Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-23-2012, 12:25 AM

Default Robinson Arms mishap at the range today.

Hi, this is the email I sent to Robinson Arms today. Just seeing I'd any of you knowledgeable folks have any other ideas.

I purchased my Robinson arms xcr-l about two weeks ago new. I took it to the range today to *sight in the scope I mounted on it. On the 10th shot (it had never been fired at this point) something broke. The bolt stayed back and cocked and did not chamber another round. When I attempted manually recharge the bolt with the bolt knob it just slide back and forth free sliding without out catching the bolt. At that point upon further investigation I noticed a small silver spring and the bolt release button on the concrete by my feet. The bolt release button has a small rod attached to it about 2" in length.*Upon further investigation it appears the the rod has literally broken off from something inside the rifle. The rod appears to have snapped, showing the course aluminum colored metal underneath the flat black Colour. I've attempted to disassemble the rifle by following the instructions provided with its purchase but have fallen into more hardships. The lever/push button that you manipulate to break apart the lower and upper receivers now also seized and will not budge. Please help me find someone in my area who can help me with this issue. If its not a warranty issue can you please recommend someone who is qualified in helping me fix this issue regardless? I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Kindly,

Ramonmark
Old 08-23-2012, 02:36 AM

Bolt catch failed, and bolt is locked open?? There is a square piece ontop of the pin that stops the bolt when mag is empty. Could be what has the bolt hung up or buffer or parts of mag, or crooked bolt. That button that separates the upper from lower reciever, when pressed should close the bolt. See if you can tap/ shake the rifle a bit to get it to come free while pulling back/forward on charging handle. If that fails, take out the pin in front of mag well that hold the upper and Lower together BOLT might slap shut at anytime so watch your pinkys. Try Pulling upper foward and up off lower.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:47 AM

Something not right. Save yourself some grief and ship it back, rather than messing around with it.

They should make it right with you.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:13 AM
Banned

I want one, I really do. Looks like it is made of "plastic" tho. What do you think of it? "Besides the faulty catch"
Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Something not right. Save yourself some grief and ship it back, rather than messing around with it.

They should make it right with you.
X2. 2 weeks old, should be easily covered under warranty barring any misuse or abuse, which it doesn't sound like from your description. Where did you buy it? May be able to just return it for a replacement at the point of purchase and they'll return the rifle to the mfg. Saves you the hassle.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

Sell it or return it and never look back. I had and urge to buy one but it's all gone after I saw a few 'test' videos on Tube. It's not you, abuse or misuse - they just SUCK.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
I want one, I really do. Looks like it is made of "plastic" tho. What do you think of it? "Besides the faulty catch"
They're not plastic. The one I had was very accurate and worked very well for me.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 08-23-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_1 View Post
Sell it or return it and never look back. I had and urge to buy one but it's all gone after I saw a few 'test' videos on Tube. It's not you, abuse or misuse - they just SUCK.
Pretty bold statement for never having touched one, "but I seen a video on it once, there junk" lol
I have 8000rnds down mine, haven't had an issue, sometimes firing up to 1000rnds/ day. Field strip in seconds too, with out tools.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:31 PM

If in doubt call Wolverine Supply out of Manitoba, they are the importer and will set it strait, you'll probably have your parts Monday morning.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Thanks guys. I'll see what I can figure out before I send her back. I would like to try it myself just because I bought it at sports mens den in red deer and I live in Edmonton. Just saves the drive. Worst case I'll take her back, their good people and sure theyd help me out. As far as the rifle tho, it's all metal with the odd piece of plastic on the butt stock. I was testing 4 different makes of factory ammo. The hornady Superformance was grouping and .9", hornady zombie max was at 1.1" and the federal gold medal match was at .8". All three shot groups, on the 10th shot starting the next groupings this all happened so
I never got to test the other make of ammo. I think I'll just use the hornady superformace for the price compared to the gold metal match. Shell work great for yotes at mid range shooting. Anything longer than that Ill use my custom 243 build.

Onca again thanks for the help.