Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Banned

Default The Shooters Sandwich(a recipe)

This is traditional english food that was/is enjoyed by the fox hunting crowd.

You need a round loaf of bread...sourdough is good same goes for pumpernickle....it is your choice.Mushrooms and plenty of them about 1 pound of them...yes it sounds like a lot but mushrooms once they have been finely chopped and sauteed reduce massively.You will also need some steaks or breasts.The recipe is flexible with regards to meat.If you want to use goose breast you can or you can opt for beef/moose/elk...whatever floats your boat.Also required is some pate or liver sausage and condiments to taste.I opted with dijon mustard and some miracle whip but feel free to go crazy with horseradish if you like it.

Step one....slice and roghly chop the mushrooms until you are out of whole mushrooms and get busy with the ol "choppa choppa" and finely dice those mushrooms.Throw them in a pan with a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil and a big pinch of salt.Get them wet then get them dry.Draw out all the moisture in the mushrooms and get them carmelized.When they are just about done reduce the heat and push them outwards creating a clear pan in the middle and throw in a 1/2 cup of diced shalots with a bit of butter and cook until translucent then stir it all togeather and let it reduce a bit further....add a splash of red wine/cognac/brandy to deglaze the pan and then set aside.

For the loaf of bread.Take a bread knife and scalp that loaf of bread.Take off the top 25% and set it aside.Next get busy playing dig dug on the bottom half.You want to take out all of the soft bready inards(you have worked hard and if you want to scoff then go for it...no sense throwing it away) once that is done get busy spreading your condiment mixture so that it completely coats the inside of the bread shell as well as the lid and then set it aside.

Next up is the meat and you are the one who chooses what you want be it moose/elk/deer/goose breast but I do suggest beef.Whatever your choice make sure you cook it properly.Trim any large peices of fat then smash out the meat with a tenderiser then season to taste.In a large skillett throw in a bit of butter and pan sear the meat(beef can be pink on the inside I dont know about wild game) until desired be it rare/medium etc.Remove the meat and set aside and add a splash of water to the pan to deglaze it and then add those pan drippings to the mushrooms and mix it in.

Now it is time to assemble this bad boy.Take the bread shell and lay down a layer of meat(you chose it so you get to eat it) and pack it firmly in place.Next fill it with the mushroom /shalot mixture and fill in every nook and cranny with it right all the way up the sides(here is where a guy who only bought a 1/2 pound of mushrooms realizes he did not buy enough) and make sure it is an even thickness.Next up is the pate....slice it thin and make sure you have total coverage.Drop down the final layer of meat and then place the lid on top.

To finish it off wrap that bad boy up LOOSELY in plastic wrap as it cannot be air tight then wrap it again in aluminium foil.Place a baking sheet in the fridge and place the loaf on it then place another baking sheet on top of it.Finally you put something heavy in the centre of the top baking sheet....the giant glass jar of pepper rings from Costco works great

Let it sit over night and you are good.Cut it up into wedges and wrap with cling film for a tasty lunch whilst "shooting"...be it duck hunting or sitting in a tree stand for deer.....or painfully trying to stalk a mountain goat it dont matter...this is the sandwhich that satisfies and fills you up something good.

I made this for lunch last weekend for duck hunting and my fellow AO'r was totally impressed....so much so that I think I turned him off other sandwhiches for life....everything else will suck...no matter if it is a clubhouse or a rueben.

Enjoy.

FTH
Old 10-01-2014, 11:17 PM

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Jk sounds great except for the mushrooms lol wonder what I could sub in for then without messing too much with the sammich
Old 10-02-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
Pictures or it didn't happen!

Jk sounds great except for the mushrooms lol wonder what I could sub in for then without messing too much with the sammich
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/a...th-a-damn.html
Variations without mushrooms
http://imgur.com/a/a4v2k?#vqh1mgC
Old 10-02-2014, 07:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post

Oh my.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:09 AM

Yes! Great thread, and thanks for taking the time to explain it all out. I have yet to try this recipe, but damn if I don't right away. Thanks Omega for the additional pictures.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Yes! Great thread, and thanks for taking the time to explain it all out. I have yet to try this recipe, but damn if I don't right away. Thanks Omega for the additional pictures.
It is a fair bit of effort to make but well worth it not to mention I had leftover wedges for lunch this week.

FTH