Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-27-2016, 11:33 AM

Default Chainsaw Winch Vs Capstan Winch

Hey Folks,

In the market for a hunting winch as im getting up there in age and have also been hunting more on my own the past few years. Looking at either the Chainsaw Winch or the Portable Winch.

Anyone that could provide their recommendation would be of great help. Pros/cons? User experience?

Thanks, Ted Brogan.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:39 AM

I've used both and will never go back to a lewis winch again!
I find the rope capstan much easier and versatile to use, I can becket off the ropewith a pressick hitch danged near anywhere and reposition the capstan, I can add rope , hitch the load directly to my load line if I want, and nothing gets kinked up like a cable winch.
Cat
Old 05-27-2016, 12:11 PM

Default Capstan

I understand the versatility of using your saw as a winch, and I have not personally used the saw style. But I use the capstans for work stringing lines and pulling anchors and also personally have one in my jetboat. I love them, super versatile and you are only limited by your rigging and continuous rope length.

Capstan gets my biased vote.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:39 PM

Ive got that portable capstan winch. Only ever used it to pull a bull moose out of the bush in deep snow, worked awsome and saved a lot of farting around. I got it to pull my jet boat if I get stuck but somehow I have not had to use it for that yet. Mine dosent run the greatest and to get it to wind out I have to pull the air filter off or it runs to rich. It dosent seem to have the jam of the chainsaw winch I had used one time but the fact that you can use an unlimited amount of rope and always have full power (winch only has full power when the drum is right empty) makes up for some of that. Glad I bought it.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:07 PM

Default Fyi

When your shopping, there are two models. Get the bigger 2500lb rated one, you won't be sorry.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleh01 View Post
When your shopping, there are two models. Get the bigger 2500lb rated one, you won't be sorry.
X2! The amount of difference in cost versus size is extreme when you compare how much more you get for the amount of money yo have to pay.
The extra capacity always comes in handy!
Cat
Old 05-29-2016, 02:29 PM

Never used the Capstan winch, but at the mill I work at we use a chainsaw winch for changing conveyor chain, or whenever a chain breaks and the operater runs the whole thing down the return before noticing... ARRGH! We've got ours on a Husky 365 and it has probably pulled hundreds of tons of drag chain up hundreds of kilometers of conveyor chutes over the years. Very rugged product.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:04 PM

My dad has the capstan winch. Definitely recommend for the portability and versatility. Used it to recover 6 moose now. It's got a Honda motor.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleh01 View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like the Capstan is the way to go.

One more question, has anyone used the smaller model? I like the idea of 20 lbs. in weight rather than 35 on the bigger model.

I can certainly appreciate that bigger is better but if i can get away with the small one, my back (and wallet) will thank me.

Thanks again for the input, Ted.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:24 PM

Can always double line it for more pulling capacity
Old 05-31-2016, 08:32 PM

Id go with the big one. I have a short strap that is meant to go around a tree that I hook to the winch and sling it over the shoulder across the chest like woman who is afraid of her purse getting stolen. Easy to carry.

Also get one of those water proof dry bags they sell for camping/canoeing and use it as a rope bag. Just feed the rope into the bag and when you need it pull it out. Little to no tangles and no winding up and tying needed. Keeps the rope dry too but if you put it away wet it will rot in the bag if you don't take it out to dry.

Last edited by ROA; 05-31-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 AM

Thanks for all the info, i have made my decision!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Banned

I have the Smaller one and it pulled a mature Buffalo out of the bush in 3 feet of snow.. Snatch block solves any problem with weight

QUOTE=Fearthebeard;3242742]Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like the Capstan is the way to go.

One more question, has anyone used the smaller model? I like the idea of 20 lbs. in weight rather than 35 on the bigger model.

I can certainly appreciate that bigger is better but if i can get away with the small one, my back (and wallet) will thank me.

Thanks again for the input, Ted.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-07-2016, 08:36 AM

Does anyone know the approximate retail price of the smaller PCW3000 capastan winch? I asked for a quote but the office is closed on weekends.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:41 AM

Never mind. I found it.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:55 AM

I just spent another Saturday winching up logs from the bottom of my lake lot .
A Lewus style winch would have had some issues because I had to use severe snatch blocks because of the terrain
The rope runs through blocks a lot easier , and it is super simple to addit take away a length of rope if needed.
Cat
Old 10-21-2016, 03:44 PM

can you run Dyneema Winchline on the Chainsaw Winch instead of wire?
Old 10-21-2016, 07:19 PM

Had a chainsaw winch. Pulled out many large animals out of the mountains. Downside is getting either in. Slow retrieve on either. But if you hunt cold weather a great one man option. Will get things done a lot easier but a lot slower.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:40 PM

Have Lewis winch.with Stihl O88 (120cc). Heavier line. Pull F350, no problem.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:29 PM

Capstan winch is the only way to go. I've had both and I wouldn't go back to a chainsaw winch.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:09 PM

agreed. thanks for the info.

Have you had any experience with block and tackle/ mechanical advantage?

need a little more power out of the winch, might be best to start a new thread.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:41 PM

I use snatch blocks sometimes, I have two that the company sells and a standard metal rope block as well.
They are very fast to use and work very well.
Cat