Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-30-2016, 06:21 PM

Default Land Access/Permission Question

Howdy,

I'm curious about a couple things because I am new and green etc. I think I did as much research as I could, I looked things up on iHunter, on the Recreational Access Mapping Tool, in my mapbook etc.

I'm looking at the area on this Google Map. South of Lousana. Range Road 231. I see the grazing lease land on the south side of Hummock Lake and Goosequill Lake. I don't see any ownership information in the area surrounding the end of Range Road 231.

Does this mean it is private land? Google earth shows nothing there but land. Can I just leave my car there at the end of the road and trek out into the bush and camp? Hunt? Hike? I feel like I am missing something. Hah.

Thanks for your patience AO.

R.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:55 PM

If possible get a county land owner map. It will be much more accurate and if your hunting in the area never hurts in case your buck of a lifetime is on a private piece at least you can ask for permission.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:00 PM

Above all else, if you aren't sure about the ownership of land, stay out, it's an offense to trespass without permission, and the fact that you didn't know that you were trespassing isn't an acceptable excuse.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:05 PM

It's private property. County landowner maps are the bible

Or download I hunter app and then download county map straight to app that's a huge help too
Old 06-30-2016, 09:19 PM

I can see that now, I didn't realize I wasn't looking at the right land owner map. Doh.

What is the access to Ducks Unlimited Land like? Is that a thing? What about the tiny pockets that are simply labelled 'crown'.

Again, sorry for being green.

R
Old 06-30-2016, 11:04 PM

Don't be too specific and post ur hunting spots.
Hope u find the info u need.
Happy hunting.

TBark
Old 07-01-2016, 05:41 PM

Default Crown land

There is Crown Land which is public land accessible to hunt/hike/fish etc. Then there is Lease Crown Land. Again the county maps are the key. Your lease land mapping tool also should tell you what is lease land. With lease land the lease holder can deny access for reasons such as cattle grazing, and fire bans mainly. Go to your mapping tool click on the identity icon at the top then click the parcel of land your wondering about. Lease land will be light green and then yellow after clicking on it with the identity icon. Then look on the left side top. There it will list the by laws and phone number of the lease holder. Your required to contact them before accessing the property. There's nothing currently that forces them to be cooperative but the understanding is that they cooperate with the public since it is public land.