Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 AM

Default Canadian Tire - Tire Warranty

It's time to put some new shoes on my Ram 2500. I've decided to give the BFG KO2's a try this time.

My questions is does anyone have any experience with the tire warranty offered by Canadian Tire? Its seems like cheap peace of mind at an extra $50 on the total bill. The problem is I want to support my local shop, they are willing to give me the tires I want at the same price but cant offer that extra warranty.

What would you do? I use my truck the same as most of you fine forum folks. City driving, gravel roads with the camper and plenty of ice fishing. I've never had a problem with my 5 year old duratracs, not even a flat. So as far as warranty claims there could be none. Just trying to protect my tire investment I guess...
Old 10-17-2019, 10:55 AM

I haven't tried to get warranty before but here is an article about some of the issues:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ated-1.5055006
Old 10-17-2019, 11:03 AM

I have used the road hazard from both Kal Tire and Fountain Tire. In each case a tire was damaged beyond repair, and the dealer replaced all four at a pro rated price based on tread wear. The warranty is not an extra cost option at those dealers.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:05 AM

Thanks Andrew, thats a great article. I've looked at the fine print for the BGF warranty and yeah, its a joke.

I think Canadian Tires warranty is offered by Canadian Tire corp. and is beyond what the tire manuf. offer. At least thats my understanding. Hopefully someone can shed some light on it?
Old 10-17-2019, 11:10 AM

I buy my Duratracs at CT because no one can come close to the price when they have the sale and CT money offer on. Most CTs are owned by someone as it is a franchise setup. I like the guy in St Albert so that is where I shop. I have however never taken the warranty. I have had 5 sets of Duratracs over the years and have never had a case where warranty would have been needed.

On the other side, I bought my Nokian's from Kal Tire as they are the only guys that sell them. Their tires automatically come with free rotation and warranty. After less the 30% wear, but 3 years old, they noticed extensive cracking on the INSDE of the sidewalls when they were doing a rotate. They replaced all four on a prorated basis.

To me the life time rotation is worth quite a lot more than the warranty 95% of the time, so if the local shop will do that, I would probably go there.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:29 AM

I have bought the Cdn Tire warranty on every set of tires I've bought there. I have had them replace all 4 tires when just 1 tire could not be repaired. In my opinion the warranty is worth every penny.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:56 AM

This last set of tires I bought were 10 ply Canadian Tire brand (whatever they call their all terrain tire, I think it’s Motomaster Roughrider) I also bought the warranty, first tire purchase from CTC.
On a great sale they were about half the price of the other options like Fountain, Kal, Great West and Ok.

I have two tires replaced under warranty with no questions asked.

I don’t blame the tires as I have had constant issues with shrapnel in tires lately and the Duratracs I also had had the same issues.

I also received about $65 in CTC money.

I did have to pay around $27 each time a tire was replaced.

I will definitely be looking to buy the next set from Canadian Tire as well.

I prefer to support the little guys and I do with most of my other stuff (I have 140 tires or so on this farm)

But the Canadian Tire deal and Warranty has been the best I’ve found.

Also flat fixes are free with the warranty
Old 10-17-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
This last set of tires I bought were 10 ply Canadian Tire brand (whatever they call their all terrain tire, I think it’s Motomaster Roughrider) I also bought the warranty, first tire purchase from CTC.
On a great sale they were about half the price of the other options like Fountain, Kal, Great West and Ok.

I have two tires replaced under warranty with no questions asked.

I don’t blame the tires as I have had constant issues with shrapnel in tires lately and the Duratracs I also had had the same issues.

I also received about $65 in CTC money.

I did have to pay around $27 each time a tire was replaced.

I will definitely be looking to buy the next set from Canadian Tire as well.

I prefer to support the little guys and I do with most of my other stuff (I have 140 tires or so on this farm)

But the Canadian Tire deal and Warranty has been the best I’ve found.

Also flat fixes are free with the warranty
i think cooper make allterrain tires for CT
Old 10-17-2019, 12:09 PM

Thanks Everyone, that's exactly the kind of experience I was looking for.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
Thanks Andrew, thats a great article. I've looked at the fine print for the BGF warranty and yeah, its a joke.

I think Canadian Tires warranty is offered by Canadian Tire corp. and is beyond what the tire manuf. offer. At least thats my understanding. Hopefully someone can shed some light on it?
I ended up with the CT road hazard warranty when I bought General GMAX all seasons for my Mustang from the Calgary Southland location. I pretty much never go for such things and only ended up with it because I overlooked it. I was distracted by the $50 a tire charge they were trying to pile on to program the TPMS sensors on top of the charge to instal them. I didn’t bother doing anything about it for $12 a tire, just chalked it up to a lesson learned.

Sure enough a year later somebody in front of me on Deerfoot kicked up a chuck of metal that hit a rear tire and tore a chunk I out of the rim and rim protector so deep you could see the belts. I went back to CT and they replaced both rear tires so they matched without any fuss at all, it was a totally painless experience. Next time I’ll buy again for sure.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
i think cooper make allterrain tires for CT
I mean not sure who makes them but they are North American made, not sure by who.

I’m not a guy that goes for extended warranty, ever.
In fact I didn’t even know I had the warranty until I had the first tire wrecked and went to buy a replacement.

They told me it was *Free except for the mounting and balancing charges I think it was.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:36 PM

go to costco, best price for those tires (at least when i bought mine a couple years ago they had the best price)

they include, tire repairs, balancing, rotation for free for the life of the tires.

then a pro rated warranty for (i think) 60K or 80K
Old 10-17-2019, 01:41 PM

[Interestng thread, glad elk started it. Good to hear the CT warranty is pretty much hassle free. At only 12 bucks a tire might be worth looking at next time but only is I actually have some problems on this set. So far I have saved 240 bucks by not buying the warranty so that pays for a couple of tires. For those that needed it though, was a pretty good deal.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:04 PM

Default Tire warranty.

In the past I have purchased tires from CT and have used the warranty without issue.

I have also purchased from tire shops with the prorated warranty and have tried to use it. What I found was the price used for the replacement tires was the MSRP and was far higher than you would ever pay for the same tire if you were purchasing it over the counter. In the case I had I could purchase tires on my own cheaper than using the prorated option.

Phil
Old 10-25-2019, 08:57 AM

Was looking at CT sales, Duratracs are on for 25% off. Happened to see this warranty info, this comes free with the Tire purchase so if you are buying the extra warranty I presume it covers full replacement with no pre-rata wear cost. Just so everyone that bought at CT knows there actually is a five year pro-rata warranty, free flat repairs and free rotation with the tires from the get go.

Quote:
WARRANTY
Passenger and light truck tires purchased, installed and balanced at a Canadian Tire Associate Store are covered by a pro-rated Road Hazard Damage and Manufacturing Defects warranty for the life of the useable tread* or five years from the date of purchase, whichever comes first. The original work order/invoice must be presented in order for this warranty to be honoured. Tires purchased, installed and balanced at Canadian Tire also come with new rubber valve stems**, rotation every 10,000 km and free flat repairs. See store staff for complete warranty details.
*Useable tread is the original tread worn down to the level of the tread wear indicators, which is 2/32\" of tread remaining.
**Additional charges may apply for vehicles equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS).
Old 10-25-2019, 10:58 AM

DON"T FORGET? that all tires are dated, usually on the inside, it is raised lettering and tires are good for 5 to 6 years before they need replacing. The tire dealers are aware of this practice as they give warrenty to those tires that are normal milage. a sample would be, I think I am right but somebody jump in, the code would be 19104, which means that the tire was produced in 2019, 104 day, or April. How I know this is I buy my tires which I will have to replace every 5 or 6 years. I will go to a tire place and they will replace and offer you a incentive $1000.00, but the tires are are 2 or 3 years old. And there is nothing that is more piterful then paying a person for 3 or 4 hours for a flat tire.

Last edited by Rastus; 10-25-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
DON"T FORGET? that all tires are dated, usually on the inside, it is raised lettering and tires are good for 5 to 6 years before they need replacing. The tire dealers are aware of this practice as they give warrenty to those tires that are normal milage. a sample would be, I think I am right but somebody jump in, the code would be 19104, which means that the tire was produced in 2019, 104 day.
5 or 6 years if they are in direct sun. Much longer if not in the sun. Code is year and week they were made if I am not mistaken.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:09 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
5 or 6 years if they are in direct sun. Much longer if not in the sun. Code is year and week they were made if I am not mistaken.
The date of production code is the last 3 or 4 numbers in the DOT number. Be careful when looking for it as there is often a DOT number on both sidewalls of a tire but often only one is the complete number with the date code.

If it is 3 numbers, it is a tire pre-2000 so a number like 059 would indicate the 5th week of 1999 or even possibly 1989 or 1979 etc, but after 2000 the got smart and made it a 4 digit code so it is always the week first and year last, so as an example 0118 would indicate the 1st week of 2018. 2719 would be the 27th week of 2019. Etc, etc...

There is no general rule you can apply to tires for how long a tire is serviceable. There are a lot of variables to account for so you must use a bit of common sense. Most normal all season tires are very durable unless they are stored or taken care of poorly. The manufacturers suggest to sell within 3 years of date of manufacture to account for easily 5 to 7 years of use. If a tire is abused you could kill them before then of course, or last even longer if maintained and stored well.

Things such as oils and chemicals can absolutely deteriorate a tire much quicker so laying them on a greasy floor for six months or driving around on oiled surfaces etc is not deal, or storing them by ozone producing things lke electric motors and such is also not good. Really, it is as simple as inspecting the tires periodically looking for signs of deterioration such as crazing and cracking is always smart, and if things start feeling like the compounding has firmed up so wet traction etc starts to drop it is another sign to consider.

Now specialty compounds such as high level performance tires, some severe winter compounds etc are more sensitive to environment, time and temperature, but even then it isn't as written in stone as people seem to think. Like I said, really there isn't a need to be super panicky about date within reason, but you should absolutely be inspecting your stuff periodically rather than just using date as a guideline.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-25-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
The date of production code is the last 3 or 4 numbers in the DOT number. Be careful when looking for it as there is often a DOT number on both sidewalls of a tire but often only one is the complete number with the date code.

If it is 3 numbers, it is a tire pre-2000 so a number like 059 would indicate the 5th week of 1999 or even possibly 1989 or 1979 etc, but after 2000 the got smart and made it a 4 digit code so it is always the week first and year last, so as an example 0118 would indicate the 1st week of 2018. 2719 would be the 27th week of 2019. Etc, etc...

There is no general rule you can apply to tires for how long a tire is serviceable. There are a lot of variables to account for so you must use a bit of common sense. Most normal all season tires are very durable unless they are stored or taken care of poorly. The manufacturers suggest to sell within 3 years of date of manufacture to account for easily 5 to 7 years of use. If a tire is abused you could kill them before then of course, or last even longer if maintained and stored well.

Things such as oils and chemicals can absolutely deteriorate a the much quicker so laying them on a greasy floor for six months or driving around on oiled surfaces etc is not deal, or storing them by ozone producing things lke electric motors and such is also not good. Really, it is as simple as inspecting the tires periodically looking for signs of deterioration such as crazing and cracking is always smart, and if things start feeling like the compounding has firmed up so wet traction etc starts to drop it is another sign to consider.

Now specialty compounds such as high level performance tires, some severe winter compounds etc are more sensitive to environment, time and temperature, but even then it isn't as written in stone as people seem to think. Like I said, really there isn't a need to be super panicky about date within reason, but you should absolutely be inspecting your stuff periodically rather than just using date as a guideline.
Figured you would be along to explain! Now when inspecting tires. Do you need to worry about cracks between the treads?
Old 10-25-2019, 01:53 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Figured you would be along to explain! Now when inspecting tires. Do you need to worry about cracks between the treads?
Cracking is always a sign a tire is deteriorating, but it isn't always instantly catastrophic. The rubber is there to protect the cord structure so if the cords all intact (no tread separation etc) and are not exposed then it is possible the structural integrity is sound at the moment, but obviously it will only grow worse with time and mileage and not better so it is always prudent to consider changing them.

When I see cracking between the lugs I often suspect oils or chemical exposure. I often see this on tires that see oil field service work etc.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-25-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Cracking is always a sign a tire is deteriorating, but it isn't always instantly catastrophic. The rubber is there to protect the cord structure so if the cords all intact (no tread separation etc) and are not exposed then it is possible the structural integrity is sound at the moment, but obviously it will only grow worse with time and mileage and not better so it is always prudent to consider changing them.

When I see cracking between the lugs I often suspect oils or chemical exposure. I often see this on tires that see oil field service work etc.
That or potentially old age? Wife's minivan has them but tires are getting older (7 years). Will use the winters for now and probably see you again in the new year once you slow down with the winter tires!
Old 10-25-2019, 02:16 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
That or potentially old age? Wife's minivan has them but tires are getting older (7 years). Will use the winters for now and probably see you again in the new year once you slow down with the winter tires!
Absolutely age can be the issue. I was referring more to premature cracking...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 10-25-2019, 10:16 PM

It’s also important to remember that tires get harder as they age. So not only are the treads wearing out but the rubber compound will be less grippy with time.

My old Duratracs were at 7/32 and 5 years old. The rubber was noticeably harder to the fingernail test than new Duratracs. My new KO2’s were mounted today and I am pretty excited to try them out. I hope the KO2’s are as good in the snow and ice as the Duratracs were.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:30 PM

based on what I have seen from the KO2's on our fleet vehicles (1 ton diesel's) i would be leery about installing them on my own vehicle.

I used to think they were great, even got them on the GF's half ton, but i dont think i will be buying another set.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:07 AM

I'm a Contractor for an E and I company North of Slave Lake, the Roads are notoriously terrible up there. I have found the K02's to be a better Tire then the Duratracs. I have gotten 100,000KM out of a set of K02's and barely 60,000Km out of Duratracs, this is mostly Gravel Roads that are in Terrible Shape. Id go with K02's all day
Old 10-26-2019, 10:28 AM

Ct warranty is good. I once got 10 tires on warranty as they replaced 2 tires to start with and then did them all the way around twice. It started with a lag bolt and boot which was repaired in New Mexico.

CT said it should never have been fixed and started replacing. I never bought tires for 5 or 6 years for that pu.

I wouldn't buy tires anywhere else. Just replaced the Michelins on a pickup. Had a pile of CT money. It made them pretty cheap.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:58 AM

I've always bought the warranty at CT on tires. Worth every penny. I tore a sidewall on a tire a few years back and the tire was replaced at no cost. As well, the protection plan plus that I had also covers repairs in punctures and tire rotations as well.