Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2017, 02:49 PM
Banned

Default Planer Boards

Anyone use planer boards for trolling. I just built a triple style for the starboard side for any rainbows spooked by the motor when trolling. What do people use for rigging the planer board rope connection to the line. Shower hangers? I built mine Chesapeake Bay style.

http://www.downtimecharters.com/Idea...-plans2010.pdf
Old 04-12-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Anyone use planer boards for trolling. I just built a triple style for the starboard side for any rainbows spooked by the motor when trolling. What do people use for rigging the planer board rope connection to the line. Shower hangers? I built mine Chesapeake Bay style.

http://www.downtimecharters.com/Idea...-plans2010.pdf
I use lightweight paracord for the line and a Scotty Planner board release - see link.

https://www.amazon.com/SCOTTY-Power-.../dp/B001YS6STE
Old 04-12-2017, 10:20 PM
Banned

I use in line planers now, but when I used the board planers I had a large fly reel mounted to a mast in the boat with heavy braid for the board itself, and a downrigger release for the line off the back of the board.

Just curious as to why you are using the board planers, are you planning on running an extra line or two of the one board line. In lines are so much easier to use IMO.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:22 PM

Ok someone please clear something up. I would like to start using planers this year in our shallow alberta lakes. Seems like a solid idea. Do you have a separate line running to the planer and a release? It looks like that big ole planer(in the videos I've watched) is attached to The main line therefore having to reel it in with the fish. Is this true?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Ok someone please clear something up. I would like to start using planers this year in our shallow alberta lakes. Seems like a solid idea. Do you have a separate line running to the planer and a release? It looks like that big ole planer(in the videos I've watched) is attached to The main line therefore having to reel it in with the fish. Is this true?
I used to run a separate line for the board with a release on the back with the fishing line through it. Fish bit, line released, and once the fish was caught and landed I then retrieved the board to re-clip the fishing line. Sort of the same idea as a downrigger, one line to the ball, and the fishing line through the release. Retrieve the ball to re-set the line after fish is caught.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Depends on the type of board you are using and what you want to pull behind it.

Inline planners attach directly to your fishing line and are easy to use. They do a reasonably good job on calm waters trolling a lure that doesn't drag to hard (like a deep running large crank). No other lines needed.

Here's an example .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkqEisYjAeg

The big side planners require the boards to be tied off to the boat - they obviously pull allot harder, can be used in heavier choppy waters and have virtually no limitations on what you troll behind them. They also allow you to run multiple fishing lines off one planner set up. They also require the use of a hanger/ring and a release.

Here's what this set up looks like and how it works ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m40YavTnpw
Old 04-12-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Depends on the type of board you are using and what you want to pull behind it.

Inline planners attach directly to your fishing line and are easy to use. They do a reasonably good job on calm waters trolling a lure that doesn't drag to hard (like a deep running large crank). No other lines needed.

Here's an example .....

The big side planners require the boards to be tied off to the boat - they obviously pull allot harder, can be used in heavier choppy waters and have virtually no limitations on what you troll behind them. They also allow you to run multiple fishing lines off one planner set up. They also require the use of a hanger/ring and a release.

Here's what this set up looks like and how it works ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m40YavTnpw
Thanks. That's what I thought. Those yellow Off Shore ones looks like good stuff. I've been looking at buying a couple to try out. Getting outside the prop wash is ideal. I've always wanted something like that but never studied it much.

Would you say you catch more with a planer while trolling?
Old 04-13-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:

Here's an example .....

I run offshore inline planer board in up to 2-3' waves,, just have too troll with the waves. We also pull extreme deep diving crank baits with them (reef runner 800s, deep taildancers and hottlipps, even jet divers sometimes) just have too adjust tension on your clips or upgrade your clips. There are also inline boards now made by offshore and church's that are made too pull musky baits and dipsy divers for salmon. Personally I don't see any reason too use the big boards anymore,, the inlines can do it all
Old 04-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I use in line planers now, but when I used the board planers I had a large fly reel mounted to a mast in the boat with heavy braid for the board itself, and a downrigger release for the line off the back of the board.

Just curious as to why you are using the board planers, are you planning on running an extra line or two of the one board line. In lines are so much easier to use IMO.
Need to get the lures off to the side as our lines are sometimes 200 yards out for the sensitive big Rainbow Trout this time of year near surface. As the boat goes down its path trolling at 4 km per hour the fish scoot off to the side. By having a planer board off to the sides you stand a better chance of a hook up with larger rainbows.
What is an " in line " planer?

Does it pull the hook about a hundred feet off to the side of the boat?
Old 04-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks. That's what I thought. Those yellow Off Shore ones looks like good stuff. I've been looking at buying a couple to try out. Getting outside the prop wash is ideal. I've always wanted something like that but never studied it much.

I see the online board does not release from the line. In that case if you hook up with a ten or 15 pound fighting Rainbow do you have a chance with that extra weight?

Or does it disconnect? Like a downrigger?
Old 04-13-2017, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
I used to run a separate line for the board with a release on the back with the fishing line through it. Fish bit, line released, and once the fish was caught and landed I then retrieved the board to re-clip the fishing line. Sort of the same idea as a downrigger, one line to the ball, and the fishing line through the release. Retrieve the ball to re-set the line after fish is caught.
Some just use extra shower curtain clips and release pins. Just keep sending them down the planer rope so no need to retrieve the board each time. They just pile up on the end near the board.

My board was only 40 bucks to build. Cheap and based on the Chesapeake bay style for tougher conditions.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I see the online board does not release from the line. In that case if you hook up with a ten or 15 pound fighting Rainbow do you have a chance with that extra weight?

Or does it disconnect? Like a downrigger?
They do not disconnect, which is good. Otherwise you would need to circle around and get them again. My experience has been that when you get "hooked up" and start reeling in, the back of the board goes down (due to the fish pulling) and the front of the board pops up out of the water (due to you reeling) so the board no longer pulls to the side. They tend to "waterski" back to the boat as you reel. The only hiccup in the system is popping the clips to release the board from your line once it gets to the boat.

You can run inline boards as far from the boat as you like. Simply run your lure as far back as you want it to be, clip the board on your line, and let the line out as far as you want it away from the boat. You can run a few boards per side (line regulations permitting) and stagger the distance. Say outside one at 80 ft, one at 50, and one at 30. Tough part of this set up is if you catch something on the 80 ft you need to move the 50 and 30's out of the way to avoid tangles.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-13-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Tough part of this set up is if you catch something on the 80 ft you need to move the 50 and 30's out of the way to avoid tangles.

SS
Turn your boat slightly the opposition direction as the fish is on,, it will pull that board with the fish on farther back, and generally you don't have too move any other boards out of the way.. we fish up to 8 boards at a time on my boat.

Personally I wouldn't use inline boards for rainbows,, they just fight too crazy, you will lose a lot of fish!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Need to get the lures off to the side as our lines are sometimes 200 yards out for the sensitive big Rainbow Trout this time of year near surface. As the boat goes down its path trolling at 4 km per hour the fish scoot off to the side. By having a planer board off to the sides you stand a better chance of a hook up with larger rainbows.
What is an " in line " planer?

Does it pull the hook about a hundred feet off to the side of the boat?
If this is your main target then the mast system and boards should serve you well.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:06 PM

Inlines attach to your fishing line. Mast boards attach to separate line.

I have inlines of various makes (Offshore and Church Tackle + a couple others) and sizes from the TX6 to TX44's. TX44s will pull Dypsys or up to about 1 pound weight.

Also have Riviera double, Walker double and Big Jon Otterboats for my Berts 6' dual reel planer board mast.
Bought a bunch of releases for this year and made some too(hope they work).

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 04-13-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:

There are many days, particularly when targeting rainbows, where NOTHING ELSE will catch a fish.

So yes, 100%, you will catch more fish having another option to how you present your offering.

I've had to send my planners out like 100 feet out or more just to avoid the shy rainbows when they are near surface on a clam day and seem to spook easily.

I've also had to send out 200-300 feet of line out behind my boards (PLUS the 100 feet or more that send them out sideways) just to catch these fish on some days.

I have the small boards on my boat at all times. They are also awesome to bomb drag the shallows with a surface spinning blade looking for big pike in early season.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
I use lightweight paracord for the line and a Scotty Planner board release - see link.

https://www.amazon.com/SCOTTY-Power-.../dp/B001YS6STE
Ended up buying some 5 mm static mountain climbing line good for 1035 pounds. While there I noticed the dog bone straps for four bucks so will try a couple of those with the normal downrigger style clothespin release attached to the dog bone. The dog bone slides like on ice down that mountain climbing line.

I bought a couple just to try out. That way when one releases I don't need to pull the board in. Just send another one down the line from a prestrung set up held back by a brass connect by the roof of the boat.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Banned

Default The 40 dollar board per the plans first post works great

33 meters line. 1.5 mph. 30 deg off starboard. Now to catch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1177.jpg (35.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 04-16-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Great pic. Looks like Mara lake?
Old 04-16-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I'm jealous - you better show us some fish so we can live vicariously through you !!!

If you are not getting bites, and looking for Rainbows - speed it up. 1.5mph is great for lakers, usually slow for bows - but you might get a few bulls.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Banned

Default No Fish Even at 4 km per hour

Nothing biting today here on Skaha. Put a flag on the planer board. Well at least the new pup is enjoying being on the lake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1374.jpg (21.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1405.jpg (26.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1409.jpg (26.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Mangosteen; 04-20-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
WHOA THERE ... You might just be doing it wrong ..... and hence .... the pain in the butt it would be to use the way you described it.

You don't need to retrieve the planner board and pull it in. Once a fish takes your main line and separates/snaps off the release the release which is on a curtain ring thingy it (the ring and release) just slides all the way down to the board (and stays there until the end of the day.

That's why they sell multi packs of releases.

When you are finished fighting and landing that fish you put on a new release and send her down the planner board line.

At the end of the day, if you land 4 fish and miss 3 that trip your release, you will have 7 rings/releases waiting for you at the board at the end of the day.

You only put your board out once (at the beginning of the day) and only pull it in once (at the end of the day).

If you are pulling and yanking it in and out every time that would be lots of work.

In my opinion ....

Big planner boards are far less work compared to inline boards, can be sent out further, ride closer to the side of the boat compared to back, can take bigger waves, can pull bigger lures, are easier to use all day (read above) and are capable of running multiple fishing lines down one planner board line (stacking).

They also don't need to be removed while a fish is on the line, or alternately, set up to run down the line to a stop which may interfere with the fish or the fight.

Given an option - using full sized boards has all the advantages. That's probably why most guys that use boards a lot, use big boards.

Here's a bucket of 50 of them .....

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...Fd64wAodJkwPuw

Last edited by EZM; 04-20-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=EZM;3521970]WHOA THERE ... You might just be doing it wrong ..... and hence .... the pain in the butt it would be to use the way you described it.

You don't need to retrieve the planner board and pull it in. Once a fish takes your main line and separates/snaps off the release the release which is on a curtain ring thingy it (the ring and release) just slides all the way down to the board (and stays there until the end of the day.

That's why they sell multi packs of releases.

When you are finished fighting and landing that fish you put on a new release and send her down the planner board line.

At the end of the day, if you land 4 fish and miss 3 that trip your release, you will have 7 rings/releases waiting for you at the board at the end of the day.

You only put your board out once (at the beginning of the day) and only pull it in once (at the end of the day).

If you are pulling and yanking it in and out every time that would be lots of work.

In my opinion ....

Big planner boards are far less work compared to inline boards, can be sent out further, ride closer to the side of the boat compared to back, can take bigger waves, can pull bigger lures, are easier to use all day (read above) and are capable of running multiple fishing lines down one planner board line (stacking).

They also don't need to be removed while a fish is on the line, or alternately, set up to run down the line to a stop which may interfere with the fish or the fight.

Given an option - using full sized boards has all the advantages. That's probably why most guys that use boards a lot, use big boards.

Here's a bucket of 50 of them .....

Doing it wrong.......retrieving it 6 or 7 times is a lot of work? lol carry on
Old 04-21-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Doing it wrong.......retrieving it 6 or 7 times is a lot of work? lol carry on
Fill your boots then .... if you want to fight pulling in a larger planner board, 100-200 feet on the outside of your boat while moving forward you are going to work, possibly tangle and wreck a mast/reel or board. At least you don't have to re-set all your other gear.

You realise these big boards pull really really hard and will easily pull or steer a 18 to 20 ft boat if you only have one out on one side.

On the other hand, I guess you can stop everything and pull it in and carry on after re connecting, letting the line out, and re-starting the boat to reset you troll hey - have at er'

Just seems pretty ridiculous doesn't it?

You are going to loose 5-10 minutes minimum every time you do that. Do that a dozen times and whiz away an hour and a half if you like. Your choice.

Why wouldn't an intelligent guy like yourself just do it properly and logically like the thousands of other guys out there that are doing it correctly???

Leave the board out and planner line out, keep moving, and send another hanger and release down the line ...... takes seconds.

You can't tell me the thousands of guys out there running big water with boards are all doing it wrong can you? I don't ever recall EVER seeing anyone retrieve a board every time you trip a hit.

You can't rationalise this argument. Sorry. Makes no sense. Leave the board out and send another hanger and release down the line. Easy Peasy.

Last edited by EZM; 04-21-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:02 AM
Banned

Default 39.2 degrees

Quote:
I'm jealous - you better show us some fish so we can live vicariously through you !!!

If you are not getting bites, and looking for Rainbows - speed it up. 1.5mph is great for lakers, usually slow for bows - but you might get a few bulls.
This last week the colder water on the surface that used to be at 38.1 deg F warmed up above 39.2 deg and sunk towards the bottom of the lake so the spring turnover has initiated. Funny how any water warmer than 39.2 degrees is actually denser than the colder water below 39.2 degrees F.

Lake is in turmoil for the moment so rotten fishing.

Now to wait about a week for that thermocline layering to develop and troll with the board. With only one board out I do not notice much pulling to one side as the rope is attached about two feet behind the driver up high on a very very deep vee twenty footer.
Multiple sends down the line is the way to go. I use the dogbones from a mountain climbing shop for that. No metal. Smooth slide. Never retrieve the board.

The triple panel planing board was so easy to make and the site on the first post is from rough water country on the eastern seaboard.

I just used plywood. 3/4 inch thick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1423.jpg (31.8 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Mangosteen; 04-22-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
This last week the colder water on the surface that used to be at 38.1 deg F warmed up above 39.2 deg and sunk towards the bottom of the lake so the spring turnover has initiated. Funny how any water warmer than 39.2 degrees is actually denser than the colder water below 39.2 degrees F.

Lake is in turmoil for the moment so rotten fishing.

Now to wait about a week for that thermocline layering to develop and troll with the board. With only one board out I do not notice much pulling to one side as the rope is attached about two feet behind the driver up high on a very very deep vee twenty footer.
Multiple sends down the line is the way to go. I use the dogbones from a mountain climbing shop for that. No metal. Smooth slide. Never retrieve the board.

The triple panel planing board was so easy to make and the site on the first post is from rough water country on the eastern seaboard.

I just used plywood. 3/4 inch thick.
Great looking boards ....... I'm making up a "medium sized" set up here this weekend - going to Home depot to grab some 5/4" x 6" cedar in a radius edge. (basically deck boards).

On your boards - I noticed (looks like) the trailing end of each board is in line instead of staggered and, hard to tell, but looks like instead of staggering the most inside board (closest to boat) is simply shorter.

They look great and would be easier to store with that design. I would be curious to see how much that makes a difference between the board dragging more away from the boat versus being towed behind.

My old set of boards is staggered heavily - and seems to pull right alongside the boat (instead of being back further) but they take up too much space, are hard to store, and pull too hard for my liking.

I might try a little less of a stagger on this medium sized set. See what happens.

Cool boards - it's given me some ideas.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:35 PM

I use a large double board system. I have a light chain going down about 6" on the front of each board. That way I can clip my main tow line to the board in different positions depending on the wave height and how I want the boards to run. That way I can either have them running smooth, or I can have them jumping in the waves. Depending on where I hook my clip to the chain. The farther up the chain I hook it the more the board pulls down into the water. It does that for a few seconds then jumps up out of the water and pulls the bucktail forward when it jumps. (It acts like when you are trolling and holding your rod and you give your rod a tug).

I am also one of those 1000 guys EZM was talking about. I put the boards out in the morning and leave the boards out until the end of the day. I use the shower curtain and planer board clip system. As described above. It is a good thing to end up with a bunch of clips at the end of your planer boards. That means you had a good day, and got some bites and some fish.

I also run my bucktails at least 100 to 300 feet back. Usually some where in between. depending on the conditions. Farther back for calmer conditions. Closer when it is rougher water.

Here's a few pictures of the boards I run and some of the bucktails that I tie to run behind them. Generally I run bucktails out on my boards. However I know some guys run an Apex or a crankbait out depending on the species they are targeting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2941.JPG (149.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5044.jpg (65.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5571.JPG (147.0 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5701.JPG (149.5 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5703.JPG (140.1 KB, 160 views)
Old 04-23-2017, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Great looking boards ....... I'm making up a "medium sized" set up here this weekend - going to Home depot to grab some 5/4" x 6" cedar in a radius edge. (basically deck boards).

On your boards - I noticed (looks like) the trailing end of each board is in line instead of staggered and, hard to tell, but looks like instead of staggering the most inside board (closest to boat) is simply shorter.

They look great and would be easier to store with that design. I would be curious to see how much that makes a difference between the board dragging more away from the boat versus being towed behind.

My old set of boards is staggered heavily - and seems to pull right alongside the boat (instead of being back further) but they take up too much space, are hard to store, and pull too hard for my liking.

I might try a little less of a stagger on this medium sized set. See what happens.

Cool boards - it's given me some ideas.
Your correct. The back end of my boards are perfectly in line. No staggering like on the front. I placed several holes for the tie up but only tried the second hole so far. Maybe by moving back to the next hold the planer might be more aggressive abeam.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:31 AM

I build a prototype this weekend to test some new geometry .... I'm trying to get a mid sized board - this one is 17" long and cut from a 1" x 6" cedar board and I used stainless hardware and threaded rods. (actual board is 7/8" and roughly 5 1/2")

I am trying a 45 degree angle, 30 degree runner bevel with the trailing edge left at 90 degrees both ways.

The 10.25" inside to inside measurement lines up the 45 degree angle pretty close if I stagger them all the way back like I did there.

These mid sized board should, "in theory" be optimized to pull hard and away out to the side of the boat.

The harder they pull, the tighter the line, and the better they seem to run alongside (instead of behind) the boat.

I put wing nuts on the rod on one side because what I want to try is opening up the outboard runner like maybe a 1/4" wider (and tightening the back rod) in the leading edge to see if that does anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0073_zpsbht1i42r.jpg (80.2 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by EZM; 04-26-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:42 AM

Here another angle (yes it needs more paint ... I ran out).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0070_zpsqcbdqiym.jpg (74.3 KB, 32 views)