Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 12:17 PM

Default Dimensionsal lumber

Are we going through shrinkflation on our dimensional lumber? I recently bought a bunch of 2x4 and 2x6 lumber and I noticed that the are 1/32 to 1/16 short of the expected 1.5x3.5 and 1.5x5.5. I discovered this when I cut a bunch of spacer to go between two 2x4s and then had to trim the spacers because they stood proud.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Are we going through shrinkflation on our dimensional lumber? I recently bought a bunch of 2x4 and 2x6 lumber and I noticed that the are 1/32 to 1/16 short of the expected 1.5x3.5 and 1.5x5.5. I discovered this when I cut a bunch of spacer to go between two 2x4s and then had to trim the spacers because they stood proud.

ARG
I have found this to be very common. On bigger stock such as 2x10 it can vary between 9" and almost 9 ½"
I've been a framer for nearly 20 years and have noticed this throughout my career. 2x6 stud vary from 5⅜" to 5⅝ quite commonly and in the and bundle from the mill.

Heck, some longer 2x10 will be 9" on one end and 9¼ on the other.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:38 PM

My house was built in 1913.
It was built with 2x4s and 2x10s...

Any repair requiring new lumber was a fricken mess.
Glad I have access to a mill.

I was once sent a delivery of lumber for a project, and received three different sizes of 2x4s....

Always bring a tape with you when buying dimensional lumber.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-21-2024, 12:38 PM

Found this to be the case also when trying to mate any lumber I had on hand to new ones I purchased, Time consuming and frustrating. It's anything goes now in the market, the marks of devolving into a 3rd country status.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJHoban View Post
I have found this to be very common. On bigger stock such as 2x10 it can vary between 9" and almost 9 ½"
I've been a framer for nearly 20 years and have noticed this throughout my career. 2x6 stud vary from 5⅜" to 5⅝ quite commonly and in the and bundle from the mill.

Heck, some longer 2x10 will be 9" on one end and 9¼ on the other.
It's called tolerance and more common with larger sizes, lumber shrinks when it dries as well, that's why they call framing rough carpentry.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-21-2024, 01:58 PM

I have a maintenance contract with one of the big mills . The planer sets its heads to .10 thousand undersize on 2x4, 2X6. This is to allow for jointing of the head. Every time the head is jointed the board size increases. If they were to set the heads to exactly to 1.5” X 3.5” , 1.5” X 5.5” they would have to keep shutting down and resetting the clearances.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning74 View Post
I have a maintenance contract with one of the big mills . The planer sets its heads to .10 thousand undersize on 2x4, 2X6. This is to allow for jointing of the head. Every time the head is jointed the board size increases. If they were to set the heads to exactly to 1.5” X 3.5” , 1.5” X 5.5” they would have to keep shutting down and resetting the clearances.
Best lumber I've seen is band sawn, tolerably smooth and exact dimensions in my experience.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-21-2024, 03:03 PM

Small mills and hand selected logs make a big difference. The logs run through a band saw at and cantor at this mill. If you seen what some of these mills have to work with you would shake your head and ask why is that stuff even being logged off.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:19 PM

We have been getting short changed for years!