Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 AM

Default GoPro Perch Strike/Hookup Video

Here is some underwater footage thanks to the GoPro, we didn't even know all these fish were down there. Even though the water was clear with the snow on the ice it made them difficult to see in the fishing hut. I sped up parts and slow motioned the strike and hook sets. Makes it a little more interesting to watch. Good clear footage. Gopro was just sitting on the bottom. I have more footage from after we put it on a tripod but it was getting darker. I'll make that one some day. For now this is what I got.

http://youtu.be/taWyjQaCWzw
It is under 5 minutes long, no narration.

Brandon
Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 AM

Great stuff. Love it.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 AM

Starring: Yellow Perch. Awesome video.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 AM

Wicked Video. I sure love the GoPro's. Do you have the 3? I have it and they have an Iphone App that you can use via WIFI to view what the Camera is seeing. It's a little delayed but works well for setting up angles and different views. I'm just not sure the WIFI would have a strong enough signal in the water let alone the ice.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulful View Post
Wicked Video. I sure love the GoPro's. Do you have the 3? I have it and they have an Iphone App that you can use via WIFI to view what the Camera is seeing. It's a little delayed but works well for setting up angles and different views. I'm just not sure the WIFI would have a strong enough signal in the water let alone the ice.
It doesnt . I built a custom rig for that exact purpose only to realize as soon as it hits the water, signal is lost.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 PM

Nice video and good job!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulful View Post
Actually I had the first GoPro wrist cam and then When they came out with the GoPro Hero that is what I got. So I have not upgraded since then, but this GoPro Hero Black edition is tempting me. I think I'll wait and see if they come out with a version 4 next year. But this black edition has amazing definition from the image reviews I've seen, and the WiFi capabilities are great. Too bad it doesn't work in the water.

Brandon
Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM

A silly question.....how did you know what your go pro was pointing at....could you see it down the hole, or was it just luck it ended up the right way?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeonhound View Post
A silly question.....how did you know what your go pro was pointing at....could you see it down the hole, or was it just luck it ended up the right way?
Actually the GoPro is quite highly visible down the hole and easy to see to line it up with all of your holes. If it were deep water it would just be dumb luck. Wait till you see the video on a tripod it is pretty sweet, but the light was getting lower that is the only bad thing. I'd like to send it down to the bottom of cold lake and get some of that one video that would be awesome!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM

careful how far down you send it i had my seal fail under only ten feet this summer
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaystev View Post
careful how far down you send it i had my seal fail under only ten feet this summer

If your seal failed you must have done something wrong, like have dust or dirt in the gasket area. I've gone scuba diving with mine to 60 feet and it works fine. The sight says good to 60 meters or 197 feet. I would let the company know and see what they do for you. I had a housing crack and they sent me a new one for free. Great company! Just make sure you clean the white gasket well under hot water with soap then you know you'll have a good seal when you close it up. Did you tie the line to the hinge cause that will pop it open too. I did that at first and was lucky it didn't open up under water.

There are two videos on youtube of lost Gopros in the ocean, one lost for 2 months and one for 5 months I believe. Found later and still 100% sealed and camera/SD card fully functional inside. Amazing stuff!

Brandon
Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 PM

Cool video, thanks for the post.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 PM

Great video once again Brandon !!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 PM

thats awesome. so hilarious. love the music
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 AM

Nice video Doc! Interesting that even with the odd shape of the cicada the perch can still consistently inhale the hook.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uicehole View Post
Nice video Doc! Interesting that even with the odd shape of the cicada the perch can still consistently inhale the hook.
Yeah I love the Cicada, one of my go to hooks for big perch. Happened across it on accident while fishing for walleye with the larger cicada's.
Works great.

Brandon
Old 01-16-2013, 05:32 PM

Great footage! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 PM

Really impressed with the clarity. Sure beats my aquaview.

Tags
gopro, ice fishing, underwater, video, yellow perch