Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2014, 04:49 PM

Default Prentiss looks to green energy over coal????

The point of this thread is to promote some discussion about Prentice and how long he can expect to be the Premier of an oil/gas rich province if this is the way he thinks>

http://business.financialpost.com/20...newables-push/
Old 10-02-2014, 04:58 PM

I'm all for wind power as long as it's not subsidized by anyone except the end user that signs up to pay for it. And they have to build those ugly windmills all within 2 miles of cities, and towns. The landscapes there are already destroyed, why destroy what we have left with those things.

One more nail in Jimmy's coffin.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
I'm all for wind power as long as it's not subsidized by anyone except the end user that signs up to pay for it. And they have to build those ugly windmills all within 2 miles of cities, and towns. The landscapes there are already destroyed, why destroy what we have left with those things.
Wind generation is not the answer.
What is one thing that seldom happens when this province is experiencing its peak electricity demand?
The wind seldom blows, that's right our peak demand occurs when it's very hot or bitterly cold, two weather events that come with little or no wind.

Electricity generation is like a good investment portfolio.
Diversified!

If you want renewable energy you better pray for more hydro, solar, and geothermal. Something which isn't being pursued very actively, because of ridiculous regulatory requirements.

And at what cost?

There are no absolutes
Old 10-02-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
What is one thing that seldom happens when this province is experiencing its peak electricity demand?
The wind seldom blows, that's right our peak demand occurs when it's very hot or bitterly cold, two weather events that come with little or no wind.

Diversified!

If you want renewable energy you better pray for more hydro, solar, and geothermal. Something which isn't being pursued very actively, because of ridiculous regulatory requirements.

And at what cost?
No shortage of wind in southern Ab.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Banned

Doesn't matter what the name is, gas, oil, and clearcutting own this province.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
or AO

Banning coal got Ontario into a lot of economic problems. One would have thunk that windmills would have saved Ontario like all the Suzukites said would happen.

Last edited by greylynx; 10-02-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
This summer when we hit our record electricity consumption, there was less than 50 Mega Watts being contributed to the grid from Wind generation.
That's with over 1400 Mega Watts of installed capacity.

There sure as heck wasn't any wind that day.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-02-2014, 05:30 PM

He should be pushing coal gasification. Cheap, plentiful, and burning the syn. gas is clean!
Old 10-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Banned

Annnnd waiting for wildrose to win.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:45 PM

Anybody want to see what windmills do to a province just take a good look at Ontario.

My wife and I are in Ontario now visiting kids and grandkids and the blight on the landscape is awful. Unsightly wind turbines across the southwest, imposition of them on rural communities without recourse to fight having them built in the neighbourhood, lots of apparent health issues, serious impact on wildlife, degradation of property values close by them (interesting that they are never built close to where the 'big-wigs' live and play), they gobble up huge amounts of farmland (each unit takes about 3 acres out of productivity), and most of the time they are not moving thus not generating power.
As well, no one is saying what happens when these windmills reach the end of their lifespan (20 years) and have to come down. Word here is that its going to be another 'boondoggle' because no one is taking responsibility and it is estimated the cost will be around a million dollars per windmill for demolition and disposal of 'waste'. And some of that waste is not disposable in conventional ways. Some are suggesting it will be another environmental disaster. So much for being 'GREEN' over the long haul.

Solar is somewhat better received, but like wind power, it too has been heavily subsidized. And when the money trail is followed it becomes apparent that something 'stinks' (folks affiliated with the lib government who brought in these 'green' programs and initiatives have gotten very wealthy off of it all).

Wind and power subsidies have driven the cost of electricity into the stratosphere. My kids' electricity bills are huge!!! They worry about not being able to pay them. My Dad is a fixed income senior and he is worried he will have to give up his home, where he has lived for 55 years, because electricity costs eat up a good chunk of his monthly resources.

Now, I'm not opposed to green technologies, I'm even seriously considering building our retirement home 'off-grid'. But I am concerned when government gets involved in anything but an 'arm's length' way. Sure, encourage R & D, but let the market place decide if it's a good public investment or not - not the tax-payers' wallet!
Old 10-02-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Diversified!

And at what cost?
That was tongue in cheek Dick284. Where would the professional protesters get the money to pay extra for their electricity? There is no way the NIMBY crowd would allow windmills near their homes, they'd force them on rural residents.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Anybody want to see what windmills do to a province just take a good look at Ontario.

Now, I'm not opposed to green technologies, I'm even seriously considering building our retirement home 'off-grid'. But I am concerned when government gets involved in anything but an 'arm's length' way. Sure, encourage R & D, but let the market place decide if it's a good public investment or not - not the tax-payers' wallet!
And who always gets nailed for these stupid hair brained ideas.?

The taxpayer at the bottom. And they continue to vote liberal.

All I can say is they voted themselves to freeze in the dark. It is not Alberta's fault...yet.

Good post Mistagin.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:04 PM

Prentiss looks to green energy over coal????

I think you need to learn how to spell the guy's name before you critique his policies and views. Just sayin....
Old 10-02-2014, 06:05 PM

Nuclear, its the only plausible "green" energy of the future at the moment.

Hard part will be educating the public and dispelling irrational fears of nuclear power generation.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwo View Post
The point of this thread is to promote some discussion about Prentice and how long he can expect to be the Premier of an oil/gas rich province if this is the way he thinks>

http://business.financialpost.com/20...newables-push/
I really get the feeling he's just saying words, to try to get elected.....just pandering to sound bytes. Trying to suck in gullible people. Same technique Redford pulled on Teachers/etc.

As others have mentioned, coal gassification, nuclear, and natural gas fired generation are way better options. Even so, the coal generating plants here have some of the leading pollution control technology in the world, installed (and developed in house BTW).
Old 10-02-2014, 08:14 PM

It is bizarre, if not hypocritical, that nuclear is banned in AB. Bring on the nukes!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:04 PM

i dont care what they use to make power as long as the bill is cheap , they have sure been gouging us lately.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Prentiss looks to green energy over coal????

I think you need to learn how to spell the guy's name before you critique his policies and views. Just sayin....
1. I did spell his name wrong in the title but correctly in the body of the post. My bad.

2. I didn't critique anything. I simply invited discussion.

3. If you support Prentice, and his policies, I hope you have a better way to defend him than suggesting that any comments must have proper spelling (as well as proper grammar and punctuation, I presume) to be valid.

For the record, I have yet to critique Prentice and/or any of his policies.

Just saying.....
Old 10-03-2014, 08:08 AM

Have to realize the current windmills don't harvest electricity, they harvest gov't subsidies. They simply are not economically viable. The technology is simply not there.

Windmills are just another feel good liberal idea that doesn't work in reality. One only has to do a little research on places that bought the wind power idea, like europe, or even ontario. Check what's happening to Ontario's electricity rates thanks to windmills, it's bankrupting them and killing businesses.

And, as stated, if they're such a great idea put them on top of city buildings; after all that's where the demand is(and the voter support for hairbrained things like this). Stringing powerlines everywhere is about as far from green as you can get.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:16 AM

Go Nuclear!!! Go!

LC
Old 10-03-2014, 08:46 AM

http://youtu.be/pKOYObwBZLc

There are no absolutes
Old 10-03-2014, 11:19 AM

Red Tories (99% Progressive 1% conservative) like Prentice will always default to policies that favor expansion of the state. Since so called green energy cannot pay its own way, it's a perfect fit for those who worship the great Eco-leviathan. Sadly, most folk now days do..... Sigh...

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.