Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2015, 11:48 AM

Default Tenkara Fly Fishing

Anyone down for some Tenkara Fly Fishing this season?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:00 PM

If your in the Edmonton area check out the NLFT Apr 8th that's there program for the night.

Tight lines Always
Dennis S
Old 03-24-2015, 04:53 PM

thanks for the info. Ill check it out if I get to Edmonton around that time.
Have you tried Tenkara Fishing?
Old 03-25-2015, 07:48 AM

not yet but I have my tenkara rod. I have use tenkara flies on a conventional fly rod and they look and acted great. The hackle folds over and action is unbelievable and the air bubbles it collects is really neat. Several of my fishing buddies started last year and they are having a ball.

Tight Lines Always
Dennis S
Old 03-25-2015, 12:51 PM

I got one for Christmas and started this winter, managed to get a fish on the first day out. The minimal set up time when you show up at the river is amazing.

I have a 10'6" TFO soft hackle.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:39 PM

Yeah I cant wait to use mine this year, I got my Tenkara rod late last year and i used in Waiparous for the first time and i couldnt believe how fast i was able to get a Cuttie with that setup, it was fun! I already ordered my Kebari Flies so excited to use those too...

Did you guys hear that an Online Tenkara Shop is opening in Airdrie?... if i can get Flies and rods there... im pretty sure we can get it pretty quick.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:26 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Tenkara fishing just a stick and a string?
Old 03-26-2015, 02:49 PM

Pretty Much.. but isnt most types of fishing, sticks and strings? I can see that Tenkara seems so simple in equipment, but it is so much fun trying to catch fish a different way. Its not the fish itself that makes fishing fun, but the fight and challenge to bring it in without a reel is just as fun.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:34 PM

I kind of like the whole casting thing. Gives me something to do when I. Not catching fish. Think I'll stick to my fly rods...
Old 03-27-2015, 10:38 AM

Pardon my ignorance please, but what is tenkara fly fishing?
Old 03-27-2015, 11:50 AM

Default good thing for a bad shoulder

My buddy's dad says he uses one on small water when his shoulder bugs him. it allows him to fish more often and for a longer period. more challenging for sure.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
Pardon my ignorance please, but what is tenkara fly fishing?
Fixed level line (no reel), the typically is not weighted. Allows for delicate presentation. Developed many years ago in Japan. Modern rods are telescopic. Great for nymphing and dries.

More info

Tenkarausa.com
Old 05-29-2015, 05:08 PM

I've been fishing Tenkara exclusively for the last three years and I have been Fly Flyfishing for 35 years. This method has provided me more fish and better presentation then I would have ever expected. I've used this method for both large and small water and have caught some very large fish.

Caught this a couple years ago, and yes it was a fight, but I landed it well and was released without incident.

I began Fly Fishing with my Grandfather as a boy age 6 or 7 and he was Fly Fishing in the 40's when it was thought of as a fad. I started on cheap handed down gear and learned to tie flys to replace the ones I lost. When I was older and had more income I fell into the gear ***** trap and spent top dollar on my gear and it became an obsession. I ended up fishing with an older gentleman who had a bamboo rod with a beautiful old Hardy reel and a half dozen flys in a tiny box hanging from a lanyard around his neck. Some of you may know who I'm talking about. I thought, "this guy is about the experience and not all that interested in catching fish". Boy was I wrong. He just wanted to simplify things. No extra gear, no need for a ton of flys in heavy boxes; the guy didn't even wear waders. He out fished me and it opened my eyes. I began doing the same thing and that began my pursuit of simplicity. Then I discovered Tenkara and I rarely ever picked up the fly gear anymore and in the last few years I haven't touched a fly rod. Those that say it is a fad or only good for tiny creeks have not tried it long enough. It isn't for everyone but if you like simplicity it cannot be beat.

Anyone looking for info on Tenkara PM me and I would be glad to help you out.

Tight lines,

Jeff
Old 05-29-2015, 08:07 PM

Great story Jeff! Thanks for sharing your experience!

P

-Confucius
Old 05-31-2015, 11:49 PM

What kind of fly did that bull eat? A traditional tenkara fly or can you fish streamers on them effectively as well?
Old 06-01-2015, 05:37 AM

I was using a small streamer. You need a stiffer faster rod in the 8:2 range to turn them. I was running an 18" furled Tenkara line and 5' of 4x tippet.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 AM

Had terrific luck this weekend at Three Isle lake with my tenkara rod. Lots of 8-10 inch cutties and a really nice 14 incher. Lots of snow and ice up there, only a few open spots to fish and it's mostly frozen over in the mornings