Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2015, 11:01 AM

Default Common sense. Respect the laws, values, traditions of your new country if you want to be a citizen

Regardless of who you are.

citizenship ceremony refusal
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-29-2015, 11:07 AM

Him standing on Canadian soil is an insult. He's been here 15 years so my guess is he has a government / University job as well. Way to take a dump on the hand that feeds you.

Yea he can leave any time

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 11-29-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Regardless of who you are.
Not sure why you had to link out. Deflection?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:38 AM

If you want to become a citizen, them give your oath as required, no matter how stupid it is. That being said, as far as I am concerned, the oath should be done away with as should all ties to the monarchy of any kind.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:39 AM

A poll added to this thread would be interesting....as a Canadian how would you feel if you had to publicly swear allegiance to the Queen and her heirs?

happy to do it.
to heck with that.
only if I had to.

I'd suspect a lot of Canadians wouldn't be up to it.???
Old 11-29-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you want to become a citizen, them give your oath as required, no matter how stupid it is. That being said, as far as I am concerned, the oath should be done away with as should all ties to the monarchy of any kind.

Yes, start out your first day as a Canadian Citizen with a big fat lie!! Some people believe an oath should mean something.....integrity and all you know.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
A poll added to this thread would be interesting....as a Canadian how would you feel if you had to publicly swear allegiance to the Queen and her heirs?

happy to do it.
to heck with that.
only if I had to.

I consider myself an Albertan , and a Canadian, but I will never swear an oath to the monarchy.

Quote:
Yes, start out your first day as a Canadian Citizen with a big fat lie!! Some people believe an oath should mean something.....integrity and all you know.
Integrity, has nothing in common with the monarchy, or our government. Many of the 25,000 refugees that are coming will tell lies to get here, and we will never know the difference? It isn't right, but what can we do about it?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-29-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:54 AM

Regardless of your views on it, the Monarchy helped shape this country into what it is. I wish our government would man up sometimes, send him back.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post

happy to do it.
to heck with that.
only if I had to.

Until the country changes a new immigrant shouldn't set the law. Disrespecting current traditions is something travellers to other countries learn. Canada deserves respect.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-29-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Until the country changes a new immigrant shouldn't set the law. Disrespecting current traditions is something travellers to other countries learn. Canada deserves respect.
You might take a charge at the Supreme Court of Canada. They are the ones that set the tone about the monarchy bit in the oath and that is why people can renounce it. Might find the Liberals will renounce it soon as the last Liberal PM almost did but his gonads slipped.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Regardless of your views on it, the Monarchy helped shape this country into what it is. I wish our government would man up sometimes, send him back.
Hundreds of years ago, the monarchy may have served a purpose, but these days, it offers no benefit to Canada. We are supposedly a democracy, so why would we need a monarchy?
Old 11-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
The monarchy built the county, it didn't shape it. No Britain = no Canada and no Alberta. Seems straight forward .
Old 11-29-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
The monarchy built the county, it didn't shape it. No Britain = no Canada and no Alberta. Seems straight forward .
The monarchy didn't build anything in Canada, the immigrants that came to this country built Canada, and many of them were not even british subjects.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:21 PM

I am very liberal, pro Syrian acceptance, but this is unacceptable, pull his residency and send him packing.

To me this isn't about the monarchy, it's about not accepting the Canada we are today.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:38 PM
Banned

So this toolbag thinks he's better than the hundreds of thousands of Canadian citizens who have served in the Canadian Armed Forces? The millions more who have immigrated to Canada? What's the big deal? It's a bunch of words, every one joining the CAF has to recite the oath so what's this douchebags problem? Just recite it with your fingers crossed if he doesn't agree with it. He should have his citizenship denied on the grounds of being an insufferable, childish, attention seeking *******.

I don't have much time for the monarchy either but this moron is poking a stick in the eye of tradition, no better than the muslims with the demand to wear their niqabs and burkas during the oath.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
The monarchy didn't build anything in Canada, the immigrants that came to this country built Canada, and many of them were not even british subjects.
Actually they were, and today the majority ethnicity in Canada is British. Most people on the east coast are of British descent.

I don't see why people are so quick to try and turn their backs on Canadian history when we tell all the immigrants to keep their history alive and well. Makes no sense.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:36 PM
Gone Hunting

attention *****. Send him packing back to Israel.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Banned

We are a country of immigrants. He plans on recanting "after" the ceremony.

Q: How long should you be a citizen before you can try to change a law or verbally oppose something within the government's bureaucratic process? Should there be a probation period for new citizens?

I commend Bar-Natan for standing up and doing something he believes in, even though I believe he is wrong. Many "old guard" Canadians like to moan, whine, and complain to each other, and on internet forums but sadly maybe 1/10th of 1% actually take action.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Banned

If Justine keeps it up we'll probably be booted from the Commonwealth soon anyways.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=7...1&binPageNum=1
Old 11-29-2015, 03:11 PM

Common sense is a very rare thing these days, obviously. The thread about what Putin said, whether it's a hoax or not, is bang on IMO.

Kick this guy's ass straight out of here. Can't stand this crap. It's totally out of control and it just keeps on getting worse.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post

. . . I don't have much time for the monarchy either but this moron is poking a stick in the eye of tradition . . .

That's ^ usually what happens with an old, outdated tradition ... it gets it's eye poked!

This is how the Oath of Canadian Citizenship officially reads now;
"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen"

If I were tasked with rewriting the oath, to bring it up to date and make it much more meaningful, this is how I would have it read;
"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Canada, it's People, and Government, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen"

No offence to anyone here, but I don't think any Canadian (born here, or immigrated) should be asked (or required) to pledge allegiance to a queen or king. Isn't it 'finally' time, we cut this last apron string?!

Let the arrows fly!

Mac
Old 11-29-2015, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
That's ^ usually what happens with an old, outdated tradition ... it gets it's eye poked!

"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen"

If I were tasked with rewriting the oath, to bring it up to date and make it much more meaningful, this is how I would have it read;
"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Canada, it's People, and Government, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen"

No offence to anyone here, but I don't think any Canadian (born here, or immigrated) should be asked (or required) to pledge allegiance to a queen or king. Isn't it 'finally' time, we cut this last apron string?!

Let the arrows fly!

Mac
No. It is who we are. Tradition, culture and Canadian history may not mean a lot to you but it does to me and many other Canadians.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post

Let the arrows fly!

Mac
It's way overdue. Getting rid of a monarchy that serves no useful purpose would not in any way change who we as Canadians are. Becoming a democracy was progress, although some people may have not been in favor at the time.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:33 PM
Banned

She's been wasting good coin space for way too long!!!

Take your pick:

or
Old 11-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Banned

I know I wouldn't swear any pledge to the queen. And I actually like her. The whole monarchy thing is a silly nod to tradition.

Having said that...he has the option of not swearing the oath and going from whence he came.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Hundreds of years ago, the monarchy may have served a purpose, but these days, it offers no benefit to Canada. We are supposedly a democracy, so why would we need a monarchy?
On a separate note, I'm sure you've got quite a bit of stuff kicking around the house that you haven't used in years, are you going to throw it out tomorrow?
Old 11-29-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
On a separate note, I'm sure you've got quite a bit of stuff kicking around the house that you haven't used in years, are you going to throw it out tomorrow?

If it hasn't been used in years, and it is of no value to me, it has already been thrown out. I certainly wouldn't keep spending money to keep it.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Jeepers our own citizens born in Canada can't even respect the laws etc we need to set the example for others to follow. We as in Canadians.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...