Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 08:10 PM

I have a brother who lives not far from the Grohman factory he sent me a clearance knife for Xmas last year the flaw is somewhere in the handle hard to find, it's no different than the other six I have just an all round great product IMO.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:58 PM

Exclamation

Seconds are the only way to go with Grohmann. They're fine at the low price points but are a disgrace at full retail. Due to whatever passes for patriotism in Canada, they seem to sell well.
The two I have took many hours of labor to bring to a decent and usable edge. Very rough work on the finish. The stainless is near useless for a knife, basically kitchen sink/appliance steel. It's nowhere near as good as the Krupps 4116 I've had in other knives.
Scratches very easily on the downside. Upside is that they appear to be entirely impervious to corrosion and are very tough blades. Neither of the two I have bends easily and neither has broken despite some abuse.

OK knives, especially if one likes the looks. I have been using my pair of Grohmanns (#1 and #2) for some years now and they do get the job done. I've done up all manner of birds and small game with them. I even used the pair and a little caping/paring style knife to field to fork Big Game. Freshened the edge lots and got through butchering okay with just the #2.

Best of luck, let us know how you do when they arrive!

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 04-23-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:06 PM

Default Quality

The clearance that they have is better than most knives period. I used to buy when I passed through. I always bought the non clearance but they are still with me. 20 years and passed them along to my sons.

Being defeated is optional!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:38 AM

Inspired by this thread, I stopped in to a shop and checked out some new Grohmanns. They were nice for the price actually.

I am more into Bark River or so for next knives and these ones are just a different level than what we get for under 100 these days... Ugh, 2017 after all!

I am into a Grohmann #1 and #2 for under two hundred bucks and they've easily done ten times that in work. They are what they are though, not crazy sharp A2 or what have you. Nothing to shave with, unlike the el cheapo Cold Steel polypropylene handle 4116 Krupps I've had previously. Which was weird because those ones were more like Mora money.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:38 PM

Ok!
Got my knife.... very impressive for the price.

That's worth me picking up two more.

I want the bird knife and another outdoorsman one so all my kids have decent steel in the bush.

I like supporting a Canadian company with a cool story too.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."