Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 02:19 PM

Default What trade?

Hey guys, just looking for suggestions. I had a career that I planned to stay in for my entire life, but due to personal circumstances needed to get out after 6 years. I’ve since been in two other careers, and have taken jobs that need relatively little training to make good money (trucking/railroad). The problem with these jobs is that the lifestyle was/is nonexistent and your never home. I’ve gotten to the point that we have relatively low expenses now. So I’m looking at maybe going into the trades so I can be home most nights, and work Monday-Friday. Just wondering what you guys would suggest, as I want something I can do until I retire. By the time I get 4 years done, I won’t be able to go for retraining, nor do I want to. So I’m wanting to make a good educated decision. I’m also open to other careers if I can do the schooling through distance education.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 10-17-2019, 02:24 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Hey guys, just looking for suggestions. I had a career that I planned to stay in for my entire life, but due to personal circumstances needed to get out after 6 years. I’ve since been in two other careers, and have taken jobs that need relatively little training to make good money (trucking/railroad). The problem with these jobs is that the lifestyle was/is nonexistent and your never home. I’ve gotten to the point that we have relatively low expenses now. So I’m looking at maybe going into the trades so I can be home most nights, and work Monday-Friday. Just wondering what you guys would suggest, as I want something I can do until I retire. By the time I get 4 years done, I won’t be able to go for retraining, nor do I want to. I’m also open to other careers if I can do the schooling through distance education.
I would think being a sparky would be the most secure trade long term with the most potential for opening you own company with the least amount of monetary output setting up. Also I think it is probably the least damaging to the body long term compared to being say a plumber or a mechanic or stuff like that.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-17-2019, 02:28 PM

I think plumbing is the best trade to get, but I'm a plumber, so obviously biased.
I wouldn't start an electrician apprenticeship, both because I'm not gay, and because there are already a lot of electricians out there. I know too many out of work electricians right now.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:31 PM

And, as I typed out my answer, tirebob posted his with exactly the opposite opinion of mine.

I think you might get as many different answers to your question as there are members on this forum.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I think plumbing is the best trade to get, but I'm a plumber, so obviously biased.
I wouldn't start an electrician apprenticeship, both because I'm not gay, and because there are already a lot of electricians out there. I know too many out of work electricians right now.
Plumbing would be a good one, but a commercial plumber. boilers, chillers, cooling towers

or commercial HVAC/R.

i would avoid electrician as well, most now a days are glorified wire pullers and conduit benders.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:42 PM

Dewey what do you like about plumbing? Do you think it’s a career you can do until 65?

Also any welders on here? I’m kind of interested in that as a trade as well
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 10-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Brick laying. All the old guys are retiring and no new blood coming in.

Dodger.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:01 PM
Banned

Welders right now are in high demand. However, most have sacrificed their eye sight to do it.
B welders especially.

I am a plumber as well. Have done very little service, no residential. I do commercial and industrial, also going for my steam ticket. Refrigeration mechanic would also be a good trade if you can get in.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:07 PM

Building inspector or other inspection service. Certification takes a few weeks.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-17-2019, 07:26 PM

If you want to advance and eventually supervise/run, general contracting, industrial projects, a steamfitter, pipefitter ticket is the high percentile choice. Obviously this means a pretty high percentage of time away from home. Definitely depends on your choice between earnings and work life balance. Also depends on how high you want to go. I'm strictly speaking on Alberta oil and gas opportunities. An engineering degree could make it even better for PM and management opportunities. My view only of course.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Dewey what do you like about plumbing? Do you think it’s a career you can do until 65?

Also any welders on here? I’m kind of interested in that as a trade as well
If I liked it they wouldn't pay me to do it...
It's a good paying trade, and you don't need to sink a fortune into equipment to start your own business. And there are so many different things you can do under a plumbing ticket, that if you get bored, you can do something else.

I know lots of old plumbers who worked past 65, but I sure don't want to work that long. I'll be well into a second pair of knees by then...

Plumbing work always seems relatively steady, where welding always seems to be more feast or famine (from my point of view anyway)
Old 10-17-2019, 07:34 PM

I just realized that we're 11 replies in to a career thread, and no one has mentioned power engineering yet.
That has got to be some kind of ao record.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:36 PM

I think a better question is what are you good at raab? The next question would be what interests you?
Old 10-17-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I just realized that we're 11 replies in to a career thread, and no one has mentioned power engineering yet.
That has got to be some kind of ao record.

Word os finally out that it’s pretty much dead...but you are right, no mention of PE is surprising.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:58 PM

I started out as an Automotive mechanic, then worked my way into HE. Jobs pay well, but its tough on the body and you need to spend a bunch on tools to get started. If you're not looking for a big initial investment I'd look at HVAC, welding, or plumbing. From what I hear they can generally be a little easier on the body and don't usually require a fortune in tools to get set up.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:14 PM

Default trade

Hi Dewey,

I R WeldOr

the fellas are right, welding is very cool to do. its an art.. mind you its extremely difficult career.. physically... our eyes go, knees are on par with eyes(not that way you guys, ok well maybe once or twice,...no lol) seriously though knees on some of the fellas are horrible.. the positions we are forced to get in to get the job done are so incredibly uncomfortable and hard on our backs etc.. and usually especially while as an apprentice we get placed into the total BS jobs that the senior fellas won't do anymore because you're there, and they did it as an Apprentice too.
I am an Alberta J'man w/red seal.. if you want to be home everynight, pretty much need to work in a shop(which isn't as bad) except for standing on concrete all day bent over something in awkward positions usually wire welding (MIG/FluxCore etc for productivity) really burning out the eyes(compared too Stick or TIG ahh heck they all burn out the eyes) and fuming self up on shielding gases. if you're lucky you've got decent ventilation.

having been in the trade now since '97.. and Wirth the Boilermakers since '99 working with Cranes as a field member since '03.. there have been many a shift where I envied the fella operating the crane! a lot say "oh how boring", but I say "oh yeah! well its all about self preservation!" and heck what a fun job man. Anyhow, just my two pennies.

If I we're to do it again....... #1:Crane Operator! (when it comes to trades)
#2: HVAC & Refrigeration

Jon
Old 10-17-2019, 08:22 PM

How about a little back ground of experience? Tickets? Knowledge? License for what? You want to retire at a job? Get a job working for a city. Waste and recycling work Tuesday to Friday 9.5 hrs a day. 3 day weekends always. Class 3 lic. required
Old 10-17-2019, 09:15 PM

Electrician is a good job, if you get into motor controls, and automation, or even commissioning and troubleshooting, but it is boring if you end up doing installations , as in bending conduit and running cables. Instrumentation is also a good trade, but with the slowdown in oil, good jobs are harder to find.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:28 PM

Become a politician. If you can convince people to believe your promised lies, you are set. 8 yrs in and you get the golden pension of 6 figures + a year
Old 10-17-2019, 10:40 PM

Any millwrights here that can chime in? I’ve been contemplating trying to get into that field lately.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
How about a little back ground of experience? Tickets? Knowledge? License for what? You want to retire at a job? Get a job working for a city. Waste and recycling work Tuesday to Friday 9.5 hrs a day. 3 day weekends always. Class 3 lic. required
I have my class 1, and a background in healthcare. I’d say I’m average mechanically as I work on my own vehicles (minor repairs, no engine swaps). Also have experience with livestock & horses.

I’ll have a look at the city jobs, to see if they’re hiring. Ideally I’d like to find a job where I’m home most nights, and can advance to making around 35 an hour. My kids are starting to get involved with sports so I’d like to be around to help my wife with them, and coach a bit. That’s not possible with trucking, which I’m doing now.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 PM

Not to pry raab but if you can tell us what your previous career was and what the reason was that you couldn't do it any more, it might give us an idea of skill set or what you are looking to avoid.

Even in a specialized job you may have skills or experience that carry over or are needed for other jobs.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:47 PM

Also, if power engineer is a title you would like.... There is no shortage of threads on that job here.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:50 PM

Get on with the City and you’ll make easily $35/hr or more. Buddy of mine is an unskilled labourer in their roads department. Makes $32/hr base wage. OT is double time. Works 7-5, Monday-Thursday. Hardly does any actual work while at work.

With a class 1 keep a keen eye out for their jobs. They always need guys with class 3 or better to drive sanding trucks and plows. Of course, as with the Citt, getting hired is 99% who you know. I’d bet less than 10 people get hired on each year with the City in their roads/parks/etc without previous contacts.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:11 PM

Firefighter? Almost like a trade because you get cool tools but there's better benefits. And unlike cops you won't have the frustration of a judge setting the fire free again.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:45 PM
Banned

What I find being a rewarding profession, raab, might be the least appealing to you. What you would be good at, I might suck at completely...
Tough one indeed.
BTW: do you buy your 6/49 tickets regularly?
Good luck in your decisions man!
Old 10-18-2019, 08:02 AM

get into the water/wastewater industry.. its an industry that never slows down especially on the municipal side. there are lots of opportunities to transfer all over the country if you want. lots of companies are hiring green guys with a decent salary or wage to get you in the door and lots of opportunity to move up the ladder if you are good.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:07 AM

HD Tech over millwright. More employable and you can still get work as a millwright. Try to get on with a company with a newer fleet of equipment and stay out in front of the technology as it moves fast. Power generation and electric hybrids are the way of the future like it or not. Natural gas engines are also out there but I see them heading the way of propane power. Most techs can make 100k a year or more with a little OT and never leave town. Steer clear of automotive as the pay is low and most make the move to HD for a raise. Steer clear of the dealerships to start as they add whole new complexity’s when dealing with a customer. Better to be fixing the equipment of the company you work for rather than deal with unruly customers. Makes life simple. Tools can be expensive but buying tools is cool and they become an asset. You also save on one of life’s biggest costs vehicle repair as you gain the knowledge.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:21 AM

I think anyone telling you take the quick road and jump into road construction or unskilled labour with what they feel is great pay at $30 hr is steering you wrong. ( I think you already realized this good on ya ) Put in the work now while you have the opportunity. You seem on the ball as you have your living costs low and have recognized the time to strike is now. A few years of Kraft dinner now while acquiring a trade is a solid route to a good life. Trades tickets stay with you and make you more employable. It will provide a stable income for a family you may already have or may be thinking of having with time to spend at home with what really matters. If push comes to shove you would easily displace that no skilled worker from his road construction job if you so desire with a trade ticket to bring to the table. That ticket no matter what you chose provides a better avenue of stability for work in future years to come. Good luck in your journey !!!
Old 10-18-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Firefighter? Almost like a trade because you get cool tools but there's better benefits. And unlike cops you won't have the frustration of a judge setting the fire free again.
And you'll have lots of time to be an Outfitter on the side I know a few of them LOL

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk