Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 02:47 PM

Default Trapper Gord

Just completed the ATA basic Course last weekend.

A tip of the hat to Gordy Klassen.
Not only is he a great instructor but he is an interesting person. His love for trapping, his knowledge and expertise obtained from the field/trapline and across the desk dealing with stakeholders and Government officials is endless. His commitment to trapping, its history and its future are very much appreciated.
Thanks,

Terry
Cochrane, AB
Old 04-24-2017, 03:01 PM

x2
Old 04-24-2017, 05:34 PM

Gordy has spent a pile of time and his own money working for Alberta trappers we are lucky to have him.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:37 PM

I took the course with Gordy last month, it was great, answered all my questions. He has tons of good stories to share as well.

Last year I took the brain tanning course with Ross Hinter, another great fellow. Endless knowledge.

Definitely money well spent.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:45 PM

Yup. Great guy in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 PM

Here's another great story of Gordy doing good work on behalf of trappers.

http://fur.ca/news/trapperworld/
Old 04-25-2017, 07:43 AM

As long as you fall in line with his vision and agenda it's all good. Otherwise, quite a very different/ugly side to him. Not so professional/pleasant! In these cases...just a bully with money!

Last edited by uke hunter; 04-25-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:52 PM

Default Gordy Klassen

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke hunter View Post
As long as you fall in line with his vision and agenda it's all good. Otherwise, quite a very different/ugly side to him. Not so professional/pleasant! In these cases...just a bully with money!
Are you with PETA? LOL. Just kidding, maybe you voted Liberal or NDP last election.

As with most things in life... if you have a common interest and goal you will find pleasure in communication with that person(s). If not, your someone else doing something different, and that's ok!!!

Your comment about money is stupid. Give a guy credit for doing well.

If you care about trapping, you should take them time and thank those who have put in so much time and effort to make trapping better for all of us now and in the future.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:52 PM
AO Sponsor

Most people have a very short memory. However, think back to the Alberta Trappers Association 25 years ago... oh the pain... the absolute pain.

All it seemed to be was an association that the primary concern was a little store that sold trapping supplies. So much time was spent at director meetings on the store, and so little energy on trapping activities and concerns, it was tragic. Sooooo much cigar and cigarette smoke inhaled, even those poor supposed non smokers.

Then along came Gordy Klassen. Next thing you know, willing workers that were also very concerned with the future of trapping in Alberta came along side and turned the association into likely one of the most respectable trappers associations in the world.

So a guy might not like everything that any particular individual is doing, especially those that are leading, and the same will apply to Mr Klassen but I do believe we all owe this man much respect? Do make sure he gets it.

Also, if you don't like what a person is doing, do go and talk to him or her. You may actually resolve something and make the world a better place.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:24 PM

Well said Marty. 👍
Old 04-26-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Most people have a very short memory. However, think back to the Alberta Trappers Association 25 years ago... oh the pain... the absolute pain.

All it seemed to be was an association that the primary concern was a little store that sold trapping supplies. So much time was spent at director meetings on the store, and so little energy on trapping activities and concerns, it was tragic. Sooooo much cigar and cigarette smoke inhaled, even those poor supposed non smokers.

Then along came Gordy Klassen. Next thing you know, willing workers that were also very concerned with the future of trapping in Alberta came along side and turned the association into likely one of the most respectable trappers associations in the world.

So a guy might not like everything that any particular individual is doing, especially those that are leading, and the same will apply to Mr Klassen but I do believe we all owe this man much respect? Do make sure he gets it.

Also, if you don't like what a person is doing, do go and talk to him or her. You may actually resolve something and make the world a better place.
Amen 👏
Old 04-27-2017, 01:56 AM

You can't please everybody.

I took his trapping course, loved it! Had a great time and learnt a lot. I would do it again just to listen to his stories.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

Great post!
Old 04-27-2017, 10:44 AM

Even if you ignore all the extra's Gordy has done for the ATA, just the effort and time as President is a major contribution to our organization. However if you want a good example of his dedication read the story about how he almost single handily broke all the concrete and repaired the water damage to the ATA building. I would estimate a construction company would have charged around $30,000 for that repair.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:26 AM

Athe the last rendezvous in pincher creek Gordy showed a slide show and a presentation of the whole progress on the basement. All the concrete broke out and lugged up in 5 gal buckets.
I know if I was a greedy business owner that had all the power to make all the decisions I would have hired my company at an inflated rate of course and then give the ata the bill.

And as you all know that didn't happen. Gordy also talked about the well to do farmer that donated the money to the ATA and how a couple of bad apples fed the farmer "fake news" (much like on this forum sometimes ) and the farmer was hopping mad. Gordy as the evil villain went out of his way to repair the relationship between the farmer and himself and the ATA. What an evil money hungry villain.

But many on here armchair quarter back from their safety of their computer's or Iphones and belly ache. I am sure not one of the bellyachers show to the rendezvous. I gained a lot of respect for that evil villain. His dedication is legendary and is a good positive voice for many trappers. Many other folk I regard in this way like Brian B and we'll I would include Mary S but I don't want his ego to grow. hahaha kidding Marty.
Bill
Old 04-29-2017, 09:32 AM
Banned

I've never met Mr. Klasson, but have only heard good things about him. I did visit his small store when I was hunting near Debolt a couple years ago, and hope to visit his new store in the future.