Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 AM

Default Mossberg Slide Failure

Hey guys,

I have a Mossberg 500 that is a couple years old. Somehow I managed to break the plastic slide off the two connecting arms that come from the receiver. I bought a kit that came with a slide and stock but it doesn't look like the slide will attach to these arms. It is like I'm missing a piece of hardware or something. I have also spent a fair amount of time searching Canadian sites for slide replacements, but to no avail.

So I guess I'm asking if any of you have any advice or know-how on replacing the slide on a new(ish) Mossberg 500, and where to get the required hardware.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Hope you all had some good holidays.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 PM

Send an email to mossbergs customer service. I had a few questions about the LBA triggers and they got back to me quite fast
Old 01-06-2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg Ahead View Post
Hey guys,

I have a Mossberg 500 that is a couple years old. Somehow I managed to break the plastic slide off the two connecting arms that come from the receiver. I bought a kit that came with a slide and stock but it doesn't look like the slide will attach to these arms. It is like I'm missing a piece of hardware or something. I have also spent a fair amount of time searching Canadian sites for slide replacements, but to no avail.

So I guess I'm asking if any of you have any advice or know-how on replacing the slide on a new(ish) Mossberg 500, and where to get the required hardware.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Hope you all had some good holidays.
The new Mossberg 500s have the forestock that is connected to the "arms" with rivets. Aftermarkets kits will not work unless you also purchase a new slide tube assembly. I purchased on a few months back from Western Gun Parts (who got it from Brownells). It cost me about sixty dollars, if i recall correctly. There are at least two different lengths of slide tube assemblies so you need to be sure you order the correct one. You are welcome to pm me if you need more info.

Smithy
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 AM

Terrific reply Smithy, and a wonderful example of what makes this forum so great. Hunters helping hunters.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 AM

Thanks a lot fellas. I really appreciate your help. I don't know what I would do without this forum!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy View Post
The new Mossberg 500s have the forestock that is connected to the "arms" with rivets. Aftermarkets kits will not work unless you also purchase a new slide tube assembly. I purchased on a few months back from Western Gun Parts (who got it from Brownells). It cost me about sixty dollars, if i recall correctly. There are at least two different lengths of slide tube assemblies so you need to be sure you order the correct one. You are welcome to pm me if you need more info.

Smithy
Smithy , does this kit come with a slide tube nut locking nut ?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 AM

Mossberg... plastic slide....

And you are surprised it broke????? LOL

We're supposed to rib guys with guns different than our own, right?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM

It broke because of how I was handling the firearm. If I was more careful it would have never broke. I put well over 2000 rounds through my 500 with zero problems. I twisted the shell tube and in turn broke off the slide.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88thunderbird View Post
Smithy , does this kit come with a slide tube nut locking nut ?
Yes, the nut was included with the slide tube assembly.

The base model Mossberg 500 started using the one piece forend, without a separate slide tube, a few years back. There is now very little difference between it and the Maverick 88 (which is made in Mexico, not USA)

Although I am not impessed with the cheapening of the product, I will take a Mossberg 500 over a emington 870 any day of the week. Just my opinion.

Smithy
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM

last year i bought a mossberg 500 field model . and now just realized my forearm is that stlyle . and need to buy slide tube assem to put on hogue style forearm.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 AM

Default Mossberg warranty centre

Hey folks,here is the name and info for the warranty centre for Mossberg in Canada..

Grech Outdoors
183 Main ST. South
Mount Forest
Ontario
N0G-2L0

PH. 1-519-509-4867
FAX 1-519-509-4866

You can also get all your parts and pieces there..

Tags
mossberg, repair, slide