Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-16-2020, 08:25 AM

Default Best Ultralight Tent for Hunting

Hey guys n' gals, just looking for some experienced bivvy hunters to chime in on their preferred ultralight camp tents.

I'm in the process of getting ready for my first multi-day bivvy hunt in September with some buddies that I met on here, and I'm trying to decide between the REI Quarter Dome SL2 and the Tarptent Double Rainbow. It really comes down to value (price vs. performance vs weight).

Most of the reviews I read are for either the Pacific Northwest or California/Arizona, so if any of you Albertans have used either I'd be very interested to know your experience in September/October hunts.

And if you have another suggestion that won't break the bank I'd be open to it as well.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2020, 09:43 AM

Are you set on having a floor and a traditional style tent with a fly? You can get a lot more room for the same amount of weight with a tee-pee style tent. I happen to have one for sale in the buy and sell. Shameless plug i know
Old 07-16-2020, 11:53 AM

Yeah, I've looked at the Tipi styled tents, but would prefer a floor I think.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:59 AM

For hunting, I just use a tarp. Theres no bugs out so IMO they work about as well as a tent. I use a stick and guy line to prop up one corner, and peg down the other three. Sets up and takes down in minuets.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:20 PM

Are you looking for an actual bivvy or a tent? For just you or you and a buddy?
Old 07-16-2020, 12:54 PM

Yeah, sorry, the bivvy term gets thrown around a lot.

Looking for a 2 person tent, for myself only, want some extra room for all the gear, etc.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:11 PM

Default Best Ultralight Tent for Hunting

What are you hunting? Do you plan on setting up camp above tree line and in wind exposed areas? How many nights in a row?

My experience is that sleep is sacred to keeping up energy and morale on multi day hunts. A bombproof but (relatively) lightweight tent like a Hilleberg Nallo will fit the bill, if your budget can handle it.

Otherwise the MEC Spark might be worth looking at if budget and weight are your top priorities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2020, 02:23 PM

I'm with Dave on this one, but if you're set on one of the two i'd probably go with the rainbow, it packs smaller and has more head room.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:30 PM

Hilleberg is hands down the best but youll pay for it. Stone Glacier makes a great 2 man tent and is just awaiting on the arrival of their new version. I pulled the trigger on the old version as I couldn't wait any longer for my mountain goat hunt. There is a dealer in BC called precision optics.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
What are you hunting? Do you plan on setting up camp above tree line and in wind exposed areas? How many nights in a row?

My experience is that sleep is sacred to keeping up energy and morale on multi day hunts. A bombproof but (relatively) lightweight tent like a Hilleberg Nallo will fit the bill, if your budget can handle it.

Otherwise the MEC Spark might be worth looking at if budget and weight are your top priorities.

Starting out by going for rifle opener for Elk in the mountains (mid September).
3 nights in a row, max. I don't think we'll be setting up above the treeline, but still TBD.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:12 PM

For early season or light and fast type solo setups I straight up run a bivy bag https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/a...SAAEgIjDfD_BwE It works really well set up in seconds light weight and takes up little room. Cons are your gear is out in the weather.

I have been running a older 2 man mountaineering tent for late season but everyone else seems to think they want to climb in there with me because it’s a 2 man tent and there to lazy or cheap to buy there own. Pros is getting away from the weather like snow driving rain and wind. Cons other people weight setup time heavy.

When I’ll be looking at replacing my tent it’ll be with a setup like this https://seekoutside.com/silvertip-tipi/ with A stove jack. Pros lighter than my tent stove sleeps me and my gear. Cons brother-in-law magnet price is in USD.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
For early season or light and fast type solo setups I straight up run a bivy bag https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/a...SAAEgIjDfD_BwE It works really well set up in seconds light weight and takes up little room. Cons are your gear is out in the weather.

I have been running a older 2 man mountaineering tent for late season but everyone else seems to think they want to climb in there with me because it’s a 2 man tent and there to lazy or cheap to buy there own. Pros is getting away from the weather like snow driving rain and wind. Cons other people weight setup time heavy.

When I’ll be looking at replacing my tent it’ll be with a setup like this https://seekoutside.com/silvertip-tipi/ with A stove jack. Pros lighter than my tent stove sleeps me and my gear. Cons brother-in-law magnet price is in USD.
haha, best post in this thread that seek gear looks good, just south of the border here, seems like they get this mountain stuff
Old 07-16-2020, 03:17 PM

We love the Seek Redcliff. But, no floor. We throw a tarp down in base camp. It’s so nice to be able to stand up in your shelter for minimal weight penalty
Old 07-16-2020, 05:53 PM

My first backpacking tent was a Alps Mountaineering Vertex 2.0(2 person but for me it's perfect for myself and gear). It's been really good but kind of heavy at almost 6lbs. My new one is the MEC Spark 2, also a 2-person but again perfect for one guy and gear. It's a lot lighter but so far has stood up to a pretty severe early season snow storm last year, all my hunts are in the Kootenays. The older tent was not very pricey but stood up to nine years of mountain hunting really well, it actually is in excellent shape I just wanted something lighter and packed smaller.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:36 PM

I've consistently used just a tarp for shelter in the Willmore until it's colder than -10 BUT I've got a good sleeping bag and a really good sleeping pad. The shelter is just for sleeping in, and in 20-30 nights of bow season, October rifle, even in to November we've been lucky enough with weather to not need more.

If you have a decent bag and sleeping pad (and good merino wool tops and bottoms,) I'd recommend just trying the tarp and seeing what the other guys are running for tents, and what you like and don't like before spending $350USD plus shipping. If weather goes to crap you can store gear under the tarp and steal a spot in buddy's tent, or just get tough.

Sorry I can't provide specific info on the tents but they both seem pretty quality and very similar.

Mitch
Old 08-01-2020, 03:20 PM

Hilleberg aren't even close to ultralight... I'm looking into the Dan Durston X-Mid 2P currently.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 06:08 PM

Default Ultra light

Trying out my kuiu ultra star P1 this aug.. sure is small.
Going to bring a bivey just incase..lol

Like my mountain hardware but its heavey in comparison's
Old 08-01-2021, 08:35 PM

The msr hubba hubba is another option to consider.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:25 PM

What about the lite outdoors tipi, mine worked great from our hike into Michelle lake this weekend rained on us yesterday tent was great, for 2 people
Old 08-03-2021, 05:00 PM

I bought a one Tigris smokey hut tipi w stove jack off their website a couple years back for 25$ iirc....insane price. Have used it on multiple trips in all kinds of weather and its held up fantastically. It's a 10' round print and about 5'9 or so to the peak.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Hilleberg aren't even close to ultralight... I'm looking into the Dan Durston X-Mid 2P currently.

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

Nobody said the Hilleberg was an ultralight. It is a bombproof tent that can safely and comfortably withstand wind, weather and cold. Better than any other company that I have seen.

I had to look up that Dan Durston tent, looks interesting.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:59 AM

Anyone have any experience with the brand TarpTent? I'm looking at their Notch model. Trekking pole tent weighing well under two lbs. They also make a cuben fibre model that's even lighter
Old 08-09-2020, 02:12 PM

Over the years I have used the Hilleberg Allak, Anjan 2, Anjan 3, Anjan 3 Gt, Akto and Niak. I currently own the Allak 2 (use when moose hunting and returning to a central location) and the Stone Glacier Skyscraper.

Out of all those tents, the Niak is the best, I regret selling it.

Rob
Old 08-12-2020, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy The Kid View Post
Anyone have any experience with the brand TarpTent? I'm looking at their Notch model. Trekking pole tent weighing well under two lbs. They also make a cuben fibre model that's even lighter
that search led to me one called the seekoutside silex that i like look of better than tarptent options, but of the tarptent options liked look of protrail/motrail most

seekoutside silvertip looks kick arse, someone mentioned it here also
Old 08-12-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
that search led to me one called the seekoutside silex that i like look of better than tarptent options, but of the tarptent options liked look of protrail/motrail most

seekoutside silvertip looks kick arse, someone mentioned it here also
Hey thanks! I think I like the look of the Silex better. And half the price
Old 07-18-2021, 10:14 PM

Default Seekoutside Tipi Tent

Just bought a 6 man Seekoutside Tipi tent and its amazing. So much room, light weight and well constructed.

Shipping was fast and I also sprung for the xl stove which isnt all that much weight. Expensive but well worth it on those cold rainy days.

I'll post some pictures when I figure out how.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:54 AM

If you want a floor and bug protection(not really necessary during hunting season) an ultralight bivy under a tarp seems to make a lot of sense.

A well set up tarp can provide good shelter, not as good as a teepee and that stove sure sounds wonderful when it’s wet or cold out. I’ve slept under a tarp often and they’re good shelter for the weight.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:17 AM

Default Seekoutside

I have a six person seekoutside tipi with a titanium stove, mostly used where wheels can go but have packed it on my back up a mountain once with a friend. It has withheld a ton of time (7years now) ive spent probably over 200 nights in it and most times have been not the best weather. My only complaint is you gotta have a spare spark arrestor or else you are gonna be busy sealing up all the little holes from the sparks out the stack. The zippers still work great, these guys make some quality stuff. Weighs about 12lbs with the stove. I have built a floor for it so when i go where wheels go its quite comfortable in any weather. The floor is awkward and heavy, made from plywood and styrofoam.

I cant seem to upload the photo