Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2024, 07:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Reload…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-19-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
There are only 2 groups on that list that can attribute a large portion of the deaths to a deliberate act of violence.

Logging is a dangerous job, but I would guess that most trees are not intentionally trying to kill the Logger.
Did you miss the part, or just choose to ignore it, that the Homicide rate per 100,000 in the general U.S. population living in cities is as high as it is for the Police. So a civilian has as large a chance of being killed from intentional violence as a Cop and in places like Baltimore, Chicago etc, a MUCH higher incidence.

I have great respect for the Police and the job they do. I have 3 Cops in my immediate family. That said, the Police are far from perfect and their unwillingness to hold members accountable is ruining their credibility with the general public. The Blue Wall is far from a myth, and it is not doing a service to the Cops or the public. The fact any person defends idiots like this, or tries to rationalise how this behaviour might be sensible if "you just walked a mile in their shoes" is just more proof of that.

The American Police have developed a siege mentality and have come to see the public they serve as the enemy. This is starting to happen in Canada. You can buy them as many Tims or Burgers as you want to show your support but that isn't going to change how they approach you, even for a traffic stop.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Did you miss the part, or just choose to ignore it, that the Homicide rate per 100,000 in the general U.S. population living in cities is as high as it is for the Police. So a civilian has as large a chance of being killed from intentional violence as a Cop and in places like Baltimore, Chicago etc, a MUCH higher incidence.

I have great respect for the Police and the job they do. I have 3 Cops in my immediate family. That said, the Police are far from perfect and their unwillingness to hold members accountable is ruining their credibility with the general public. The Blue Wall is far from a myth, and it is not doing a service to the Cops or the public. The fact any person defends idiots like this, or tries to rationalise how this behaviour might be sensible if "you just walked a mile in their shoes" is just more proof of that.

The American Police have developed a siege mentality and have come to see the public they serve as the enemy. This is starting to happen in Canada. You can buy them as many Tims or Burgers as you want to show your support but that isn't going to change how they approach you, even for a traffic stop.
Very well said / worded. Agree 100 %
Old 02-19-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
There are only 2 groups on that list that can attribute a large portion of the deaths to a deliberate act of violence.

Logging is a dangerous job, but I would guess that most trees are not intentionally trying to kill the Logger.
If you are dead, does it really matter to you if your death was intentional? Dead is dead, your family will have to go on without you either way.

The fact is, that our government keeps attacking legal firearms owners, while they make both criminals and police out to be victims. And the RCMP are assisting Trudeau and his liberals in that attack on legal firearms owners, instead of investigating liberal corruption.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Well said! Those bullets fired by police in this incident, or in incidents like the Nova Scotia firehall incident don't care who they strike, so a better effort needs to be made to reduce incidents like this, and to hold those responsible, accountable for their actions.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:18 AM

Some of you on here will remember Alberta's Andy Russell . He used to say that his best films ,photographs were always when he was unarmed. When we are armed it changes our body language.
Ive personally spent a lot of time armed wanting to be able to shoot wolves but yet the one time I left the house unarmed. I had my three year old in a little wooden wagon. When we were about mile from house I realized the wolf was watching us so I started pulling the little wagon heading for home.
Then I realized the wolf was actually stalking us and was definitely in rifle range and kept getting closer.
Wolf wasn't really trying to hide. More and more closer and confident to us. Finally we got close enough to front door that I could grab my son and run into house and grab rifle which was handy. Of course wolf gone and never ever had another opportunity because always armed after that.
Same with Ravens. Ravens will eat eyes out of newborn calves. Local Ravens know me from other people and seem to know when I'm armed.
My point is more armed policemen are with body armor and machine guns and training is part of this as well i suspect it changes their mindset . Police need to be deescalating not escalating situations. Common sense is huge part of job. If public fears and distrusts you,then doing police work properly is impossible. You can't be a good policeman of you are worried about getting hurt all the time.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you are dead, does it really matter to you if your death was intentional? Dead is dead, your family will have to go on without you either way.

The fact is, that our government keeps attacking legal firearms owners, while they make both criminals and police out to be victims. And the RCMP are assisting Trudeau and his liberals in that attack on legal firearms owners, instead of investigating liberal corruption.
So you would feel the same if your wife was killed in car accident vs being murdered?

And how does this conversation relate to Trudeau's attack on legal firearms owners, or does that just blankly apply to everything?

I hear the Liberals are not investing in any more new road construction. Well that must be a direct attack on legal firearms owner as we will no longer able to drive to our new gun range... sound about right?
Old 02-19-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Some of you on here will remember Alberta's Andy Russell . He used to say that his best films ,photographs were always when he was unarmed. When we are armed it changes our body language.
Ive personally spent a lot of time armed wanting to be able to shoot wolves but yet the one time I left the house unarmed. I had my three year old in a little wooden wagon. When we were about mile from house I realized the wolf was watching us so I started pulling the little wagon heading for home.
Then I realized the wolf was actually stalking us and was definitely in rifle range and kept getting closer.
Wolf wasn't really trying to hide. More and more closer and confident to us. Finally we got close enough to front door that I could grab my son and run into house and grab rifle which was handy. Of course wolf gone and never ever had another opportunity because always armed after that.
Same with Ravens. Ravens will eat eyes out of newborn calves. Local Ravens know me from other people and seem to know when I'm armed.
My point is more armed policemen are with body armor and machine guns and training is part of this as well i suspect it changes their mindset . Police need to be deescalating not escalating situations. Common sense is huge part of job. If public fears and distrusts you,then doing police work properly is impossible. You can't be a good policeman of you are worried about getting hurt all the time.
The same can be said for many occupations, when I started my electrical apprenticeship, I was told by every journeyman to respect electricity, and not fear it. And it was true, the people that were afraid of electricity, or that had no respect for it, were usually the ones that made serious mistakes. And of course, the same is true for the use of firearms, watching people at the range, the ones that are afraid of firearms, are dangerous , just like those people that have no respect for them.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
So you would feel the same if your wife was killed in car accident vs being murdered?

And how does this conversation relate to Trudeau's attack on legal firearms owners, or does that just blankly apply to everything?

I hear the Liberals are not investing in any more new road construction. Well that must be a direct attack on legal firearms owner as we will no longer able to drive to our new gun range... sound about right?
Since you’re going down this path

Would you feel the same if your wife was murdered, killed by an officer discharging a firearm in an unjustifiable manner, or let’s though in the shot because an officer miss identified a random object as a firearm?
Old 02-19-2024, 08:29 AM

Pretty crazy some are allowed to enforce the law, competency is something that should be taken seriously...

I respect those men and women who choose this line of work, regardless of the "ones" who are not competent...

If we want to talk competence, take a look at Canada's medical malpractice death rates, very slim margin behind heart disease and cancer. Funny, people still run to the butchers when we don't feel well.. Hint of sarcasm here

Moral of the story is there is no perfect profession..
Old 02-19-2024, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Dead is dead, I would be just as upset if a drunk driver, or a person that ran a stop sign, or if an elderly person with poor vision and reactions caused the death.

Quote:

Would you feel the same if your wife was murdered, killed by an officer discharging a firearm in an unjustifiable manner, or let’s though in the shot because an officer miss identified a random object as a firearm?
Exactly!

As for Trudeau's attack on firearms owners being relevant, the excuse for the attacks is to supposedly protect the public from the irresponsible use of firearms, and this incident is an obvious example of exposing the public to life threatening danger, through the irresponsible use of firearms. If you can't see the connection, you just aren't trying.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

Same as what? Being killed in traffic accident? Of course not.

But I might at some point forgive person that made a mistake, as opposed to forgiving a person that intentionally killed my wife.

My point was that the manner of death definitely causes a different reaction for the loves ones left behind.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Dead is dead, I would be just as upset if a drunk driver, or a person that ran a stop sign, or if an elderly person with poor vision and reactions caused the death.

Exactly!

As for Trudeau's attack on firearms owners being relevant, the excuse for the attacks is to supposedly protect the public from the irresponsible use of firearms, and this incident is an obvious example of exposing the public to life threatening danger, through the irresponsible use of firearms. If you can't see the connection, you just aren't trying.
OK.....
Old 02-19-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Same as what? Being killed in traffic accident? Of course not.

But I might at some point forgive person that made a mistake, as opposed to forgiving a person that intentionally killed my wife.

My point was that the manner of death definitely causes a different reaction for the loves ones left behind.
So about the same as a non target individual getting killed in a drive by shooting then?

Regardless how an officer dies in the field it’s going to be horrible for their loved ones. Same goes for any other citizen who dies on the job. But it doesn’t excuse anyone for the actions in the original post. It doesn’t excuse putting public safety at risk
Old 02-19-2024, 09:39 AM

I can see how hearing that sound would make the officer react. But where was the target? There were no busted windows on the vehicle that the perp shot through. Did he think he opened the door, fired one round, then shut the door? It could have been a shooting from behind a tree 20 feet away. He just picked the patrol car and unloaded. The car thief is lucky he doesn't look like Swiss cheese.

I get that they put their lives in danger every day. I greatly respect that. They are in a potentially dangerous situation with every traffic stop etc... but they also need to keep cool.

This got out of hand way too fast. The officer actually believed that he had been shot.

I wonder if he's ever done a desk pop?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2024, 10:05 AM

There are a lot of officers who are far to spooked to do that job and would be better suited to another vocation.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:07 AM

Cop should get jail time for reckless endangerment with a firearm , attempted murder , staging a fraudulent injury and emergency which would make him a convicted felon and prohibited from owning firearms.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Hahahahahaha. That may be the shortest, most concise, and funniest post of 2024 so far. You set a high bar.

😂😂😂🤣
Old 02-19-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
So about the same as a non target individual getting killed in a drive by shooting then?

Regardless how an officer dies in the field it’s going to be horrible for their loved ones. Same goes for any other citizen who dies on the job. But it doesn’t excuse anyone for the actions in the original post. It doesn’t excuse putting public safety at risk
I think you need to go back to my original post and see what I was responding to, and that it was only in regards to the list of most dangerous jobs.

Just a recap...

The tone of the post, is why is there so much attention given when a police officer is killed vs a logger or farmer.

I suggested it is because a high number of police officer deaths are murders as opposed to the majority of other professions being work place accidents.

And to anyone that says it doesn't matter to the family and majority of the general public how a person dies (murder vs accident), we will have to respectfully disagree.

I never commented on the actions of the police officer, and normally don't based on an internet video.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
There are a lot of officers who are far to spooked to do that job and would be better suited to another vocation.
This is Florida, where a permit is not required to carry a concealed firearm and crime is rampant, so you can guess that most cars have a gun in it somewhere. Fear sells guns, and fearful people buy them, when confronted these people can act in an irrational way, even if they had no intention of doing so, accidents happen. Don't envy anyone that has to deal with that situation every work day.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
This is Florida, where a permit is not required to carry a concealed firearm and crime is rampant, so you can guess that most cars have a gun in it somewhere. Fear sells guns, and fearful people buy them, when confronted these people can act in an irrational way, even if they had no intention of doing so, accidents happen. Don't envy anyone that has to deal with that situation every work day.
In this case the officer shot his own vehicle, the only occupant was a suspect that he had previously searched, and placed in the vehicle. And given that the person was a suspect, and was left in the vehicle alone, he was probably also handcuffed.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:04 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
In this case the officer shot his own vehicle, the only occupant was a suspect that he had previously searched, and placed in the vehicle. And given that the person was a suspect, and was left in the vehicle alone, he was probably also handcuffed.

For a fella that likes facts you sure are speculating

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-19-2024, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Only speculation was about handcuffs.
Which he stated.
The rest is probably protocol.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:31 PM

I'm a plumber.
Every unexpected sound I hear sounds exactly like leaking water.
I can see where a cop might think a loud sound is a gunshot.

I've only shot my way out of a plumbing problem twice, though...
Old 02-19-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:

The video shows this guy being handcuffed.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-19-2024, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Read and watch the longer video.

Quote:
It shows a deputy firing his weapon multiple times at a suspect inside a patrol vehicle after he mistakenly thought he'd been shot.

This bodycam footage shows Deputy Jesse Hernandez walking to his patrol car. An acorn is seen falling on the roof -- that's when Hernandez fell and yelled.

The sheriff says deputies were responding to a disturbance call in Fort Walton Beach last November after a call from Marquis Jackson's girlfriend.

She claimed Jackson refused to return her car and sent threatening text messages.

The girlfriend also told officers Jackson had weapons.

Bodycam video shows Jackson being searched and then detained.

It goes on to show Hernandez heading to his car to search Jackson again
The person the vehicle was a suspect that had already been searched and detained in the police vehicle.

Quote:
The video shows this guy being handcuffed.
So the guy had been searched and handcuffed. So how and where was he supposed to get the use of a firearm, and fire it at the police, while he was searched and cuffed in the vehicle?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-19-2024 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:59 PM

Quote:

No speculation required. This was covered in the Administrative Investigation report that was linked from a post in another thread.

https://www.sheriff-okaloosa.org/wp-...rt-Jackson.pdf

Quote:
Around 0909 hours, the suspect, Mr. Jackson walked up to the scene. Deputy Reyna and Deputy Hernandez made contact with the suspect, keeping him roughly fifty feet away from the victim. Within a minute of the suspect’s arrival, Sergeant Roberts instructed Deputy Reyna and Deputy Hernandez to pat down the suspect. The suspect was verbally noncooperative, but he did not offer any physical resistance. Deputy Hernandez did a cursory pat down of Mr. Jackson. The suspect said he left the car at the victim’s mother’s house. The victim called her mother and confirmed her (victim) vehicle was not at her mother’s home. Mr. Jackson had not been truthful about the location of the victim’s vehicle.

At 0912 hours Sergeant Roberts told Deputy Reyna and Deputy Hernandez to detain Mr. Jackson. They handcuffed him and walked him to Deputy Hernandez’s patrol vehicle. Outside the view of Sergeant Roberts, Deputy Reyna completed a more thorough search of Mr. Jackson while Deputy Hernandez was present. Mr. Jackson was physically compliant.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-19-2024, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
The key word in your post is that you “suspect”. This means you don’t really have a clue but wanna jump on the bashing bandwagon and sound important when you surely know nothing about what law enforcement is actually like. Guess you’d prefer if law enforcement went back to when they didn’t have body armor, long guns and carried 38specials. Then you’d criticize them for not being able to properly respond and effectively deal with situations like the North Hollywood Shootout, 1986 FBI Miami shootout or perhaps a little closer to home the Mayerthorpe shooting in 2005. Unless of course you are openly advocating and desire to live in a Trudeau paradise with ZERO privately owned forearms!

Let me ask you this. Have you ever walked up to a vehicle to address a crime not knowing who is inside or what is inside. Are they a priest carpenter banker doped up druggie or murderer on the run? Do they have a hammer knife shotgun aimed at you? You ever go to work every day not knowing if some dirt bag is gunna walk up to you at a gas stationand shoot you dead because of your job? You ever respond to someone’s cry for help only be ambushed and killed or turned into a vegetable?I care to say your job does not have these risk yet can easily find real world stories where that has happened to men and women in blue. I can give you a personal story of a simple traffic stop for speed that would result in a verbal warning to slow down only to find out they were wanted for a double homicide. I can tell you of 2 coworkers 1 ambushed and shot in the head and the other run over by a truck. What about David Delaittre Montana highway patrol who made a traffic stop the year I became a deputy and was shot and killed by the driver. How about you tell his dad who heard the gunshot that killed his son that David was too aggressive.

You say cops are cranked up and think everyone is gunna kill them. Until you have a job where you hold members of the public accountable for their actions without knowing who they are or what they’re capable of you can with all due respect shove off! We don’t have the luxury living in a world of what’s the chance something will happen. We live in the world of what COULD happen! like every profession there’s good and bad people. Ones who should be there and those who should not such as this thread. Your ignorance by painting the entire career field with your misguided brush shows how little you know. I hope you never truly need law enforcement help but if you do I hope you get the same grace and compassion you show them!
If a cop is living every moment of their work day distracted by their fear of danger like you have described then they need to get out of that profession and get help.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:37 PM

As a Range officer? would you tolerate this level of incompetence on your range??????? I think NOT! But if the guy on the range is wearing a blue suit all is forgiven? Have I got that about right??
You folks who defend this type of negligent discharging of a firearm like it is no big deal? Maybe you need to pull your brain out of your blue suit and see it for what this was, DANGEROUS. This should end both their careers and the TRAINING center along with the trainers should be torn down and fired.
But you do you!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:54 PM

I see the usual Monday morning quarterbacks are out in force, yet, many (not all) don't have a clue.

Do I know about major plumbing work? Nope, nor will I "pretend" to, nor argue/slam the profession about it.

Do I know about major electrical work? Nope, nor will I "pretend" to, nor argue/slam the profession about it.

Do I know about rocket science? Nope, nor will I "pretend" to, nor argue/slam the profession about it.

And on and on...Get the point? I hope so.

Look, what we have here is an officer(s) that acted on a situation. Was he/she right or not? Not up to me to decide, nor will I speculate on the "so called facts" presented on our very often edited/distorted/politized social media, which many seem to thrive and rely on.

I am pretty sure this will be resolved, either way, with the process they have in place.

Hope all had a great Family Day long weekend!...