Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 AM

Default Amazing Pike Strikes Underwater - GoPro Trolling

Watch as Northern Pike Attack a jointed Salmo Crankbait Underwater. I built an underwater housing to troll with and tried it out for the first time. This is what happened. Filmed at Floatingstone Lake with clear water and the fish were on the prowl. Check out how these water wolves track and pounce on the helpless plug. Personally this is the most epic underwater fishing film I've created this year. Check it out, lots of action and some surprises that I never would have expected if I didn't see it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUXdhg8gCL0

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 AM

Thats awesome!

I hope to get some of Walleye on bottom bouncers with my camera attached to
downrigger (Aqua Vu camera with HDS 9 to view and record).

Might be a little while before we get clear water again down south though.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:44 AM
Banned

hard to tell, but i would guess that you were using a single barbless hook. a couple times the pike spit out the hook after swallowing or biting.
in any case thats some great undewater footage.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:44 AM

Very cool, thanks for taking the time to put that together.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:04 AM

That was really cool!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:09 AM

Fantastic video lots of action
Old 06-19-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
hard to tell, but i would guess that you were using a single barbless hook. a couple times the pike spit out the hook after swallowing or biting.
in any case thats some great undewater footage.
No not at all that's what I thought was amazing was this was a small crank with two barbed trebles brand new out of the package. I would have never guessed pike can spit a hook that fast.

Glad you guys enjoyed it.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 AM

Here's a beauty from iFish Alberta - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hVtr6rCa6M

Pike attacks the Aquaview! Fish dentist.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 AM

Great Job, i always enjoy your videos.......and ya amazing how quick they will spit that hook.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:01 AM

That is freaking awesome. Nice work!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Watch as Northern Pike Attack a jointed Salmo Crankbait Underwater. I built an underwater housing to troll with and tried it out for the first time. This is what happened. Filmed at Floatingstone Lake with clear water and the fish were on the prowl. Check out how these water wolves track and pounce on the helpless plug. Personally this is the most epic underwater fishing film I've created this year. Check it out, lots of action and some surprises that I never would have expected if I didn't see it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUXdhg8gCL0
Great footage. You can sure see what effect trolling at sub optimal speeds has. Also liked the fact that it showed them not hitting them head first.

What speed were you trolling at? I have found that my hookup ratio increases if I speed up the troll. Especially when you seem to be getting plenty of nibbles but few solid hookups. By speeding up the troll under those conditions I feel that the extra speed sets the hook and I can boat more fish.

What was the longest you have seen one of those pike follow your lure? I have seen Lake trout follow mine for a few Kilometers which gives you lots of time to play with speed and directions changes to get them to strike.

Thanks again for the post.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Great footage. You can sure see what effect trolling at sub optimal speeds has. Also liked the fact that it showed them not hitting them head first.

What speed were you trolling at? I have found that my hookup ratio increases if I speed up the troll. Especially when you seem to be getting plenty of nibbles but few solid hookups. By speeding up the troll under those conditions I feel that the extra speed sets the hook and I can boat more fish.

What was the longest you have seen one of those pike follow your lure? I have seen Lake trout follow mine for a few Kilometers which gives you lots of time to play with speed and directions changes to get them to strike.

Thanks again for the post.

The pike maybe followed for a minute at the longest. When three were following we were actually stopped to reel in another fish that's why the hook was barely moving. Range of speed from 1.6 to 2.6 mph. The problem with speeding up more is the engine would scare the
Fish since right below the boat.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
The pike maybe followed for a minute at the longest. When three were following we were actually stopped to reel in another fish that's why the hook was barely moving. Range of speed from 1.6 to 2.6 mph. The problem with speeding up more is the engine would scare the
Fish since right below the boat.
Thanks
Old 06-19-2014, 12:04 PM

Brandonkop: I would be very interested in seeing the housing you made for you go pro to take this video. I really like the footage and would like to try it myself. Any chance you would be prepared to share your invention? Before you do, I think it is only fair that I should state there is probably a market for this. I would certainly be interested. The problem is the application requires very clear water lakes. Few in Alberta, but I know of a number in Saskatchewan. If you are interested in developing this, let me know by PM and I will put you in touch with a guy that can show you lake trout all summer long on a very clear lake.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:17 PM

awesome footage and very innovative!
Old 06-19-2014, 12:25 PM

Very cool. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhawk View Post
Brandonkop: I would be very interested in seeing the housing you made for you go pro to take this video. I really like the footage and would like to try it myself. Any chance you would be prepared to share your invention? Before you do, I think it is only fair that I should state there is probably a market for this. I would certainly be interested. The problem is the application requires very clear water lakes. Few in Alberta, but I know of a number in Saskatchewan. If you are interested in developing this, let me know by PM and I will put you in touch with a guy that can show you lake trout all summer long on a very clear lake.
Unfortunately someone already has a patent on a trolling case for go pro and sells them for a pretty penny but they are pretty inexpensive to make. I'll make a video on how I built it. But for now here is a picture.

I'll be taking it to be next and see what I get there.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:53 PM

Awesome. I would have never thought Pike could spit a hook like that either. Were you able to feel those strikes? Have me wondering how many fish I've missed in my life now.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately someone already has a patent on a trolling case for go pro and sells them for a pretty penny but they are pretty inexpensive to make. I'll make a video on how I built it. But for now here is a picture.

I'll be taking it to be next and see what I get there.
That's amazing! Great work.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
Awesome. I would have never thought Pike could spit a hook like that either. Were you able to feel those strikes? Have me wondering how many fish I've missed in my life now.
This is a downrigger set up, you don't hold the rod. It sits in a rod holder. I noticed the rod bounce a few of the times when they would hit but them they would be off so fast couldn't even grab the rod. This was only from about an hour of fishing and two of the fish out of all the strikes were actually hooked. I think the proximity to the boat and being only a few feet from a downrigger ball and the camera shown has something to do with their precaution. Because my brother was just dragging a crankbait and he doubled my hits and fish to the boat. I was just doing this to get video, its not to catch fish. The enjoyment comes after from watching what happened down there.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:45 PM

Great video and idea of using Go-Pro as a under water tool

you are helping change the way we think about fish

Thanks for sharing

David
Old 06-19-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Great video and idea of using Go-Pro as a under water tool

you are helping change the way we think about fish

Thanks for sharing

David
Thanks Speckle55!

Old 06-19-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
This is a downrigger set up, you don't hold the rod. It sits in a rod holder. I noticed the rod bounce a few of the times when they would hit but them they would be off so fast couldn't even grab the rod. This was only from about an hour of fishing and two of the fish out of all the strikes were actually hooked. I think the proximity to the boat and being only a few feet from a downrigger ball and the camera shown has something to do with their precaution. Because my brother was just dragging a crankbait and he doubled my hits and fish to the boat. I was just doing this to get video, its not to catch fish. The enjoyment comes after from watching what happened down there.

That makes a bit more sense. Still a few of the strikes it looks like they nearly swallowed the hook. And pike being a fish that strike hard I can't begin to imagine how many Bulls, etc that I've missed. Once again...Great Job.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 AM

I built a very similar setup last year for fishing at the west coast for salmon. But instead of hanging a cannoonball to the setup, I just attached a small weight directly to the bottom of the housing. The force of the housing moving through the water keeps it pretty stable....and I just needed something to keep it upright (hence the weight attached). And like you, I attached it to the downrigger cable and it worked fairly well. I could only go about 15 ft down to get clear video and anything deeper started getting too dark. Clarity was best when it's clear and sunny.

Tags
fishing, northern pike, underwater, video