Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-15-2017, 07:04 PM

Default Starter bow for 9 year old daughter

My 9 year old daughter has showed interest in starting to shoot archery with me and I told her if she saved up half the money I would buy her a bow. Now my question is what would be the best route to take. Should she start with a recurve or a compound?

Last edited by kw12; 04-15-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:14 PM

Diamond infinite edge pro, or bowtech fuel. Both of these bows will grow with her as she gets older. The bowtech has a better cam system than the diamond. It also has a higher price tag. These bows are able to drop quite low in both draw length, and draw weight. there are other great youth compound bows on the market as well. The diamond prism is a lighter bow that would be better if your daughter is not very big. But it is still going to go up high enough in poundage that she can hunt with it legally once she reaches 12, if you decide to go that route.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
My 9 year old daughter has showed interest in starting to shoot archery with me and I told her if she saved up half the money I would buy her a bow. Now my question is what would be the best route to take. Should she start with a recurve or a compound?
Might be a good idea to purchase a recurve for her first to make sure the interest is going to last. Everybody seems to have a lot more fun shooting a recurve! Way less expectations as close is good! I'm a compound shooter but wish I had started with a recurve when I picked up my first bow.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:55 PM

Bring her into the shop and let her try a few. Chances are the more comfortable she is with what she shooting the more she will continue. The Diamond Prism goes from 5-55lbs, the Infinite Edge Pro would work too. There are a handful of junior bows to try. I love recurves as well however when the are ready for a higher poundage you have to replace the limbs and possibly the riser if she's starting out quite small. Happy shooting!
Old 04-16-2017, 03:07 PM

Second on Recurve Bow idea.

Please make sure she can "very comfortably" pull it back with ease."

I'm doing the 35 lb R Curve a young fellow 13 ish last week had a small tad too much bow too pull back little lone hold.

It darn near took the fun out of it for him,,, next time I see this at a pro range, I'm going too foot the bill on asking at no cost to the patents a chance for the young person too try a smaller fraction poundage bow "if they would like too that is..."

NO and never any disrespect too parents, bow shop owner, or Any-one as starting up archery is nice to start out affordable an "ALWAYS"fun.

I was very very thrilled too See Richard help this young lad at getting up too speed first with some crappy shooting,,, then he got the young fellow too see where & hoe too hold the bow for shooting the target.

Richard kept up the idea of fun the whole time, this darn idea I forgot, but I now remember looking back loooooooooong ago that this is where I started out with a $20 bow and a hand full of quality frugal priced arrows.

Made my own quiver out of my pops old work boots and borrowed 3 long tracks from my Ma that became bow sights.

My target back then was a big box of rages I shot in the gradge and back yard.

Now after 33 years I'm releaning Recurve Bow once again.

Good times ahead for middle age Don.
Sure glad too be back where it all started so many days gone by.

Big thanks today too Ma & Pops for getting me going at this fun sport & out door activity.

About a 1000 arrows shoot since March.

Good on you as our youngers get a chance to find out if it's something they would like to try.

PS: after some arrows go a stray over a month, then "ask them if they would like too pop some balloons.

Best dang fun I've had in many a years.

Even us crappy older shooters enjoy bringing out the kid inside. LOL

Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 04-16-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the reply don! After doing some research and checking out some different bows I decided to go the cheap route to make sure she enjoys it and the interest is there. I picked up a bear scout and took her out to the field yesterday and started teacher her the basic. She loved every minute of it and picked up on it quite quick. A couple hours in and she was hitting the target dead centre. If she keeps it up this summer and continues to show interest I will upgrade her next year to a compound. Thanks for the reply's guys.