Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 06:07 PM

Default Better trailer tire?

Not having much luck finding info on google, so thought I would try here....

My boat trailer has Carlisle 5.30-12 bias tires on it. After one year they are worn out. Is there a better tire to use? Would a radial last longer if they come in that size?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2017, 06:34 PM

Yes, last year my bias ply on my boat trailer went premature. The guy at the tire shop said I will get better life out of a radial
Old 04-26-2017, 07:01 PM

If your fenders allow it, go to 13 in. Bolt pattern is the same. I got mine on sale at Princess auto.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:14 AM

Biggest tire that will fit under wheel well will help and for sure a quality radial tire will help. They hop way less and they squirm around less too. Even used car tires with a summer or All season tread work really well on boat trailers. I get used 13" tires very inexpensively and run 4 of those on my tandem boat trailer. Just make sure they match for brand,size etc and are balanced. Right now running Bridgestones.

The cheap Chinese Bias plys that come on most RVs and boats are actually dangerous and wear out way early.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Biggest tire that will fit under wheel well will help and for sure a quality radial tire will help. They hop way less and they squirm around less too. Even used car tires with a summer or All season tread work really well on boat trailers. I get used 13" tires very inexpensively and run 4 of those on my tandem boat trailer. Just make sure they match for brand,size etc and are balanced. Right now running Bridgestones.

The cheap Chinese Bias plys that come on most RVs and boats are actually dangerous and wear out way early.
You are so right. My toyhauler fifthwheel came with the junk china bombs as they are commonly referred to. Changed right to sailun G rated and have 2000 pounds extra capacity. Most manufactures put the minimum on.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:57 PM
AO Sponsor

I would absolutely suggest moving to a radial tire from bias ply. I honestly have not found any brand to last longer than another and even the cheaper trailer stuff seems to do just fine, but just like anything, it will come down to how you take care of your stuff. Make sure you are watching your pressures versus the amount of weight you are carrying. Too much or too little pressure will absolutely cause poor wear issues.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:55 PM

Smile Yrailer tires

Had the same problem with those cheap Carliles on my quad trailer(single quad, 12" tires), lucky to get two years use. Also had lots of blowouts. Found radials at Princess Auto for $90 per tire. Now get about 4 yrs until I change them. Never had a blowout.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:26 PM

thanks for the info!
Old 04-28-2017, 04:34 AM
Banned

I'm not sure if they sell the size you need but I would look at maxxis if you want quality.

Here's a link,

http://shop.maxxiscanada.com/product/trailer/
Old 05-01-2017, 12:26 PM

I'm in the same "boat" replacing mine as well and want something better.
Mine are 4.80/12 and last ones I got were the HD ones that hold 90 psi, didn't seem to help a bunch as they get pretty hot on the hiway. The boat is a 16ft lund with a 55hp

I was thinking going up to the 13", I have 3" between the tire and fender well and springs don't have a lot of give. Would radials be better is the consensus? I've been looking at the highest load rated trailer tires mostly as my trailer might be a bit light for the boat.

50psi radials will shed more heat so to speak than 90 psi trailer tires?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:59 PM

ended up getting some ST145 R12 E load radials that fit my shorelandr. Hopefully they last more then a year. Same Diameter as the 5.3 but just a little wider. Thanks for all the info!

TUFFBUFF

Have a look at this info....

https://www.etrailer.com/question-80297.html
Old 05-01-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
I'm in the same "boat" replacing mine as well and want something better.
Mine are 4.80/12 and last ones I got were the HD ones that hold 90 psi, didn't seem to help a bunch as they get pretty hot on the hiway. The boat is a 16ft lund with a 55hp

I was thinking going up to the 13", I have 3" between the tire and fender well and springs don't have a lot of give. Would radials be better is the consensus? I've been looking at the highest load rated trailer tires mostly as my trailer might be a bit light for the boat.

50psi radials will shed more heat so to speak than 90 psi trailer tires?
The larger the diameter the tire the less revolutions per mile and thus less heat. Also true of squirm and this is usually a function of the correct inflation. All things being equal, size, width etc; Radials heat up less because of their inherent design than bias ply. Their sidewalls however are not typically as durable as Bias ply tires are.

Radials of the right load range make far better trailer tires for pavement and gravel. If you have the tires on a heavy duty off road trailer the selection may well change but for boat and RV trailers I would always pick a radial.

You would benefit by putting 13" tires on the trailer if they fit. You also want to look at your load distribution in the boat when pulling. Weight the boat and trailer on a highway scale. Compare this weight of the loaded boat and trailer to the trailers weight capacity. If you are real close figure out how to reduce the weight on the trailer as much as possible or get a bigger trailer.

Make sure you have at least 10% of the weight on the tongue and try to keep most of the heavier stuff over the axle or just close either side, while still keeping 10-15% of the weight on the tongue. If you get too much weight on the tongue the trailer will sway back and forth going down the highway, this is not good but neither is having the tongue weight too light.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:38 PM

my 5th wheel has lt tires on it . recommended right from factory

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”