Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2024, 09:59 PM

Default Remington leaving NY

"Prominent New York gun-maker abandons blue state and heads for Georgia"
>>
The 1st of many to leave? Maybe a trend as New York slides deeper into the gutter.

"Remington, the nation’s oldest gun manufacturer, told union officials last year that the company chiefs at RemArms, its current name, would end manufacturing in New York in March. The remaining operations in Ilion will relocate to Georgia, a state company leaders believe “supports and welcomes” the firearm industry — delivering a massive blow to the town so intertwined with the factory"
Old 02-21-2024, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
>>
The 1st of many to leave? Maybe a trend as New York slides deeper into the gutter.

"Remington, the nation’s oldest gun manufacturer, told union officials last year that the company chiefs at RemArms, its current name, would end manufacturing in New York in March. The remaining operations in Ilion will relocate to Georgia, a state company leaders believe “supports and welcomes” the firearm industry — delivering a massive blow to the town so intertwined with the factory"
About time why would you (Remington) support a anti firearms town like NY with your taxes?
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:31 PM

No doubt about that and I'm sure the taxes are crazy high. Moving to gun country in Georgia where I am sure they'll be treated right.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:21 AM

This is likely why they are leaving
https://apnews.com/article/sandy-hoo...fc06275a4df403
Old 02-22-2024, 08:03 AM

I thought they already left?
Old 02-22-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
About time why would you (Remington) support a anti firearms town like NY with your taxes?
But it’s sanctuary city. Where the sanctuary city support illegal immigrants with no education, skillset with $10,000.00 Visa cards, and will raise taxes in NYC residents, business to cover these expenses. Yeah, get out while you can. Have feeling NYC has peaked out. Long road downhill. Wonder if Wall Street markets will relocate to Florida?
Old 02-22-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
>>

If I recall right, S&W also moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee few years back I believe.

Feel sorry for the local folks from this little town. Lots of lost jobs...
Old 02-23-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
But it’s sanctuary city. Where the sanctuary city support illegal immigrants with no education, skillset with $10,000.00 Visa cards, and will raise taxes in NYC residents, business to cover these expenses. Yeah, get out while you can. Have feeling NYC has peaked out. Long road downhill. Wonder if Wall Street markets will relocate to Florida?
Just like Toronto than.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:28 AM

Years ago when I went to Connecticut for first time. Gun manufacturing central at one time. What a disappointment. Scary place.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:53 AM

You only have to tour around Georgia and Alabama to see why large companies are moving there.
Extensive poverty
Available labour force, begging for work at almost any pay rate
Many people there will jump at the chance for a regular job that someone in the North East wouldn't consider.

Kinda like moving to Mexico but staying in the continental US
Old 02-23-2024, 02:59 PM

Remington is a sad story of lawsuits for defective safeties on guns, use of firearms in serious crimes, but the biggest issue in the Bankruptcy was that a Hedge Fund / Venture Capital Fund bought Remington, borrowed a huge amount which was used to pay the Investor Company, and let go bankrupt.

The Union Friendly State of New York meant that the assets if re started had to be a Union Company, which was killing Remington on the balance sheet, but they were still making money until a string of lawsuits.

The New Company will not have the liability for the Lawsuit risk of the Old Company, kind of like how GM dodged payout for its defective ignition cylinders that suddenly caused the steering wheel to lock and loss of power when the key was jiggled at highway speeds. The New GM that came out of the ashes in 2009 did not pay a cent on the Class Action.

The Company will now go to Georgia which is a Right to Work State, and Company Friendly. Alot of Companies have left the "rust belt" states to the Sunshine States which are not pro Union.

This seems to have been the biggest tangle to re starting Remington is dealing with the Unions and the very long running Union Health Benefits for the Workers. Alot of 90 Year Old Union Members were getting their Heart Bypass Operations paid on the Company Health Insurance even though they had not twisted a wrench from age 65. These Benefits can be $300,000 at end of life for major surgeries like Heart Bypass, Cancer Therapy, etc.

Drewski
Old 02-23-2024, 03:02 PM

When can I get a new model 12 pump 22?
Old 02-23-2024, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
This is likely why they are leaving
https://apnews.com/article/sandy-hoo...fc06275a4df403
That is absolute stupidity. So if a police officer is found guilty of illegally shooting a suspect, the suspects family can sue the firearms manufacturer? So if a terrorist drives a vehicle into a crowd, and kills several people, their relatives can sue the auto manufacturer? Laws that allow this make no sense.