (133.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Chartruce Muddler.jpg (37.2 KB, 148 views)
Old 01-29-2018, 01:59 PM

Default MM

Yes indeed,More than once i stopped fishing at police outpost and took time to drift in on the hugh eagles perched in the pond side trees.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
I tie a wide variety of muddlers. Some have cone heads, some are very sparce muddlers for fishing at the west coast. The sparce one's work great for coho, chum and sea run cutthroat.

I often fish a muddler on the Bow. Some with a cone head, others without. I tried to convince a friend of mine for about 4 years to use a muddler. I even gave him a few to put in his fly box. He always scoffed at it, and said he would stick to his dries and nymphs. Finally he was having a tough day on the Bow and decided to just tie on a cone head muddler because nothing else was working. He ended up having a great day and landed a couple nice rainbows. His text to me was just a picture of the chewed up muddler and all it said was "saved the day".

These one's I had tied are far from perfect. I tied them quickly a few years ago the night before I headed out for a fishing trip to the west coast. The fish didn't seem to mind the imperfections.

Natural Muddler tied very sparce.

Chartruce Muddler tied very sparce.
Kingfisher, those are some nice flies. Not to nitpick but these are Rolled Muddlers, not Muddler Minnows (I know you know that). They are my favourite Coho fly, particularly a blue rolled muddler. The naturals are killers on sea-run cutts when the salmon fry are out-migrating.