Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 02:12 PM

For my use it has to be,
Comfortable, light weight, consistently accurate, Syth/stainless 30-06.
Errm wait that's my rifle!
Old 04-27-2017, 08:31 AM

Smile 270 elk

For myself its a wood stock nice trigger in 270 or 338 in sako
Old 04-28-2017, 06:19 AM

Having never bought a brand new rifle in a store, only used, I think it would come down to
-Caliber and cartridge: usually I get on a roll and then stuck with it... like mmm i want a 7mm... and then I start researching all the different 7mm's that are out there and then decide what cartridge I'm going to get.
-reputation and quality, is this model of rifle known to have issues or not, is the action a strong action.
-Price: it it meets the action type that Im looking for a solid action for a good price, ill pick it up, and then rechamber it or switch out the barrel to the caliber that I want. done this for the past 3 rifles, took them to RKS and then I have a rifle that will out shoot me.
-make and model... I will say the last rifle that i bought and that I didnt do anything to it, I went in looking for a browning BLR in 243. I just wanted a lever action in a 243 and wanted it to look good.

As for everything else, MOA: will never know until you shoot it, and can improve in through bullet research and simple modifying.
Trigger: Can always change it out for a Timny or jewell.
Looks: Depends on the price of the rifle, and what I'm wanting to do with it. I personally love wood stocks or some of the boyds, so if the stock that comes on the rifle is plastic, i will usually rip it off and put a wood on it. Gotta have heirloom pieces, and gotta look good after you shot that monster.

I guess Im a gun nut, lol doesn't take much to turn me on to a rifle, im more picky about scopes then rifles.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:32 PM

Levergun,saddle gun,box magazine-( takedown)
Old 05-02-2017, 07:10 AM

For me it really depends on the style of hunting I will be doing. I don't take my 16 lb long range rifle to walk or sit in a tree stand. Got to use the right tool for the job. If I had to choose only one gun it would be my custom 300 Win Mag with a Borden action, #3 BRUX, Mcmillan Gamescout stock, NF SHV. 10 lbs 2 oz complete. Light enough to carry, but heavy enough to shoot WAY out there with 215 Bergers.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:06 AM

Action
Feel
Cartridge

I sold my first 30-06 for one with a detachable magazine. At the time options were limited for LH bolts that had detach vs hinged floor plate. A lot more options now though.

Price also has played a role. I was looking for a 223 just for fun. Russell's had a LH Remington fluted heavy barrel with HS precision stock with a wicked discount when they were selling off their stock. I couldn't pass it up.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:00 AM

For me it is comes down to simply fit. If a rifle fits and shoulders well I am confident in my abilities to put the round where I need it. Everything else is semantics. A perfect example is the X-Bolt. I know several people who own them. Shoot them lights out. To me, they are the most awkward rifles to hold. I have to really focus and struggle on each shot to ger 3 or 4 MOA on rifles I know are sub. Put me on a Ruger and totally different story, as fast I can shoulder I can aim.