Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2008, 08:21 AM

Default Reboring a Rifle

Well I tried to get the Savage 99 to shoot good groups with no luck. I got pretty close with a certain load (thanks Harold) but still not something I would hunt with.

It's in 250 Sav now and I'm thinking of trying to salvage the rifle by reboring it to 300 Sav.

Is anyone aware of any problems I might run in to?

Is the brass identical or are there other changes that need to be made?

Who would you recommend for this kind of work?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
MK
Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 AM

Call, D. Henry at 403-748-3030

He only answers the phone on Wednesday's

It might be even cheaper to think rebarreling all together.(cost analysis)

Another option would be to contact someone with a bore scope to have it looked at, it could be anything from bedding, or a bad crown that is causing your issues, or then it might just be as you suspect.

Take the lower cost route before sinking a bunch of cash into it.

PM on it's way

There are no absolutes
Old 12-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Gone Hunting

"Well I tried to get the Savage 99 to shoot good groups with no luck. I got pretty close with a certain load (thanks Harold) but still not something I would hunt with."

What does this mean? What kind of groups are you getting and what are your expectations?

A tight bolt action with a great trigger and great optics will probably shoot much better groups thay a 99 in .250/3000 and a so so scope.

You could spend a lot of money converting it to something else and still not have a tack driver if that is what you personaly require.

There are times when a fast handling, fast second shot from a lever gun (your 99) has an advantage over a slow and cumbersime tack driver.

Robin in Rocky
Old 12-11-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Well I tried to get the Savage 99 to shoot good groups with no luck. I got pretty close with a certain load (thanks Harold) but still not something I would hunt with.

It's in 250 Sav now and I'm thinking of trying to salvage the rifle by reboring it to 300 Sav.

Is anyone aware of any problems I might run in to?

Is the brass identical or are there other changes that need to be made?

Who would you recommend for this kind of work?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
MK
A rebore may not be needed, but rechamber job may suit things better.

There are very few barrel smiths around capable of reboring because of the
tolling and machines needed.
Ron Smith is one.
Mick McPhee is another ( he does only 30 cal jobs.
I would contact Ron Myself, if you aree sure the gun needs this drastic work.
Cat
Old 12-11-2008, 04:10 PM

My Savage 99G/.250 shoots MOA or better off the bench with both 87gr Hornady's and Speer 100 grainers.It shot one hole with some discontinued 100gr KKSP round nosed Dominions I pulled and reloaded.Is your's a worn takedown model per chance?If so can be tightened.I'd be surprised to find a Savage 99 that wouldn't provide hunting accuracy at least 2"-3" at 100 yards.Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater...................Harold
Old 12-11-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
"Well I tried to get the Savage 99 to shoot good groups with no luck. I got pretty close with a certain load (thanks Harold) but still not something I would hunt with."

What does this mean? What kind of groups are you getting and what are your expectations?

A tight bolt action with a great trigger and great optics will probably shoot much better groups thay a 99 in .250/3000 and a so so scope.

You could spend a lot of money converting it to something else and still not have a tack driver if that is what you personaly require.

There are times when a fast handling, fast second shot from a lever gun (your 99) has an advantage over a slow and cumbersime tack driver.

Robin in Rocky
Hi Robin,

Were talking 3 or 4 inch groups at 50 yards and only with 87gr bullets. I had Dave Henry clean the bore, put on new rings and base with windage and a VX III.

I shot my first deer(s) with this rifle and my late father hunted with it for years. It along with the sentimental value has an exceptional stock and a very slim design. It is made of a wood that is dark and harder than a rock with nice hand checkering. I still can't figure out the model but it was made in 1922.

I just want to get it out of the safe and in 300 sav. it would be a great little bush gun that I would use.

Thanks for the reply,
MK
Old 12-11-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
A rebore may not be needed, but rechamber job may suit things better.

There are very few barrel smiths around capable of reboring because of the
tolling and machines needed.
Ron Smith is one.
Mick McPhee is another ( he does only 30 cal jobs.
I would contact Ron Myself, if you aree sure the gun needs this drastic work.
Cat
Hi Cat,

What do you mean by rechamber and how does it help?

Dave Henry also reccomends Ron Smith. Do you have any contact info or know where he lives?

Are you aware of any problems in the rotary mag as far as converting to 300 goes?

Thanks,
MK
Old 12-11-2008, 04:55 PM

Let me see what I can find out from some smiths on a Savage site.I think the existing .250 spool will work for the .300 Sav as well.............Harold **A takeoff barrel in .308 could be set back and rechambered
Old 12-11-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
My Savage 99G/.250 shoots MOA or better off the bench with both 87gr Hornady's and Speer 100 grainers.It shot one hole with some discontinued 100gr KKSP round nosed Dominions I pulled and reloaded.Is your's a worn takedown model per chance?If so can be tightened.I'd be surprised to find a Savage 99 that wouldn't provide hunting accuracy at least 2"-3" at 100 yards.Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater...................Harold
Hi Harold,

Tried the recipe you gave me in the spring and it was the most stable. I can get one or sometimes two on the mark and then a wild one.

It is a takedown but it was tightened and locked up years ago.

The 100gr KKSP was what my dad and I use to shoot through it and I remember it shooting fine. That was 30 years ago and maybe my memory is not great.

I am willing to try anything to keep it 250 but I'm thinking I'm out of options??

Thanks for the reply,
MK
Old 12-11-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Let me see what I can find out from some smiths on a Savage site.I think the existing .250 spool will work for the .300 Sav as well.............Harold **A takeoff barrel in .308 could be set back and rechambered
I never thought of that. I was considering a new barrel but with the blank at $400 and about $400 in fitting it didn't seem practical. There is a unique barrel on this old girl. It has the front sight as part of the barrel with brass insert and a cut in dove tail at the back. It is also quite short. This as well as cost (I was told under $500) is what got me thinking rebore.

Thanks,
MK
Old 12-11-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Hi Cat,

Dave Henry also reccomends Ron Smith. Do you have any contact info or know where he lives?

Ron lives up around Wimborne, # will be in the book, although not too sure if he is still going or not.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:27 PM

Still going, I think is Son or Son in Law is doing most of the heavy work though.
403-631-2405

There are no absolutes
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Hi Cat,

What do you mean by rechamber and how does it help?

Are you aware of any problems in the rotary mag as far as converting to 300 goes?

Thanks,
MK
Ron is in Winborne, out by Red Deer.
I believe his son is doing a lot of his work now,as Dick mentioned.

As far as rechambering goes, many Smiths can do this job, all that is needed is reamers and a lathe.
it involves setting back the barrel and recutting the chamber into fresh rifleing.
Yours however, sounds like it is too far gone for that....
Cat
Old 12-11-2008, 06:42 PM

I remember reading somewhere that Savage changed the rate of twist over the years. Check the rifle twist, 1 in 14" (I believe later production) better with lighter bullets, 1 in 10" twist (early production?) better with the heavier bullets. If you haven't already tried it, a change of bullet weight back to 100 grain + may be your answer.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:47 PM

Could be a bitch removing the barrel if it was a takedown and permanently made a one piece.I believe the takedowns also used an unusual thread type?........will look into it.Harold
Old 12-11-2008, 07:14 PM

Dave Henry also had/has barrel importing permits from Midway USA and they carry economical Adams +Benett barrels in .257 bore that could be fitted perhaps..........canadiangunnutz.ca is a wealth of info as well.....Harold
Old 12-12-2008, 03:53 PM

How about simply relining the bore using the original chambering and this time with a 1-10" twist instead of 1-14".There is a place in Sask.that does this.M+S Stocking 306-628-3281 FAX 306-628-4241.......................Harold

Last edited by Pioneer2; 12-12-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
How about simply relining the bore using the original chambering and this time with a 1-10" twist instead of 1-14".There is a place in Sask.that does this........................Harold
Just got off the phone with Ron Smith. He says he hasn't had a lot of good luck reboring 99s. He says the metal although not particularly hard has a tendency to tear rather than clean cut. He has done some and people say they shoot OK, but to use his words "It's your baby if it doesn't work"

Do you have any contact info for these folks in Sask that reline?

Thanks,
MK