Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2017, 08:19 AM

Next time you are in farm country try to count how many little plastic boxes without a frame are on the gravel country roads. A good pick-up is only vehicle that will handle the rutted roads especially with foot of snow on them. Some of the country roads are not even passable this spring with a pick-up without 4 wheel drive.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:15 AM

Gravel is rough on everything and would rather beat up an econobox vs a pricy grocery-getter truck. Especially if you're talking 5 miles of well maintained gravel road that's not rutted or washboarded all to hell and gets cleared decently afters storm etc. Just try to find a tire that won't kick up too many rocks for the summer and some rockguards/mudflaps and you are good to go.

Low center of gravity, FWD traction, and winter tires, will keep you out of the ditch better than the invincible idiots blasting down the road in farm plated 4x4's. I drive a newer AWD Escape for work and do tons of gravel and I have been quite impressed as well if a compromise is in order.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:19 AM

Black ice and snow drifts will be a issue. Buy the best winter tires you can afford, stud them too. Lots of mini SUV's too, like escapes or Rav that get 30 mpg and have 4x4 or awd.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren008 View Post
idiots blasting down the road in farm plated 4x4's.
Always knew I was a problem in the city but now I learn I'm the problem in my back yard. Thanks for pointing that out as it makes it easier to know who to give access to land easier.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:42 AM

As said gravel destroys any vehicle given time and speed of driving.
Father in law has a country mechanic shop. Mini vans and cars life span on the country roads is not high.
To much plastic and low ride height.
We debated the same issue your having over and over.
We bought a smaller engine pickup for running around.
Smaller SUVs are a better bet than a car IMO.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:59 AM

Whatever you buy, I'd go used. Nothing like spending probably $30k+ on a small SUV or $45k+ for a fullsize SUV/truck, only to have it worth maybe half after four years of driving on gravel. Buy something cheap, used, run it into the ground and then get something else. No sense in buying a pristine used vehicle just to beat the crap out of and have gravel rash everywhere. Seems like an utter financial waste.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:09 PM

Just replaced the ball joints in my highway driven F250 ... 41,000kms. Maybe not a good choice for gravel?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:15 PM

I think you can live with smaller, but for heaven's sake get an AWD or 4wd. I decided a while ago to never buy anything else, and I don't even live in the country. I wouldn't send my wife out on bad unplowed roads in bad weather in a corolla. Go for a small SUV with at least reasonable ground clearance.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Next time you are in farm country try to count how many little plastic boxes without a frame are on the gravel country roads. A good pick-up is only vehicle that will handle the rutted roads especially with foot of snow on them. Some of the country roads are not even passable this spring with a pick-up without 4 wheel drive.
Lots of "little plastic boxes without a frame" on the gravel country roads of Edmonton. That's where the REAL potholes live, after all!
Old 04-28-2017, 01:08 PM

Of course you could always turn to an old rural Saskatchewan favourite... a Crown Vic with running boards. LOL
Old 04-28-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Well, I'm gonna go on a limb, and recommend a subaru.

This is what they were made for, yes, you'll get rock chips (that's what mudflaps/clear bra are for), but any subaru will stay together much longer than most other cars on gravel roads.

I've put mine thru hell (gravel at much higher speeds) and it still keeps on ticking. Just need to keep up with regular maintenance.
X2
I drove a few older Toyota Corollas for many years as though they were rally cars on Alberta gravel. They were great. If I was going to do it again I would go with a Subaru
Old 04-28-2017, 02:43 PM

I can't speak for it's longevity, but I can say the Subaru Outback handles gravel extremely well at any reasonable speed. Better than most 1/2 ton trucks I've driven.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:44 PM

Old 04-28-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headdamage View Post
I was just thinking of how many "killer bees" were put through crap and some pretty challenging road.

I'm a truck guy, but wouldn't have an issue blasting a mid 90's Civic through some drifts and down gravel roads.

I do like 4x4 though, and got 32 mpg with a Sidekick on larger tires.

If I was looking for something small and fuel efficient, there are a number of small AWD cars, or mini Utes I would consider.

Good "grip" tires for mud and deep snow rather than "smoothy" tires. And leave the K&N on the shelf; no power increase, and they have been shown to filter less than a good paper element.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 04-28-2017, 07:20 PM

Default car

Thanks again for all the insight into our decision. We are leaning toward a used Mazda3 for the FWD, good fuel mileage and good reviews in regards to reliability. As I mentioned earlier I had a '78 Honda Civic with FWD and with good tires it was amazing in the snow!

In our area we do have fairly decent gravel roads. Even with all the recent rain and the spring thaw the roads have held up fairly well. Not much for ruts and they drain quite fast so not much for potholes, no worse than in town anyways!

We do have a '95 Dodge 3500 4x4 truck that we have as reliable farm truck if there is a big winter storm the wife can hop in it to drive to work. I certainly wouldn't have the car as her only means of transportation.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Of course you could always turn to an old rural Saskatchewan favourite... a Crown Vic with running boards. LOL
Old 04-29-2017, 10:27 AM

Subarus are specifically built for use on gravel. A good used one would be a pretty good choice. The Toyota Avalon would be my second choice. Next would be a 3 series BMW rigged with their rally package suspension.

Bigger cars work better on gravel and stand up better to hitting deer and the like. Plus they tend to have more clearance. The right tires, mud flaps and rock prtection in the right places all help.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:26 PM

farmer, i had a saturn car back in the day, travelled 30 miles a day on gravel. it was junk when it had 150km on it in three seasons. i used the best tires available at that time, they had a free replacement guarantee and i took true advantage of that.
im now more familiar with subaru products and would highly recommend them, with premium winter tires it will create a huge confidence builder. five miles isnt too bad, just slow down (like no faster than 15 mph when on gravel) if you want it too last. i wouldnt waste a nickel on undercoat most of these vehicles are plastic lined already, spend the same amount in mudflaps, rock deflectors so much so that it would look hideous.

bottom line, expect to replace a 'disposable' car it in a few years and get nothing for it. spend a bit more, get a bit more, youll get multiple paybacks,

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-30-2017, 12:36 AM

For the price of a new truck you can buy a nice car and a beater truck or SUV with 4x4 for the times you actually will need it. My recommendation buy a car your wife likes and keep your current truck as a back up if the roads get snowed in.

Edit: I see thats exactly what your going to do.

Last edited by raab; 04-30-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:12 AM

another strong vote for a subaru with good tires and mud flaps.
My all time favorite was a volvo 142. those cars could fly on gravel, due to the suspension.
If you do go the mazda 3 or 5 route, make sure to get it undercoated, mazdas are pretty well always rusting after 5 plus years. They are great driving cars though.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
farmer, i had a saturn car back in the day, travelled 30 miles a day on gravel. it was junk when it had 150km on it in three seasons. i used the best tires available at that time, they had a free replacement guarantee and i took true advantage of that.
im now more familiar with subaru products and would highly recommend them, with premium winter tires it will create a huge confidence builder. five miles isnt too bad, just slow down (like no faster than 15 mph when on gravel) if you want it too last. i wouldnt waste a nickel on undercoat most of these vehicles are plastic lined already, spend the same amount in mudflaps, rock deflectors so much so that it would look hideous.

bottom line, expect to replace a 'disposable' car it in a few years and get nothing for it. spend a bit more, get a bit more, youll get multiple paybacks,
At 15 mph, that 12 minute round trip across the gravel will take 40 minutes. That's just painful. They are not made out of glass. It's also a good way to get rocked over the rest of the vehicle by people who don't know how to pass courteously over gravel.

Pureblood!
Old 04-30-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
another strong vote for a subaru with good tires and mud flaps.
My all time favorite was a volvo 142. those cars could fly on gravel, due to the suspension.
If you do go the mazda 3 or 5 route, make sure to get it undercoated, mazdas are pretty well always rusting after 5 plus years. They are great driving cars though.
I agree with Roger on the undercoating. Waste of money, is the nice term for it. Cars already come with undercoating.

If you want to take a few more steps though, you could add some extra from a roll on kit. Or spray rock guard from a can. The lower body could benefit from a heavy duty rock guard.

Keep the rocks out of the CV joints, and couple times a year spray a light oil underneath the car. Wax the body. And drive the Dickens out of it.

Pureblood!
Old 04-30-2017, 08:23 PM

If you spray the underside and the lower body panels with boxliner, that will make a major difference.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:02 PM

Subaru outback...Just bought one and took it down the old #1 hwy after the rain here in southern Alberta....4X4 were tearing up the roads and leaving big clay/mud balls in there windy tracks the Subaru had ZERO problem on any of the roads and 9" of clearance doesn't hurt either
Roads were a bit dryer after the 4x4's went thru but I was impressed with how the vehicle handled and fuel economy is good and well built vehicle over all.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.