Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2019, 09:54 AM

Default Chiropractors, are they all the same?

Have been using a chiropractor for many years but it doesn’t seem to matter what type of back/neck issue I go in with I get the same twists and cracks done every visit. Each visit lasts approx 4 minutes then flip out the Visa for an extra fee of $55.00 before I walk out the door, which is ridiculous! Interested to try something different..
Do chiropractors all practice in the same manner along with charge the same fee?

Looking for chiro in Sherwood Park if anyone has one to recommend.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:59 AM

There is actually a large variation in how they practice and the services they offer. While some may offer the more well known treatment of twists and cracks as you say, others are very focused on soft tissue treatment, with some specializing in Active Release which can be very effective. Take a look around and see if you can find someone who offers broader services, and if you think you're having soft tissue struggles try to find someone who has more of a sports focus.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:07 AM

Big difference for some reason.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:07 AM

They’re useless. Go see a real massage therapist. The one that does deep tissue massage, scraping and cupping. I’ve had way way better luck with them compared to a chiropractor.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:22 AM

I think in some ways we all are somewhat slaves to how we were trained.
When entering any career it is a persons responsibility to seek out the best and most innovative training. Then of course the best and brightest continue to rise to the top like cream.

Cookie cutter training yields cookie cutter results.

One of the best physical therapists I ever encountered specializes in Equestrian rider injuries. A bit like the Good Doctor- Gets quiet and seems to visualize what is going on inside. And then spits out her diagnosis and treatment plan.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:41 AM

For the adjustments I would get in the instance of a back injury I found that my regular chiropractor did the trick but that sometimes if I went to another I could not get results because with the unknown chiropractor I couldn’t relax my muscles enough for the adjustment to take. Once was while I was up in Ft Mac and another when my chiropractor was on holiday and not available.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:43 AM

Inversion table
Old 10-14-2019, 10:50 AM

I found one that fixed me up in a couple of visits to the point where an injury I got when I was twelve would hold for a while. When he retired I went to another one and it was a visit twice week at $40 a visit. After two weeks of no results I asked him point blank why one chiropractor could relieve the pain in the initial visit and he couldn’t. He told me quote “if I fixed everybody on the first visit I would go broke”. I was as honest with him as he was with me and told him he was pathetic little man and a thief to boot.
Went to a one here and she is supposed to be naturopath chiropractor of some sort and the first visit was the most painful I ever experienced. I figured no pain,no gain so I went back a couple of more times which were some what better but not getting much relief from the pain. The last time I went when she was done I couldn’t move if my life depended on it. Totally paralyzed. When I told her what was going on she reached down under me and pressed a spot in between my shoulders and it released something and I could move. Scared the crap out of me. I am convinced she is a sadist.
I’ve had two that genuinely helped me. The rest used my pain as a regular paycheck.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:41 AM

Default Chiropractor

Try Dave Linford in Sherwood Park . If he doesnt work out for you, Darren Gerioux at South Edm Physio. Darren is a registered massage therapist and he has been helping me for the last couple years.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Inversion table
I grabbed one @ Costco and it did work. It also takes a bit to relax your muscles for. No shortage of fun loading that onto the cart and into my vehicle when my back was out!
Old 10-14-2019, 12:04 PM

If the practice of chiropractic was so valuable why is it there is only 1 school in all of English Canada?
You'd think universities would be clamoring for a chiropractic school same as they do for medicine.

The fact is chiro has very little redeeming medical value.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:25 PM

You know I was also suspicious of chiro until my best friend I’ve known since I could remember went to school for it in Portland. He already completed a four year kinesiology degree, and the schooling for his Chrio degree was another grueling four years that required an undergraduate degree. He would have 11 finals in one semester. It’s not a “pay and receive” type of degree.

He basically told me some chiros just do the same adjustments and cracks for just raking in cash because for a lot of people, that’s all they want and hearing/feeling those cracks is a sort of placebo effect that works for them.

Others work nearly like a physiotherapist that also do adjustments and cracks as seen fit. They will prescribe/recommend stretches, exercises and more to build a more long term solution for pain/discomfort of body movement.

Seems to make sense to me. Chiro is a much more wild wild west of the medical world with a ton of phonies and morons, but also a lot of those helping a lot of people get over back pain and much more.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Have been using a chiropractor for many years but it doesn’t seem to matter what type of back/neck issue I go in with I get the same twists and cracks done every visit. Each visit lasts approx 4 minutes then flip out the Visa for an extra fee of $55.00 before I walk out the door, which is ridiculous! Interested to try something different..
Do chiropractors all practice in the same manner along with charge the same fee?

Looking for chiro in Sherwood Park if anyone has one to recommend.
Dr ZImmerman in fort Sask is friggin magician ive actually got a hotel room up there for a week just to go see him. He starts out slow but man when your fixed yer fixed for a long long time
Old 10-14-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
They’re useless. Go see a real massage therapist. The one that does deep tissue massage, scraping and cupping. I’ve had way way better luck with them compared to a chiropractor.
I too had far better results with massage.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-14-2019, 12:53 PM

The chiro I go to does acupuncture first hooking electrical stim up to the needles. He leaves you twiching away for 30 to 45 minutes and then does his adjustment. It costs more but I have had good results.
Was talking to a lady the other day who goes to see her chiro once a month for a tune up and has less back problems
For myself I have to get into a better stretching routine so I do not get so stiff.
It seems the older you get the more your body wants to stiffen up.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:22 PM

Default Chiropractors, are they all the same?

I’ve had several over the years, and I know what many of you talk about where you hand your Cash over Like clockwork after a few cracks and twists.

I had a fantastic one in Edmonton, though. I was good for a long time after a visit with him. Unfortunately, he’s long gone now. He focused on massage, stretching and rarely made anything snap, crackle or pop.

Getting to the point where I need to find someone again. I just get turned off when I go somewhere and am enveloped in whale noises and incense...
Old 10-14-2019, 05:53 PM
Banned

I found that of the different chiropractors that I tried, the ones that had a background in sports medicine seemed to be the best.

Chiropractors are the only thing that has kept my dad out a wheelchair, and I’m following down the same path. They aren’t for everyone but for me and my Dad, they work. My mother typically sees no benefit out of going, so she doesn’t go.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:06 PM

Default Flex Chiropractic near the courthouse. Good folks.

Put my back out in the 90s. Friends said “go to chiro” They flat out f&$ked me up.

Swore I would never go back.

Got rear ended very gently last year and developed a kink in my shoulder and neck. It was excruciating and getting worse. Could not sleep.

Went in. They listened to me. Formed a plan. And stretched me out more than adjusted. Taught me how to stretch myself. They warned me it would hurt (and it did).

Either guy there was great.

Six weeks later they told me to keep the stretching at home up and come back in if I felt I needed more. No pressure or games to keep me coming in.

Have been fine ever since.

I highly recommend them
Old 10-14-2019, 06:07 PM

whenever I start to lean a little too far one way or the other, I see Dr Layton in Taber . Fixes me up up in 1 visit. Yes chiropractic works for me.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:17 PM

Been using them for 40 years .
Find if you have a very sore back he will ask you to come back for about a month Almost the same amount of time it take to heal on its own .

I almost believe when he gives you a crack something is released naturally from the body that relaxes that area.

I have asked what they really are doing when they are doing a back adjustment and was told its like having a tight rusty door and he is just helping open and close it .
Old 10-14-2019, 06:25 PM

Go see Dr. Tim Sharp. My best friend is a long time massage therapist and he has worked with and been to lots of chiropractors, massage therapists and other health care professionals. He drives here from BC to see Dr. Sharp. I have never been to a chiro but if he recommends it to me I 100% trust his endorsement. He is in Edmonton.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-14-2019, 06:30 PM

Try physiotherapy - there is actually some scientific evidence for what they do, and they get to the root of the problem with strengthening/mobilization as opposed to the chiros that just offer a magic fix.

Chiropractors are classified as alternative medicine (as opposed to Western Medicine). I'm sure there are a few good ones, but there are a lot of quacks that will sell you vitamins and chelation therapy too. Be cautious of the quick fix.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:33 PM

I have been to three over the years, female one was most gentle, the second male kept trying to separate the partially fused vertebrae I have and the third hurt my ribs quite badly...would never ever see one again.

I was recommended a physical Osteopath by a friend with a long history of back problems unsolved by anyone...until she went to Intrinsi, so I went. Initially I went for 4-5 1 hour sessions and felt great, they also teach you some exercises that I still use 7 years later. I have been back twice since then, back is still pretty decent.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:06 PM

I have had amazing results from a chiropractor, going from virtually crippled to pain free in two visits two days apart after a month of agony, to six weeks of treatment to get the feeling back in my fingers after three went numb due to a pinched nerve. I have also had good results from a deep tissue massage when my back spasmed on a vacation, and I was facing a four hour flight, with severe back pain.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:00 PM

I have had good results from my chiropractor. He is a quick in and outer. I tell him what is sore. He does his thing on my back and neck. Literally 4-5 minutes. Must make a boatload of money, but I feel much better within minutes.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:04 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chir..._and_criticism

For subjective improvements on ailments see: confirmation bias
Old 10-14-2019, 09:54 PM

In short nope they are not all the same. I've gone most of my life and while massage therapy is nice, sometimes the only thing that works is a chiro.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Inversion table
I asked my Chiro about them a few years back, and he told me to absolutely try one! He said " in all honesty, for some it works, for others it doesn't. Knowing your issues, it may just help you out and save you some sessions with me"!
That was about 5 years ago, and this was the first year I never took it down south on my annual bird hunt!
My Chiropractor BTW , used to compete in strong man competitions, and sponsors then now, his wife is a massage therapist as well.
I would not be walking without pain these days if it were not for him, due to too many wrecks off the job and accumulative long term injuries on the job.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-14-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chir..._and_criticism

For subjective improvements on ailments see: confirmation bias
That says it all. Right up there with Graham and his wafers and the flaky Kellogg. symptoms of that era.

Grizz
Old 10-14-2019, 10:37 PM

people can call it whatever they like, it works for me.....
Cat