Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 09:01 AM

Default Boaters license

How do you get a boaters replacement card? I looked at one online source and they are charging stupid amounts of money to replace a card. Mine is all worn off and should get a new one. Is there not a way to get a free reprint?
Old 04-26-2017, 09:09 AM

I've been wondering the same thing... Mine is cracked and pretty worn out...
Old 04-26-2017, 09:27 AM

Mine was also very worn out last year and could barely make out any #'s, got a warning from CO in Sask. I was able to get 3 for 20 bucks with Boaters exam but depends which company you did the exam with but to answer your question no free reprint from my experience .
Old 04-26-2017, 09:47 AM

Default Replaced Mine this year

I ordered 3 replacement cards this winter. 1 for the wallet, 1 to stay in the boat at all times, and 1 for when it need replaced the next time. I was checked out by F&W last year, and he made the suggestion that he had trouble reading it, and it should be replaced. Its criminal what they charge.

I would be interested if anyone had a good idea for a cover, sleve, or coating that would protect it better.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 AM

I have my card in a pouch, like below, that is attached to my boat key ring. Got my card in 2004 and it still looks brand new.

[/URL]
Old 04-26-2017, 10:35 AM

37 buck approx for 3 cards.
Mine lasted 10 yrs before I lost it. So I phoned last week and had them ship out 3 new ones. I also had my address updated.
If you know who you got it through give them a shout if not or the company that you used are no longer in business you might need to go through the Feds. From what I understand they will look up your info and tell you who you used.

Here is the gov website with the "what to do if" answer:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...faq-2233.htm#l

Boaterexam's number is 1.866.688.2628 if you used them.

RJ
Old 04-26-2017, 11:02 AM

Three years ago, couldnt locate the company from my original card(cracked). So I contacted BOATERexam.com and sent photocopy of cracked one and they sent new cards(had to pay) received 3 new cards and on file with them now. Figured the price wasnt bad. Should last another 30 years providing I dont lose any.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:59 PM

Wallet sized self-adhesive laminating pouches work well for preserving the info on the card.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:13 PM

They never ask for it anyways. Just a money grab
Old 04-26-2017, 03:17 PM

I scanned both sides of mine and made color copies. Laminated several, one for each boat. I've been checked twice and CO accepted the duplicate without a problem. Original stays at home, plus I have the scan.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:02 PM

You would think an organization like this would at least be able to send you proof of getting it done in an email and have a license number for your u at least. If I call hunter Ed up and need proof of a hunters license are they going to say I have to pay 20$? I doubt it.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:08 PM

Mine is actually brand new as I actually keep it at home in a box....Should probably bring it with me but have never been asked for it in the past 10 years...HAHA
Old 04-26-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
They never ask for it anyways. Just a money grab
I've been asked for it twice in 1 year, and know that the local RCMP check regularly, as do the F&W.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:01 AM

This thread reminded me my card is in tough shape. My original issuer is out of business so I have emailed the feds at:

pcoc-ccep@tc.gc.ca

Asking them how to get replacement cards.

I have only ever been asked to produce the card once and was glad I had it on me, for $20 or 30 bucks would rather have a few extra around and avoid any hassles.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
You would think an organization like this would at least be able to send you proof of getting it done in an email and have a license number for your u at least. If I call hunter Ed up and need proof of a hunters license are they going to say I have to pay 20$? I doubt it.
It does seem odd that proof of a government license can't be supplied by the government. But then perhaps it's not really a government LICENSE. On the web pages of Transport Canada it's referred to most often as proof of training. Perhaps it's more appropriate to think of it like a diploma. Government might demand some sort of certification to do something, but you go back to the college you went to in order to get a copy of your diploma. In that light the process makes more sense.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM

Carry a photo of the card on your cell phone.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I scanned both sides of mine and made color copies. Laminated several, one for each boat. I've been checked twice and CO accepted the duplicate without a problem. Original stays at home, plus I have the scan.
That is what I decided to do. My card was worn out and when I was charged 20 bucks for one, I figured they are going to need to accept the color print out I will carry and the new replacement will sit at home.
One of the worst cash grabs I have seen. One time payment for the course and or test but to charge for the new card.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 04-27-2017, 05:34 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
I've been asked for it twice in 1 year, and know that the local RCMP check regularly, as do the F&W.

Money grab I agree but get it and have it or pay the fine.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post

I've been asked 3 times ! Keep it in my dry box on the boat. Still looks new, had it since it was needed.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:06 PM

I suppose if you dont operate a friends boat or a second boat you can leave it in your boat. Its in my wallet if I ever need to produce it.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:19 AM

In process of obtaining replacement cards. I emailed Transport Canada and they advised me that they had no record of me ever taking the course and that I needed to provide proof. And that my original provider was NOT able to issue cards. Asked me to email in what I had, along with supplementary ID like a DL. I emailed them an image of my broken old Boat Licence, and DL. They then created a record for me in their database and sent me a verification letter to be used when dealing with someone of their approved list to provide the replacement cards. For a fee of course.

Surprising thing is that Transport Canada responded to me within minutes, and that everything was done with them in 2 hours. Now if I could find an "approved" provider who responds that fast, I will be done with this!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:11 PM

So lets see if we have this right, IF your american and you bring a boat into the country you don't need to prove anything for 45 days? IF you rent a boat and have filled out a Rental Boat Safety Checklist, that is good enough proof of competency free of charge and no card to produce. OR IF you are aboriginal and not using the boat for recreation.....

So why on earth are the rest of us forced to pay money and take a course???

All you need is a rental boat safety check list?

A variety of documents may serve as proof of competency:
completed Rental Boat Safety Checklist, good only for the rental period

Do the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations apply to aboriginals?

While the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations apply to aboriginals, the Regulations do not apply in situations where the craft is used for daily living or subsistence activities (such as hunting and fishing for the purpose of subsistence). However, most aboriginals that use a boat for subsistence activities also use it for recreational purposes on occasion. As such, it is recommended everyone have proof of competency. To remove ambiguity, the Regulations state that application is limited to pleasure craft used for recreational purposes.

Proof of competency is not required in the following situations:

the boat is being operated in the waters of Nunavut or the Northwest Territories
the boat is being used for daily living or subsistence activities (such as hunting and fishing practised by many Indigenous peoples)
a visitor to Canada is operating the boat he or she brought into Canada for less than 45 consecutive days
Old 04-29-2017, 09:17 AM
Banned

Good thread. Good tips. I never thought about replacing card. Mine is in pristine condition, and I have made photocopies of front and back to keep in boat or with fishing gear.