Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 11:07 AM

Default Dealer Hasn’t Paid Lien

Hoping for a little help/insight on this. Thank you in advance!

I recently traded in a vehicle with a small amount owing on the loan (less than $6,000). Obviously, the deal required that the dealer pay off the remaining amount.

The car was purchased nearly three weeks ago, and the vehicle still has not been paid off. In that time, I have had one payment taken from my account (for the traded in vehicle) and will have a second one taken tomorrow. I will be reimbursed for these payments by the finance company, but it is still frustrating that this is occurring. I’m told by the dealership that a cheque was mailed 13 days ago, but the finance company tells me nothing has been received.

What should I do?
Old 03-21-2024, 11:09 AM

Contact big Ken?
Old 03-21-2024, 11:10 AM

Default Lien

I just purchased a new used vehicle to me a few months ago... it took appx 45 days to get the lien taken off the vehicle from CIBC auto finance, I can't believe it took that long
Old 03-21-2024, 11:22 AM

Cheque is in the mail. Second most common lie ever told
Old 03-21-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniaw24 View Post
I just purchased a new used vehicle to me a few months ago... it took appx 45 days to get the lien taken off the vehicle from CIBC auto finance, I can't believe it took that long
I had a similar situation a few years ago. The office was severely backed up ("because Covid ) and it took almost two months for the release paperwork to go through. A little nerve wracking, and frustrating.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:15 PM

Make sure your agreement included wording that it comes lien free. Then ask for proof the lien has been removed. May be a timing issue between paying off the lien and the system being updated.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-21-2024, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Make sure your agreement included wording that it comes lien free. Then ask for proof the lien has been removed. May be a timing issue between paying off the lien and the system being updated.
This. I purchased a truck a few years back that was recently transferred (sold) dealer to dealer and had a lien outstanding. I was supplied with a document guaranteeing it would be paid off by them. Everything was completed in the end, but it did take some time (weeks if I remember correctly)
Old 03-21-2024, 09:44 PM

I’m sure there’s no “cheque in the mail” it’s all bank drafts now and just needs a few key strokes and it’s done.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:45 AM

Guy I was buying a truck from was late, killing time I figured getting a "Lien check" on a 25k rig might be a good idea and it had a lien on it. He'd paid it, his greedy penny pinching bank had messed it all up.

Long story short it took less than 2hrs on a Friday afternoon to clear it and have it show at motor vehicles registrars.

Creeky....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-22-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Contact big Ken?
Wholeheartedly agree.

k
Old 03-22-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
Wholeheartedly agree.

k
Ken is a GREAT guy and a very effective collector. Have a lot of time for the guy, BUT there is no need to start collection activity. If the dealer is AMVIC licensed it will get paid out and cleared. You can call them and get timelines and details easily. If you have any issues, contact AMVIC, they will help get it sorted.

If they aren't AMVIC, call them anyhow and talk to them. No point in pulling out the guns till you at least know the whole story. Even after the lender has been paid, and issued the release, getting the release registered can take time, depending on whether that government department is behind a little, a lot, or WAY behind, like they often are.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I’m sure there’s no “cheque in the mail” it’s all bank drafts now and just needs a few key strokes and it’s done.
Exactly ..... I can't remember the last time I need to use a cheque or use the mail ..... it is going the way of the fax machine.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:32 AM

Thank you, everyone, for the responses.

The lien ended up getting paid off. The dealer sent a cheque (yes, a cheque!) and it was finally received by the financing company.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:12 PM

Just sold my Cummins Diesel for cash$$ and bought my replacement Ford 250 for cash. Cash is King and deals go through in a matter of minutes.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Thank you, everyone, for the responses.

The lien ended up getting paid off. The dealer sent a cheque (yes, a cheque!) and it was finally received by the financing company.
I own and manage a dealership.. and this is going to sound wild.. but almost every single bank/ lender in the car game requires checks sent to them.. they will not accept EFT’s or wires.

Most of them still insist on FAXED in paperwork.

I wouldn’t have believed that until I experienced… they are so archaic and behind.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
I own and manage a dealership.. and this is going to sound wild.. but almost every single bank/ lender in the car game requires checks sent to them.. they will not accept EFT’s or wires.

I wouldn’t have believed that until I experienced… they are so archaic and behind.
That’s strange. My wife is an accountant/controller and she rarely sends cheques. Everything is pdf and drafts.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post

Yeah, I was a little surprised. They even provided me with the Canada Post tracking number to track the draft.