Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-17-2017, 07:22 PM

Default Need advice on next purchase.

Need some help deciding on my next big game hunting rifle. Needs to be stainless barrel (action can be chromoly) and synthetic stock. Brand needs to be accurate, repeatable and reliable. I have done quite a bit looking around and learning but now its time to decide just want to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Not too concerned with calibre, there are a lot of calibre that do what I need it to do. More interested in make/model of rifle/stock recommendations over cartridge.

Budget is $3000. Below are options that I have thought of, narrowed down to... am I missing anything?

-Cooper, Jackson Game hunter ($3000ish)
-Tikka, T3x stainless with a McMillan Stock ($2000ish)
-Sako, 85 with McMillan Stock ($3000)
-Christensen Arms, Mesa (new model from them, $2000)

I think custom options are out of my price range.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2017, 07:46 PM
Banned

Kimber 85 Adirondack or Mountain Ascent

And Korth is second to none FWIH, when it comes to customer service...

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 04-17-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:55 PM

The McMillan will be more than that....I just checked into one and it was $1200 for an Edge fill one.

Make sure you go handle a Kimber...not one that would ever be on my list for various reasons
Old 04-17-2017, 08:02 PM

If its just a hunting rifle that you want to pack through the bush i would just buy a Tikka T3X in a stainless synthetic chambered in something between 6.5x55 and 300wm. Then i would put a good quality scope leupold, swaro or zeiss on it. I would then take the $400 you have left over and buy some reloading components.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Banned

Default I'm waiting for my left-hand version to come in the mail...

And BTW, if your budget is $3000... Does that include optics ?

I'll be the first to say, Savage make the rifle you're looking for too. For far less than the options you listed.

And with high-quality glass, would shoot just about as good as the others off a bench.

(just let me put my Nomex suit on)

Model 16 FCSS Weather Warrior

Old 04-17-2017, 08:08 PM

Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker or Sako 85 Finnlight. Depending on your opinion of the magazine latch system. I preferred the X-Bolt. Both have the very nice three lug short bolt open and have a button to open the bolt which locks shut on safe. Tikka cannot be opened without safety moved to fire.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
The McMillan will be more than that....I just checked into one and it was $1200 for an Edge fill one.

Make sure you go handle a Kimber...not one that would ever be on my list for various reasons
I can get a Sako for just under $2000 and a McMillan Hunter (inlet ready) for around $875 from Bighorn Sales. He said its a drop in. What is Edge fill? Is that more money and is it worth it? I don't know all the details about the McMillans, I just know when I handled them I liked them.

I handled a Kimber Ascent a few weeks ago...didn't like it.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I can get a Sako for just under $2000 and a McMillan Hunter (inlet ready) for around $875 from Bighorn Sales. He said its a drop in. What is Edge fill? Is that more money and is it worth it? I don't know all the details about the McMillans, I just know when I handled them I liked them.

I handled a Kimber Ascent a few weeks ago...didn't like it.
The McMillans are usually a drop in, and may not even need bedding. Ones I've used on my sako rifles shot well with no bedding. The Edge fill is their lightweight stock...it is more money.

A new Sako right now for under 2000 is a deal...seems going rate is more around 2100-2300 plus tax
Old 04-17-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
And BTW, if your budget is $3000... Does that include optics ?

I'll be the first to say, Savage make the rifle you're looking for too. For far less than the options you listed.

And with high-quality glass, would shoot just about as good as the others off a bench.

(just let me put my Nomex suit on)

Model 16 FCSS Weather Warrior

$3000 is just for rifle. Already have optics
Old 04-17-2017, 08:19 PM

I'm a Sako guy so I'm bias towards them...just a personal preference
Old 04-17-2017, 08:21 PM

I'll throw a vote out for the Cooper, I love my Excalibur in 280 rem. the Excalibur can be had in all stainless but nothing wrong with the Jackson hunter. I'd get it in 6.5-284 if I could afford another.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Need some help deciding on my next big game hunting rifle. Needs to be stainless barrel (action can be chromoly) and synthetic stock. Brand needs to be accurate, repeatable and reliable. I have done quite a bit looking around and learning but now its time to decide just want to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Not too concerned with calibre, there are a lot of calibre that do what I need it to do. More interested in make/model of rifle/stock recommendations over cartridge.

Budget is $3000. Below are options that I have thought of, narrowed down to... am I missing anything?

Thanks
I should have included my hunting style. I mainly hunt Northern Alberta bush and cutlines. I spend a lot of time walking and sit hunting and sometimes using a quad. I am not a mountain hunter so overweight of the rifle isn't overly important. Would like total weight of my scope rifle to be around 7 to 8.5 pounds but well balanced and easy to shoulder
Old 04-17-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I should have included my hunting style. I mainly hunt Northern Alberta bush and cutlines. I spend a lot of time walking and sit hunting and sometimes using a quad. I am not a mountain hunter so overweight of the rifle isn't overly important. Would like total weight of my scope rifle to be around 7 to 8.5 pounds but well balanced and easy to shoulder
Now that you say how you hunt, and knowing by your previous threads that you enjoy nice guns, I would be calling up Clay at Prophet River and getting a Cooper Jackson Hunter with a stainless barrel. I have had Jackson Hunter, Jackson Game, and Classics. I liked the Hunter with stainless barrel the most, largely because you wouldn't have to be paranoid about beating up a gorgeous wood stock like I always was. That's my two cents.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:25 PM

Default Weatherby backcountry

I bought a kimber mountain accent thinking it would be an awesome all round rifle in 280ai it was the worst shooting rifle I've ever owned. I now own a custom model seven in 7mm saum and was right around 3000 completed corlanes did the work and man this thing drives nails. Weatherby backcountry was my latest buy in 300wby man for the money their a beautiful rifle. Lots of choices out there for your budget
Old 04-17-2017, 09:51 PM

Kimber, cooper, sako, or even nosler! You seem to have the brands already picked, you just need to make your decision! There is a nice nosler on sale at P&d here in Edmonton, marked down to $2000 from $2500, only thing, is that it's chambered in 300 wsm!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:53 PM

And as Fowlow mentioned, that Weatherby Backcountry for literally half the price will do the same thing as the Cooper, and leave you enough money to get yourself a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 with a Leupold 2-7 scope for bears
Old 04-17-2017, 10:06 PM
Banned

Cooper, sorry I ain't gonna suggest some piece of garbage that wasn't even on the list ( sounds like there's some salesmen on here)
Old 04-17-2017, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

Thanks

Not a bad list,maybe look at savage,remington,winchester and cz?

Optics will be your eyes and light.

I favor nikon or bushnell today.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:19 PM

Default Wildbill

Wildbill if you took the time to read his post it said did he miss anything ?? I think your the one that missed something. Always gotta be that one guy
Old 04-17-2017, 10:22 PM

At $3g you are in custom territory, not top end target stuff but many good possibilities for a hunting rifle. If you just don't want to go custom...go feel up as many rifles as you can and pick the one you don't want to put down.

The mesa is friggen beautiful, and has most of what you would want in a custom. That would be my pick out of your list. BUT, and it might be a big one if you like bergers or ELDs...2.85 mag length for short action. I use ttsx which like a jump, so if it handles as nice as it looks I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
$3000 is just for rifle. Already have optics
X2 you will have a tough time finding a rifle that shoots as well as a savage for the price. My go to hunting rifle is a stainless savage in .308.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotebutcher View Post
X2 you will have a tough time finding a rifle that shoots as well as a savage for the price. My go to hunting rifle is a stainless savage in .308.
Not to be rude, but guys considering Coopers and Christensen don't often end up with Savages. Don't get me wrong, they are good and accurate rifles for the money, and I have owned a few, but I'm just being honest.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Not to be rude, but guys considering Coopers and Christensen don't often end up with Savages. Don't get me wrong, they are good and accurate rifles for the money, and I have owned a few, but I'm just being honest.
Exactly! If they wanted a flimsy plastic stock, and an accutrigger, they would not even be considering Cooper or McMillan stocks.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
My vote is for a Tikka T3x, plenty of budget to customize, or a Sako 85. I'd consider shooting both with the factory stock first, before spending money replacing them. McMillan's have a great rep if you decide to go that way. Have a look at the Fierce rifles as well. If you're sure you want to replace it, selling the original stock as a brand new factory take-off will probably get you a little more for it.

I have a Fierce 7mm and a Tikka 243 for my hunting rifles and am very pleased with both. I'd love to have a Blaser or a NULA someday, but is just too much money even if the budget allowed. As much as I like my Fierce, I find that above around $1000 rifles have that high-quality, solid feel and are generally reliable and accurate (individual models and rifles may vary). So, make sure what you're spending above that is getting you something that's worth it to you. Like cars, the higher you go, the proportionally less you get for your money. For some people, its worth it, but it may or may not be to you.

FWIW, if I end up buying another rifle it'll probably be a Tikka T3x, but an outside chance it'll be a Sako. Rifles like Savages, Ruger American's etc shoot so accurately and reliably these days that if you're spending $3000 it's mostly for the intangibles. Not saying there's not a difference, just that its not a functional difference for me. Tikka/Sako or similar hit a sweet spot for quality and price in my mind.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:12 AM

Get a Weatherby Vanguard, SS.
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/29822/...t-action-rifle

Invest in a trigger, and top end optics.

Use the money you saved in shooting and or load development, and a nice night on the town with the Mrs.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-18-2017, 09:15 AM

Don't forget to check out the both Sako A7s! The roughtech pro has some nice features at a descent price point!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

Exactly! If they wanted a flimsy plastic stock, and an accutrigger, they would not even be considering Cooper or McMillan stocks.
And if guys wanted to listen to a know-it-all, and be talked down to like some idiot off the street... Well, you know the rest. Exactly.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
And if guys wanted to listen to a know-it-all, and be talked down to like some idiot off the street... Well, you know the rest. Exactly.

The OP listed options, and those options indicate to me that he has a good idea of what he wants, and what he wants to spend, and I don't see anyone talking down to him , or treating him like some idiot off of the street, unless of course, you consider suggesting a Savage, when he wants a much higher end rifle, talking down to him.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:58 PM

Not interested in a Savage, few things I don't like about them.

Kimbers don't do it for me either

The Nosler at PnD looks good but don't want a 300WSM

Weatherby Back Country or Vanguard are an option, similar to a Tikka IMO with a better stock. My buddy has one, which I have handled and its not a bad rifle. Probably won't want "the cut" though.

Fierce peaked my interest, but have heard mixed reviews about them.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Banned

Have I got a deal for you. Rmef Rem 700 xcr2 in a 300 rum.