Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 09:47 AM

I like hunting alone. The only time I get a little nervous is if I'm trying to sneak into a heavily wooded area before first light. That goes against just about everything we've learned about avoiding a bear confrontation. LOL
Old 04-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. awesome View Post
I usually go out in the bush alone because its just more relaxing. Just make sure you know where you're going, people know where you are and that you have some stuff packed in case you need it. I usually make sure I have a basic first aid kit, food, and always carry a lighter. Better have it and not need it.
Yeah I usually carry that sort of stuff, along with other items that could come in handy, such as an axe, a small saw, a tarp...

The situation that worries me the most which some of you may find ridiculous, is getting my truck stuck somewhere down some snot road in the middle of no where lol.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Son.... I mean this nicely

But grow a pair and get out there.

You'll learn more about yourself out there alone for a day than you'll learn in 5 years.

Trust me.
Love it!
This last fall was my first solo Elk hunt. I can't describe the feeling of self awareness you develop unless you do it. I learned more about myself in those 5 days than the last couple years of camping and hunting. I can't even imagine how I would have felt if I bagged an animal!
Going out with friends and family has a place in my heart, but honestly I can't stop looking at my calendar at those couple weeks between the 'big family trips' in October.
I posted some pics of my trip on an older thread, I think I included some shots of the grizz tracks that cruised right down my main cutline right by my camp. Never saw him the whole time out, but came across his tracks a couple of places throughout the area I was working. Needless to say my hand grew very used to slipping the safety off the can of spray on my hip!
Old 04-27-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Love it!

This last fall was my first solo Elk hunt. I can't describe the feeling of self awareness you develop unless you do it. I learned more about myself in those 5 days than the last couple years of camping and hunting. I can't even imagine how I would have felt if I bagged an animal!

Going out with friends and family has a place in my heart, but honestly I can't stop looking at my calendar at those couple weeks between the 'big family trips' in October.

I posted some pics of my trip on an older thread, I think I included some shots of the grizz tracks that cruised right down my main cutline right by my camp. Never saw him the whole time out, but came across his tracks a couple of places throughout the area I was working. Needless to say my hand grew very used to slipping the safety off the can of spray on my hip!

That sounds pretty motivating. I think that once I start hunting solo, I will be able to focus better on the task at hand, and be less distracted. Which in turn, could make me more successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbpuppy View Post
That sounds pretty motivating. I think that once I start hunting solo, I will be able to focus better on the task at hand, and be less distracted. Which in turn, could make me more successful.

That's one of the best things about it. It's YOUR schedule. Do what you want when you want, you aren't working around a schedule of 8 other people for meals, chores, the biffy!
You want a Grouse for supper, go shoot a Grouse! You don't need to fill a limit to feed a whole crew.
One of the best things about going solo, is how much less you pack, how mush less you can get by on. Love my wife, but some of the stuff she packs into the bush makes a guy scratch his head a bit: "I might need it though!".
Old 04-27-2017, 02:16 PM

Default It's fun and rewarding!

Hunting with buddies is fantastic...but hunting alone is amazing! I probably do about 80% of my hunting alone...get a spot or an inReach and then the connection/rescue issue is taken care off...let people know where you are...and don't be stupid. Like many others here have said, I think you'll find it very rewarding, on a lot of different levels...my 2 cents.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:23 PM

I used too, not any more,

Every time I did, one would sneak up on me, throw me to the ground and have its way with me ...... I was determined to get him ....... It happened again and again ....... Finally, he snapped my gun to pieces and said

YOU DONT COME HERE FOR THE HUNTIN ..... DO YA ?
Old 04-27-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadasnowman View Post

Every time I did, one would sneak up on me, throw me to the ground and have its way with me ...... I was determined to get him ....... It happened again and again ....... Finally, he snapped my gun to pieces and said

....... not sure I would be sharing that story ... lol
Old 04-27-2017, 02:52 PM

Hunting with friends is ok, hunting alone is better, but hunting with a dog is the best there is. My hunting partner is never late, never complains, never gets lost, is always supportive, and we always have a good time together. I'll never hunt without a dog again.

BW
Old 04-27-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Hunting with friends is ok, hunting alone is better, but hunting with a dog is the best there is. My hunting partner is never late, never complains, never gets lost, is always supportive, and we always have a good time together. I'll never hunt without a dog again.

BW
I wish hunting big game accompanied by dog would be legal in Alberta, mine would love to come, he's always very happy when we go hiking
Old 04-27-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW
are you talking about hunting bears with a dog by your side
Old 04-27-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
are you talking about hunting bears with a dog by your side
I'm pretty sure you can't hunt big game with a dog in Alberta. Which is an old and archaic regulation in my opinion. One of the many reasons I've quit hunting big game.

BW
Old 04-28-2017, 09:55 AM

I believe we were quite close to getting dogs approved as pack dogs for sheep hunting in Alberta, however not sure of status now.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:40 PM

I've deer hunted mostly alone in bush for almost 2 decades. I carry a basic map showing features such as rivers, creeks, power lines, cut lines, and roads. And I carry a compass in my pants, my shirt, and my pack. Sometimes when "directionally confused" with an overcast day or after sunset, I've had to take out a second compass because I didn't believe the first one. And no matter how firm I believe the compass has to be wrong, I still follow it. And I always carry gear to survive overnight along with extra food for a couple of days. I have full confidence that I can always walk out by following the compass - however, with a severe injury, I'm hooped - no cell phone, etc. This knowledge makes me more aware of the constant need to pay attention as I move about.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:22 PM

That's a good point MWH. Each step matters when deep in the woods, especially with no cell reception.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:53 PM
Banned

I've hunted alone for decades. Mind you, we didn't wear "man buns" nor plaid shirts and a trimmed beards and pretend to be lumberjacks and weren't afraid of our shadows.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:12 PM

Default remember.............

Complacency kills ..........be prepared JIC if you can't defend yourself you become prey........Harold
Old 04-28-2017, 08:21 PM

I'm gonna be 50 in a few months, so not old, but not young either. However, I have noticed in the last couple of years that I fall down much more than I used to when I'm hunting in the bush. Balance isn't the same, back isn't the same, and the waistline isn't the same either. That is what would make me hesitant, falling down and twisting or breaking an ankle.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:40 AM

Guys, even when hunting with a few buddies a good hunter is always alone. When you leave camp and are now miles away you are on your own, especially if you quad or sled away from camp. Learn to be bush wise and have good survival pack with SPOT.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, even when hunting with a few buddies a good hunter is always alone. When you leave camp and are now miles away you are on your own, especially if you quad or sled away from camp. Learn to be bush wise and have good survival pack with SPOT.
Exactly. Have to have a plan with the boys before everyone splits up. Whether or not I'm with guys and split off or alone from the get go I always let someone know when I should be out just in case .
Old 05-03-2017, 10:57 PM

Guiding bears for some time now, only once have I had to put a wounded bear down that charged. Take a can of spray for safety and learn how to interact with them, they aren't at all like most make them out to be.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:00 AM

Yes, I hunt mostly alone. Including for bear.

That is not too far out, especially with cell service. Somehow does not feel like hunting alone if I have service.

Have a plan "B", or "C". And sometimes when you think: "That's not so bad..", yes; sometimes it is!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-04-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guide5689 View Post
Guiding bears for some time now, only once have I had to put a wounded bear down that charged. Take a can of spray for safety and learn how to interact with them, they aren't at all like most make them out to be.
Agree they aren't as bad as many make them to be, but you still have to be aware and learn to judge their body language.

LC
Old 05-05-2017, 12:03 AM

[QUOTE=Canadasnowman;3527459]I used too, not any more,

YOU DONT COME HERE FOR THE HUNTIN

wrong page

Last edited by JD848; 05-05-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:30 AM

Im more cautious around moose. Respect the animal your hunting but it never usually crosses my mind about being attacked by bear or wolves or... i enjoy my time in the woods even when im not hunting wouldnt want those thoughts weighing on my mind.
Let someone know what area you are headed. If you want take a spot type device. Id suggest a resqlink now that spot jacked up the subscription cost. Its a about the cost of spot device plus the subscription. But the resqlink is free to call for rescue no subcriptions required.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadasnowman View Post

Braggin or complainin ??