Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
One thing I want to try more is underspin jigs and chatter baits, my theory is that some of the misses are the fish hitting the blade so these two bring the blade and the hook closer together.

I have a hard time working slowly after the water has warmed to over 65f speed has almost always produced better for me.
I am not there so can’t really judge what your short strike issue is. Under spins work. Chatter bait I want to try but have not yet

Order some of these and the normal weighted beast hooks from owner for your swimbaits

Thank me later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Smoky buck; 02-15-2024 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
If you don't mind sharing, what are some of your favorite baits and rigs for ice fishing pike and walleye around Calgary.

For me I have jigged with Rapalas, jig head and a minnow, the odd Len Thompson, and a variety of mismanaged/testing of a number of combinations....etc

Thanks
I don’t like ice fishing much and mostly just toss a hearing or large smelt down the hole. It’s just killing time for me till open water comes and I take things more seriously

Open water I touched on in PM
Old 02-15-2024, 11:10 AM

If you are getting misses on bucktails buy or make them like this one with two hooks

Old 02-15-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Spinner bait is just another tool that has its time and place. If I really want weedless I go with soft plastics rigged weedless

Too each their own on the LT spoon and I realize they work but like I mentioned earlier I don’t even carry spoons of any sort for pike anymore. I own tons of them in multiple brands, sizes, and every colour you can think of too. For lake trout, trout/char in general, and salmon I use spoons but not for pike. I have even banged out my own spoons in the past

These days my pike box consists of mostly different lipless jerkbaits/gliders, soft plastics, and bucktail/spinnerbaits. 0 spoons 0 crankbaits and outside of some small soft plastics that is what most out there use.

Everyone develops their own fishing style and if it works it works. The funny thing is lure choice is often influenced by the region more than anything. My pike box looks very different than most albertans pike tackle and I often get funny looks over the lures tied on my line but I am catching fish
All true, by the late 90's I almost never used spoons for pike, and have now come back around. Much like how I used to carry a Swiss Army Knife cause they were usefull, cheap, and they worked. Went to something more sexy and expensive just cause I could, and eventually found my way back.

As for "Normal", I'm often throwing striper plugs and saltwater jigging lures using light surf fishing tackle... in the big wide world of pike fishing I would say that my own gear/ methods are more offbeat and experimental than your own. I've never been shy about experimentation, I just think that the localy favored casting spoons are too usefull and versitile of a tool to ignore.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
If you don't mind sharing, what are some of your favorite baits and rigs for ice fishing pike and walleye around Calgary.

For me I have jigged with Rapalas, jig head and a minnow, the odd Len Thompson, and a variety of mismanaged/testing of a number of combinations....etc

Thanks

For walleye I mostly use a 1/8th oz jighead, with half of a salted shiner on it. The half shiner hangs horizontally better, and makes it harder for them to strip the bait without getting hooked. I also use 1/4 oz spoons baited with a half shiner.

For Pike my favored presentation is salted sardines. I also use 1/2 oz spoons baited with a half shiner, you can go bigger, for some reason I've just gravitated to using relatively small spoons through the ice. Rattlin' raps are good too except that you cant add bait without killing the action, so their effectiveness varys from day to day.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
All true, by the late 90's I almost never used spoons for pike, and have now come back around. Much like how I used to carry a Swiss Army Knife cause they were usefull, cheap, and they worked. Went to something more sexy and expensive just cause I could, and eventually found my way back.

As for "Normal", I'm often throwing striper plugs and saltwater jigging lures using light surf fishing tackle... in the big wide world of pike fishing I would say that my own gear/ methods are more offbeat and experimental than your own. I've never been shy about experimentation, I just think that the localy favored casting spoons are too usefull and versitile of a tool to ignore.
We will never agree on the value of a spoon for pike. I know they work and gave them their time but still a low on the list lure for me.

They stay in my trout/char gear

As for experimenting with lures well I am only limited by my imagination
Old 02-15-2024, 02:58 PM

It's mostly marketed as a Bass bait, but I've recently discovered the Rapala DT series to be a hit with pike. These baits cast a mile, dive quick and deep, and call fish in with it's internal rattle. The DT series comes in a variety of dive depths so you can really dial things in and find a model for pretty much any depth, I use them from ice off to late fall. It's hard to beat a Shad rap or Scatter rap for trolling but the DT series is now my "go to" crank for pike. Chucking an X-rap in cold water is pretty fun as well.
Old 02-15-2024, 04:25 PM

Quote:
One thing I want to try more is underspin jigs and chatter baits, my theory is that some of the misses are the fish hitting the blade so these two bring the blade and the hook closer together.

I have a hard time working slowly after the water has warmed to over 65f speed has almost always produced better for me.
I dont know that they hit the blade too often, but I do think that when they strike at the body of a spinnerbait, they will sometimes connect with the spinner arm and knock the lure in weird directions.

Check out tailspins, for awhile I was tying bucktails on a large bullet head jig, with a spinner blade trailing behind the bucktail. You can make a simple approximation using a saltwater hootchie skirt, and single strand wire and heat shrink tube to affix the trailing spinner blade to the jighead.

They worked about the same as spinner baits, cast and hook up a bit better, but can not be buzzed. The latter is a big part of why I use spinnerbaits, so I got away from making and using the tailspins.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Not dissagreeing with anything you say, I've been using spinnerbaits for pike since the early 90's with great success. But... a Len Thompson, hook swapped to a single, is very nearly as good in weeds as a spinner bait. It catches about as consistently, casts further, is far more durable, and has a better hookup percentage. Yes you could add a stinger to the spinnerbait, but at that point the LT is actually beating it in the weeds.

There are definitely situations where a spinnerbait will shine but I use spinner baits less than I used to, generally opting for a spoon or inline spinner with a single hook instead... that said, I'd never go pike fishing without bringing a couple.

Fishing from a canoe or kayak especially, I always troll a spinnerbait when padling from spot to spot. They work at any speed, wont twist your line, and generally dont get hung up. The ultimate "toss it out and forget about it" trolling lure. Particularly in dirty water situations, for whatever reason, I pick up a high percentage of my fish this way.
What single hook do you use when swapping out trebles on the LT? Have considered doing this as well. Actually cut one of the hooks off for whitefish fishing and that has worked well. Wouldn’t mind swapping them out to a single though.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I have a box full of Rapala Peto, Otus, and Haku lures that get used quite a bit for big spring pike, but they aren’t cheap to stock up on. They make a small and larger version of the Peto and the small one is pretty good for most size of pike.

I would second getting some paddletail softbaits and add either a stinger harness or a 1/2-3/4 oz heavy duty swimbaits jighead. Casts a mile, is relatively weedless with the hook up, cheap, and effective. Also easier to pop out a single than double trebles.

Here’s a pike tooth stuck in a Rapala Otus after a missed strike.

SS

This!!

Rapala Rattlin’ Rapala in the lime green on top, lemon middle and orange bottom has always been my go to for years. Buy all the sizes. Still is if nothing else works. It works for casting, trolling wet water and jigging the hard water. I amount of bonus walleye caught on it makes it a legacy hook in my tackle box.

But as of late I agree with Sam. I have been using jig heads with whatever tailed jig you want, and a stinger. This combo has been hell for the soft bite fish lately. Jig head hook through the head. Stinger (I use a treble) through the tail of the minnow…… takes care of these mooching fish during the soft bite.

I watched 30-40 fish tapping both kinds of hooks the last few weeks. Rapala they “mooch” the body and spit it out. Soft jig with a stinger they do the same thing, but it’s all hooks.

Come here pan lizard!

Again, I make my own stingers (mooch rigs) with fluorocarbon leaders and trebles. The ones you buy are not great.

Oh right!! Rapala that is lime, lemon, orange!!!

Happy fishing

Old 02-16-2024, 06:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
What single hook do you use when swapping out trebles on the LT? Have considered doing this as well. Actually cut one of the hooks off for whitefish fishing and that has worked well. Wouldn’t mind swapping them out to a single though.
Some lures come with two hooks, a treble and single eagle claw.

https://www.lenthompson.com/fishing-lure-sizes.html

No.4’s in dimple series or platinum series.

Platinum series colours fire tiger or rainbow trout.

Dimple series sunset or candy cane.

Staples of the north for big momma pike....

Sooooo many choices.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-16-2024, 07:08 AM

My Super shad raps, the one is missing a weight that I put in. I can't even guess how many pike those two have caught for me. Very effective.

IMG_1758-1 by Piker Golf, on Flickr

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-16-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I use Gamakatsu siwash hooks.

I swap out almost all my treble hooks because I'm primarily a C&R fisherman.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:19 AM

Quote:
So after fairly extensive testing... the 3/4 oz LT and a 3/0 Mustad Siwash work great together. That hook also works great with the 3/4 oz Williams Wabbler spoon, but with the Williams you have to add a a 3" Mr Twister to the hook or it will spin. Adding the Twister is a touchy buisness, switching brands, or even colors the plastic can be stiffer and can change the action of the spoon quite a bit. A silver 3/4 Oz Williams, with a 3/0 Siwash, tipped with a White 3" Mr Twister is a deadly recipe for pike though. One of my top lures around weeds and in shallow water.

Going up to the 1 oz LT I usually go 4/0 or 5/0, but have used 3/0 when I couldnt find them.

On the 1/2 oz size 1/0 or 2/0 will work... and with the 5/8 size I have never found any single hook or single/ trailer combo that does not alter the action for the worse.

In all cases the Siwash hooks, with their shorter shank seem to hook up a bit better than models with longer shanks. The difference being greater with the larger spoons.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:49 AM

Old school jointed rapalas, have been using the same one for a good amount of years. Very durable have only needed to change the trebles. haven't had any problems with the bill breaking off compared to some of the new rapalas.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
If you are getting misses on bucktails buy or make them like this one with two hooks

I think we are talking two different baits, when I say spinner bait I am thinking of the safety pin type, I call the one in the picture an in-line spinner I just started throwing last summer and need more. it's the previous that drove me nuts, I get plenty of hits but so few stay pinned.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 02-27-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I think we are talking two different baits, when I say spinner bait I am thinking of the safety pin type, I call the one in the picture an in-line spinner I just started throwing last summer and need more. it's the previous that drove me nuts, I get plenty of hits but so few stay pinned.

Here is the stinger I usually run on spinner baits.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:00 AM

I would look at those double bladed muskie spinners. Don't fish heavy weed cover their look for lily pads next to sandy bottoms. That is money for that area.

YouTube https://youtube.com/channel/UCCODzzgYp2gHz16OTpj5wYQ
Old 03-21-2024, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Here is the stinger I usually run on spinner baits.

Normally when I’m using gang hooks most people put a swivel between them. It will help the rear hook track straight, help it keel and it’ll give the fish less leverage with the two hooks to get himself unhooked.

Now I only use them on bottom rigs because there are better options for troll rigs.

On your rig, do the hooks ride point up or down and does the front hook have a swivel so it can keel or are they fixed?

OP.

My most successful Rapala in Alberta was this one.

It caught everything and it was THE gun colour but more importantly then the lure was the depth your running it at and where the fish are. That one, at my troll speed and with the amount of line I let out would run 10.5-11’ down. I would troll it in 12-14’ of water on the bottom of a drop off. During the summer there would be weeds about 1’ tall. The fish would sit in the weeds. The lure would skirt just across the top within a foot or two of the bottom. It was deadly.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Normally when I’m using gang hooks most people put a swivel between them. It will help the rear hook track straight, help it keel and it’ll give the fish less leverage with the two hooks to get himself unhooked.

Now I only use them on bottom rigs because there are better options for troll rigs.

On your rig, do the hooks ride point up or down and does the front hook have a swivel so it can keel or are they fixed?

OP.

My most successful Rapala in Alberta was this one.

It caught everything and it was THE gun colour but more importantly then the lure was the depth your running it at and where the fish are. That one, at my troll speed and with the amount of line I let out would run 10.5-11’ down. I would troll it in 12-14’ of water on the bottom of a drop off. During the summer there would be weeds about 1’ tall. The fish would sit in the weeds. The lure would skirt just across the top within a foot or two of the bottom. It was deadly.
The hook is intentionally rigged to be fix riding point up because it is a big part of what makes a spinner bait mostly weedless. If fishing areas weeds are no issue a basic stinger with a short leader/swivel is a good option. The other option is running a weedless swimbait hook/with a larger grub on a swivel similar to your pic. But if I am not dealing with weeds I normally don’t use a spinner bait at all

The style of stinger I posted has a function and is extremely common even with the guy fishing Murray cod in your part of the world. It’s used by this crowd because is done right you can ride the spinner bait over logs with out hanging up

Sometimes there is trade offs made to adapt to different conditions
Old 03-21-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
The hook is intentionally rigged to be fix riding point up because it is a big part of what makes a spinner bait mostly weedless. If fishing areas weeds are no issue a basic stinger with a short leader/swivel is a good option. The other option is running a weedless swimbait hook/with a larger grub on a swivel similar to your pic. But if I am not dealing with weeds I normally don’t use a spinner bait at all

The style of stinger I posted has a function and is extremely common even with the guy fishing Murray cod in your part of the world. It’s used by this crowd because is done right you can ride the spinner bait over logs with out hanging up

Sometimes there is trade offs made to adapt to different conditions
Yeah, hook up is key around weeds, unless its on a lure runs nose down.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, hook up is key around weeds, unless its on a lure runs nose down.
Yup but even a nose down lure won’t come close to a spinner bait with hooks riding hooks up. Sparse cabbage I am often reaching for a dive & rise jerk bait and ripping. You get away with a lot because of the nose down and ability to walk it dipping in and out of the cabbage but doesn’t compete with the spinner bait

But really nothing beats a swimbait with a hook slot rigged on a weighted swimbait hook(like the one I posted but without the blade). Drag them over weeds/Lilly pads without getting hung or drop them right into heavy cabbage no issues. Hook point is hidden till a fish bites down on the soft plastic

Nothing is un fish able with the right tools
Old 03-21-2024, 08:36 AM

Old 03-21-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Yup but even a nose down lure won’t come close to a spinner bait with hooks riding hooks up. Sparse cabbage I am often reaching for a dive & rise jerk bait and ripping. You get away with a lot because of the nose down and ability to walk it dipping in and out of the cabbage but doesn’t compete with the spinner bait

But really nothing beats a swimbait with a hook slot rigged on a weighted swimbait hook(like the one I posted but without the blade). Drag them over weeds/Lilly pads without getting hung or drop them right into heavy cabbage no issues. Hook point is hidden till a fish bites down on the soft plastic

Nothing is un fish able with the right tools
Yeah, I dont fish plugs around weeds a whole lot, but something like a Canadian Wiggler with just a downfacing single in the back can work OK.

Rigged properly, a spoon can fish just about anything
Old 03-21-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I dont fish plugs around weeds a whole lot, but something like a Canadian Wiggler with just a downfacing single in the back can work OK.

Rigged properly, a spoon can fish just about anything
Swap your hook for a weedless worm hook add your grub and yup a spoon can go places

Still won’t find me tossing a spoon for pike lol
Old 03-21-2024, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Swap your hook for a weedless worm hook add your grub and yup a spoon can go places

Still won’t find me tossing a spoon for pike lol
I've caught fish rip jigging them 40' down, planing them across the surface, and everything in between. If you really twich/ jerk the living bejezus out of a spoon it will almost suspend, which in current can be used to accomplish drifts that I simply cant do with other lures.

Not always the hottest lure in the box, but you can pretty much always put one in the strike zone, on most days thats my main concern.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:11 PM

Plugs are nice for trolling ,but i find them to be to light for casting . So 99% of the time its just casting with spoons when i go after pike .
I find if no colours work ,sliver on both sides really turns them on .
Old 03-21-2024, 02:16 PM

Default Rapala for pike

Quote:
The hook is intentionally rigged to be fix riding point up because it is a big part of what makes a spinner bait mostly weedless. Sometimes there is trade offs made to adapt to different conditions

Even if it wasn’t intentional, hooks should always ride point up. Then it’s pointed at the target in a fishes mouth but it’s also the way a hook will naturally ride based on its shape and weight distribution.

Even though your spinner bait isn’t travelling fast and is big enough to control the trailing hookset it only makes sense to run the two in harmony with each other. The fact that it slides over logs and avoids hooking most of the cabbage is another tertiary advantage.

Have you considered putting a bend on the trailing hook just behind the eye like we do here if we aren’t running a swivel between the two?

Old 03-21-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Even if it wasn’t intentional, hooks should always ride point up. Then it’s pointed at the target in a fishes mouth but it’s also the way a hook will naturally ride based on its shape and weight distribution.

Even though your spinner bait isn’t travelling fast and is big enough to control the trailing hookset it only makes sense to run the two in harmony with each other. The fact that it slides over logs and avoids hooking most of the cabbage is another tertiary advantage.

Have you considered putting a bend on the trailing hook just behind the eye like we do here if we aren’t running a swivel between the two?

No I haven’t tried a different style of hook. It’s one of those things I was taught a long time ago and it works so I just have not changed it no other reason

Next time I pic up trailer hooks I will try ones like you posted just to see if I notice a difference.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Plugs are nice for trolling ,but i find them to be to light for casting . So 99% of the time its just casting with spoons when i go after pike .
I find if no colours work ,sliver on both sides really turns them on .
Umm you clearly are not tossing the hard baits I do. Light would be 1 oz and my heaviest being around 7 oz lol

My average lure for pike is 2 1/2 - 5oz so no issues with lack of weight casting. More so it’s a matter of needing appropriate rod to cast/work these lures