Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 01:07 PM

Default Lots of choices...

I’m an electrician with red seal. Primarily industrial. I worked in oilfield for 5 years and got my ticket. I got lucky and was employed mostly by good companies as an apprentice and learned a lot. 8 years later I’m 25 and I work on the west coast of Nothern bc at a grain shipping plant as maintenance. Make 45 an hour and home every night 15 minutes from home. My personal opinion is this..and I might catch some flak for this...if you want to start a trade Alberta is not a good place right now...to many unemployed skilled guys and not enough projects. But their is always a shot. Northwest B.C. is exploding right now...New Propane shipping facilities being built on the coast and LNG projects. Plenty of work up here and no workers that are local. Other trades I would consider would be heavy duty mechanic and crane operator. Good luck with your choices I firmly believe the trades are almost never a bad decision.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:40 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and keep them coming. I’m going to rule out firefighter. I’ve seen enough emergencies to last a lifetime, as emergency services is what I had to leave. I didn’t rule out a return, but after being out I want nothing to do with it. My wife is also happy with that decision, and doesn’t want me going back into that line of work as well.

Interested to hear about the Water-Waste Water side of things. I was contemplating that because it’s only 1 year at NAIT and apparently a lot of outside work.

Also as a side question how did you guys get into the trades. Most of the ads I’m seeing already want you to have your apprenticeship in place.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 10-18-2019, 01:56 PM

Here is one that most people don't think of as a "trade", but what about the various things IT. I have made a good life for my family and me with just a 2 year community college diploma. The upside is that allegedly even in these economic time there is a shortage of IT folks in Alberta (according to a news article a few days ago)
Old 10-18-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and keep them coming. I’m going to rule out firefighter. I’ve seen enough emergencies to last a lifetime, as emergency services is what I had to leave. I didn’t rule out a return, but after being out I want nothing to do with it. My wife is also happy with that decision, and doesn’t want me going back into that line of work as well.

Interested to hear about the Water-Waste Water side of things. I was contemplating that because it’s only 1 year at NAIT and apparently a lot of outside work.

Also as a side question how did you guys get into the trades. Most of the ads I’m seeing already want you to have your apprenticeship in place.
If you were a medic you should know fire does diddly squat as far as emergencies or work in general. Easiest money a high school grad can ever make.
That said, I understand never wanting to help the public again lol.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:21 PM

IT is interesting. I just figured that there'd be relatively low demand for it. Also need two years of full time schooling which we could maybe make work, but its more of a challenge for sure.

Fire is easy money until its not. Although in saying that of the 3 emergency services careers I think firefighting is probably the best for your overall health. One of the issues for me would be that most of the fire services in Alberta are dual service. If you want to do straight fire, you have to live in Calgary or Edmonton basically. I think Grande Prairie is also straight fire, but most do both. Id like a career where I dont need to be in a major city to do it.

In saying that I have contemplated going for forestry and doing wildland firefighting. Ive done a bit with our volunteer fire department and enjoyed it.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 10-19-2019, 06:47 AM

Default Let the trade find you.

Times are tough and apprentice trade jobs are hard to find ,never mind just thinking of a trade to get into.
To get into a trade you need to find a company that will hirer you as an apprentice

Let the trade find you !
Just start looking for any company that is looking for a first year apprentice .
Old 10-19-2019, 08:01 AM

Many places offer pre employment programs for various trades. Red Deer college, NAIT, SAIT and other places . You come out with first period of school done and have some hands on experience.

When I did this in the mid 90s I had to find a place for work experience. Worked for free for 2 weeks, then was hired on as an apprentice. I got lucky because at that time is much like now for jobs. Economy wasn't good.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:38 PM

I have a good job right now, just gone a lot. But that’s normal, so I’m not in a rush to find something. Really want something that I can do long term, not hard on the body, and home every night. If I have to move we can do that for the right career.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
IT is interesting. I just figured that there'd be relatively low demand for it. Also need two years of full time schooling which we could maybe make work, but its more of a challenge for sure.

Fire is easy money until its not. Although in saying that of the 3 emergency services careers I think firefighting is probably the best for your overall health. One of the issues for me would be that most of the fire services in Alberta are dual service. If you want to do straight fire, you have to live in Calgary or Edmonton basically. I think Grande Prairie is also straight fire, but most do both. Id like a career where I dont need to be in a major city to do it.

In saying that I have contemplated going for forestry and doing wildland firefighting. Ive done a bit with our volunteer fire department and enjoyed it.
I was on a wildfire crew for years. In the summer you can be away for months at a time and its very hard work.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:12 AM

I are welder. Any trade has value, and you can make it into much more than the trade itself. I am well educated, but still are welder... It's what you make of it. I have a BSc, but life pointed me in a different direction. Turned my summer job as a helper, into a career. I put in the hours and worked my way up to a M-F, office job. Home every day by 2:30 usually. I spend most of my days reading blueprints, and arguing with engineers, instead of throwing sparks and crawling through the mud. Red seal journeyman with b-pressure. Seen and done it all, currently a CWB supervisor, and tickets out my ying yang. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will say, I will never go back to the travelling lifestyle, bouncing from job to job. That will destroy you...
Old 10-20-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spd View Post
get into the water/wastewater industry.. its an industry that never slows down especially on the municipal side. there are lots of opportunities to transfer all over the country if you want. lots of companies are hiring green guys with a decent salary or wage to get you in the door and lots of opportunity to move up the ladder if you are good.
Not as easy, I am a certified water/ wastewater with levels in wastewater collection, water distribution and wastewater treatment. Jobs in that field are not that easy to find, been applying all over including BC.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I think plumbing is the best trade to get, but I'm a plumber, so obviously biased.
I wouldn't start an electrician apprenticeship, both because I'm not gay, and because there are already a lot of electricians out there. I know too many out of work electricians right now.
Oh wow....I just spit coffee out. Well done!!! Ahahahha
Old 10-20-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Oh wow....I just spit coffee out. Well done!!! Ahahahha
Yeah same here LOL
Old 10-20-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't rule out IT just yet unless sitting at a desk in an office somewhere for most of your day sounds like misery defined. Remember that IT goes far beyond just simply tech support and writing code. There are a whole array of positions in that industry that need good, smart, non-techie people. Business Analysts, Project Managers, Client/Business Relationship Managers, the list goes on. Essentially, people who can be the proper link between the business area, and the dev teams. I worked in IT for a short bit in a business analyst type role. I have no formal education in anything IT (albeit I do have a BCom but never took the courses that taught business analyst stuff). Lots of people in the non-developer roles in the IT don't have much formal education in IT/comp-sci either but somewhere along the lines found themselves in the industry and found they enjoyed it.

Where your background could seriously come in handy is working for a company that builds software for emergency services (or something of that realm). Being able to properly understand what an ambulance company or fire dispatch really do need in terms of a program/website/database and then being able to communicate that to the devs teams to properly construct what is needed in a timely manner is GOLD in that industry. Way too often software companies will have just devs and devs-who-moved-into-other-roles staffed at their company, and they struggle to actually understand and realize what the client wants/needs as they have no experience or idea how the client and their respective industry operates. This is a typical cause of strain on the development process.

Oh, and the pay in those industries can be pretty nice, and those who can really bring business value earn not bad cash. I knew lots of PMs and BAs who incorporated themselves and contracted themselves out while billing well over a $100/hr. Decent considering you have no tools to pay for, no real overhead, and you sit in an air conditioned office that isn't in the middle of nowhere (and can usually work from home some days).

Of course, saying that is much easier said than done. I don't even know if there is a company that builds software for emergency services in Alberta, or heck even Canada. But just some more food for thought. IT isn't a sexy industry to work in, but it's easy on the body, and the industry is only becoming more and more in-demand as everything moves further and further to being totally technologically based. I mean heck, just think of how much tech is on a drilling rig nowadays. All of that was created by PMs and BAs and CRMs meeting with oil companies, figuring out what they need, and then translating that need to a team of probably geeky 20-some-year old devs who have never stepped foot on a lease in their life.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
If you were a medic you should know fire does diddly squat as far as emergencies or work in general. Easiest money a high school grad can ever make.
That said, I understand never wanting to help the public again lol.
Yeah fire fighters are the worst....they are sworn to protect your life, property and the environment during fire, medical, rescue and hazmat events, they cut people out of cars when they’ve been involved in severe MVCs, they provide life saving first aid during medical events (along side the dedicated AHS staff), they investigate fire damage and contribute insight to help improve building codes, the fire dispatchers take calls from people during some of the worst days of their lives and reassure them that help is on the way, fire fighters present and speak about safety at schools and community functions. When everyone is running out, they are running in. Terrible, selfish, lazy bunch though....
Old 10-22-2019, 02:59 PM

Wink Dual Tickets?

Although these trades are typically natural enemies, I have heard that tradespeople with dual tickets usually make out very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plumber or electrician.jpg (32.2 KB, 69 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-22-2019, 04:14 PM

I see quite a few postings for apprentice electricians. You might have to put up with some crap for a year or two, but that’s the price. Unfortunately, downward wages are taking hold.

I’m an IP electrician / Millwright and take time off without fear of not finding another ‘job’. HD mechanics are doing wel, as is building controls. As mentioned earlier, BC is crying out for trades in some of the nicest country around.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:24 PM

Im a hd mechanic. Depending who you work for and what industry, your body will take a beating specifically knees and back. If you wanted to pick this trade try and get on with a company that deals with lighter equipment like Kubota, Hertz etc.

I am looking into trying something new and different. Not sure where to start as I cannot afford to take a huge wage cut. I feel your pain as to not knowing which direction to go.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:09 PM

I have been in the water/wastewater side of things for 25 years. If you have any specific questions i will do my best to answer them. Shoot me a pm.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 10-22-2019, 07:14 PM

HD mechanic here, I have many times considered getting into servicing elevators.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:24 PM

Sheet metal , we are busy as ever and have been since long before the recession hit
Old 10-23-2019, 04:00 PM

Default Employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I have been in the water/wastewater side of things for 25 years. If you have any specific questions i will do my best to answer them. Shoot me a pm.
I have also been involved in the Water / Wastewater industry for over thirty years.
Maybe not the most glamorous job, but it pays the bills.

John
Old 10-23-2019, 06:02 PM

I've been an electrician for the past decade, before that i was a glazier. I've been a supervisor for the past 5 years and it's pretty tough out there at the moment. A lot of my friends have been out of work for quite a while. Things feel like they're picking up but no trade is really recession proof. If I could do it all over again I would become a sprinkler fitter. Wage is great and the job is pretty easy going. Either that or try and get on as a powerline technician. Good wage as well, but you'd be outside 90% of the time and may have to travel.

Like someone else in the thread said though, having a ticket in any trade is valuable.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:43 PM

Concrete finisher.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:21 PM

Electricians are a dime a dozen right now. The industry was flooded by AIT. On top of that alot east coast guys fly in and out making it even harder. I would go Refrigeration mechanic. Always an ac unit, kitchen cooler, grocery store freezer that goes down. You would be home every night and pay is pretty good.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:35 PM

Thanks guys, I think I’ve gotten enough recommendations for HVAC/Refrigeration that I’ll try and get into that or crane operating. With the way the election went it’ll be interesting to see if I can find a job here in Alberta, or will need to move.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys, I think I’ve gotten enough recommendations for HVAC/Refrigeration that I’ll try and get into that or crane operating. With the way the election went it’ll be interesting to see if I can find a job here in Alberta, or will need to move.
What part of AB are you located in?
Old 10-25-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
What part of AB are you located in?
Right outside Red Deer, not much happening in this part of the world with the slowdown in drilling.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Right outside Red Deer, not much happening in this part of the world with the slowdown in drilling.
Yep, pretty much. Shoot me a PM if you ever decide to look for work in Calgary. I have a lot of contacts in a few different trades in the city.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:23 PM

Hey Raab,

There is always corrections if you want to stay in AB. Two years ago I wouldn’‘t have told anyone to give this a shot but with the way jobs are being flushed away like turds, at least you will never be laid off as a guard. They have been hiring tons over the last 6 months.

Just another idea.