Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Default Vacation pay on overtime

Reading another thread got me to thinking, In Alberta do you accrue vacation pay on overtime ? I have read through the alberta labour employment standards and I can not find any information if the 6% vacation pay is based just on straight time or combined time ?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Banned

http://work.alberta.ca/documents/Vac...cation-Pay.pdf

it depends on your employer. in the workplace that's kind of the minimum and tends to be better
Old 10-02-2014, 02:40 PM

Vacation pay is calculated on your regular, normal earnings.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc21 View Post
Reading another thread got me to thinking, In Alberta do you accrue vacation pay on overtime ? I have read through the alberta labour employment standards and I can not find any information if the 6% vacation pay is based just on straight time or combined time ?
In Alberta it doesn't apply to overtime hours. Straight time only.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:13 PM

It depends.

Legislation normally establishes minimum benefits, the unintended consequence is that
'Legislated minimums usually become normal practice and effectively become practiced maximums.'

If you do not have an Individual Contract or Collective Agreement then the employer is only obligated to pay legislated minimums. You can negotiate anything in an Individual Contract, and legislated minimums may or may-not apply.

Vacation and Holiday pay are not the same and can be calculated on a different basis. Some Legislation and Agreements require calculating both on gross earnings, other Legislation and Agreements allow calculation based on regular wage rate x hours worked, others allow calculation of each separately and pay holiday benefits on 'regular' (40 or 44 hrs @ straight time) earnings with no credit for overtime. Vacation is normally calculated on all hours worked but may be @ regular rates or gross earnings. The rates used for calculating these benefits can also vary widely and can differ substantially from the Provincial Legislation minimums, as can the time that these benefits are payable.

Similarly medical and pension benefits can be calculated on many differing mixtures of 'regular' rates and earnings and actual hours worked and gross earnings.

This is one of the major differences between the CLAC Collective Agreements and a real Union Collective agreement.

Always carefully negotiate and read YOUR agreements before signing them and agreeing to their terms.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 10-02-2014, 04:11 PM

If you work overtime in BC you get paid holiday pay for it. Not in Alberta.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
In Alberta it doesn't apply to overtime hours. Straight time only.
Straight / Regular time only for majority of employers I would say. For me, its regular time only.