Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-07-2008, 09:58 PM

Default re-bareling

Hi to all ,does anybody have any knowledge on re-bareling a rifle.My question actually is what can 1 do with certain calibers.I realize it must be done by a good gunsmith but which caliber is best. For ex. Can you get a 270 wsm out of a 30/06, 300wsm out of a 300wm ??????????? so on.............All bolt actions of course.Your input is appreciated Thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300ultramagnut View Post
Hi to all ,does anybody have any knowledge on re-bareling a rifle.My question actually is what can 1 do with certain calibers.I realize it must be done by a good gunsmith but which caliber is best. For ex. Can you get a 270 wsm out of a 30/06, 300wsm out of a 300wm ??????????? so on.............All bolt actions of course.Your input is appreciated Thanks
An '06 actioned rifle can be rebarrelled to WSM chamberings, but the bolt face must either be opened up , or in the case of the Savage, changed to accomadate the larger base of the WSM.
A 300 can be done no sweat, but then, you are already dealing with a longer action, so some folks would say that it is defeating the purpose.

I tend to agree, unless you want to use really long bullets .....
Cat
Old 12-07-2008, 10:40 PM

Changing calibres during rebarrelling is not a big issue if the new calibre is from the same cartridge family.

ie.
308 Win = 243 Win, 260 Rem, 7-08, 338 Federal

30-06 = 6-06 (Wildcat), 25-06, 270 Win, 280 Rem, 35 Whelen, I recall a 375 from this lineup as well.

The WSM receivers and bolts should all be interchangeable.

If your swap is not from the same cartridge family, you may experience more difficulties, or at least additional labour in machining. I have heard a few funny stories from smiths about guys buying a short action Remington SPS and expecting them to turn it into a long action magnum.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Changing calibres during rebarrelling is not a big issue if the new calibre is from the same cartridge family.

ie.
308 Win = 243 Win, 260 Rem, 7-08, 338 Federal

30-06 = 6-06 (Wildcat), 25-06, 270 Win, 280 Rem, 35 Whelen, I recall a 375 from this lineup as well.

The WSM receivers and bolts should all be interchangeable.

If your swap is not from the same cartridge family, you may experience more difficulties, or at least additional labour in machining. I have heard a few funny stories from smiths about guys buying a short action Remington SPS and expecting them to turn it into a long action magnum.
This is correct.
Some of the problems can be feeding and ejecting problems.

For ease of transition especially if on a budget, stick to the family groups of cartridges, or Ackley or Gibbs converions of the same group.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-08-2008, 07:12 PM

I agree with you, Dick. I see you mention the Gibbs line of cartridges. Do you have any experience with them? I got a rifle rebarreled to 340 Gibbs recently, and I've just about finished it up and would like to work up a load soon. Pretty much just looking for first hand experience on the Gibbs line. I am knowledgable and capable of making brass for it out of 35 Whelen. Thanks for any help, Eric
Old 12-08-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
I agree with you, Dick. I see you mention the Gibbs line of cartridges. Do you have any experience with them? I got a rifle rebarreled to 340 Gibbs recently, and I've just about finished it up and would like to work up a load soon. Pretty much just looking for first hand experience on the Gibbs line. I am knowledgable and capable of making brass for it out of 35 Whelen. Thanks for any help, Eric
Known a few fellers who had em, but no first hand knowledge... Sorry

There are no absolutes
Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300ultramagnut View Post
300wsm out of a 300wm
hey guys, cat, dick...
can a 300short fat be made from a full length 300? other than a bolt being extra long and the wsm is markedly shorter OAL would the old chamber cut off and rethreaded, then grind a new chamber?
or is this a typo?

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
hey guys, cat, dick...
can a 300short fat be made from a full length 300? other than a bolt being extra long and the wsm is markedly shorter OAL would the old chamber cut off and rethreaded, then grind a new chamber?
or is this a typo?
Totally doable, no sweat, as the WSM case is as wide as the belt of the standard 300 mag.

However, many older magnum barrels are worn enough that cutting back to fresh rifling is a nogo because of the lack of shank left in the barrel!

If the barrel is fairly fresh there is no problem however.
Blackman had this problem with his 7STW made from a 7mm mag, however he was not informed by the gunsmith of the amount of erosion in the barrel, and ended up with rifle that eventually got rebarrelled after much frustration of trying to work up loads.

My 6.5WSM needed to have 4 full inches cut off its shank to hit fresh rifling, but the barrel was initially made to allow for this exact problem.
Cat