Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 09:40 PM

Default The Crush with Lee and Tiffany Lease in Alberta

I just watched an episode of The Crush with Lee and Tiffany where Lee and a few of his friends were hunting mule deer in Alberta. This show is based out of Iowa. They mentioned multiple times on the show how they were leasing this land in Alberta and would be able to hunt it and manage the deer herd accordingly.

How is this not paid access? There were cows on the ranch, but I highly doubt they started their own Alberta cattle operation and were leasing a ranch to run cows. Looks to me like they were leasing land just to hunt on it and the rancher still had his own cows out there. Not sure if they bought an outfitter allocation as well because a few of his buddies used a rifle.

I understand there’s a lot of grey area in this matter, but this episode was just downright flaunting it in my opinion.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:58 PM

I know they hunted the knight ranch last yr. Lots of landowner tags ? Not sure how that works
Old 09-19-2020, 10:37 PM

Ask F&W.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-19-2020, 10:57 PM

I watched that episode as well and was wondering the same thing. I’m not sure of how this is working. My question is how did they get the tags issued? If they bought the allocations along with the lease of the ranch? It was somewhat stinky in my opinion.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:08 AM

I helped guide them in 2006 7 in Alberta ,they were looking for guides to hunter host them the next year, the outfit i was working for i think did this quite often ,American owned Alberta outfitter running it ,They were very nice people LEE and TIFF ,,But ****ty outfitters,
Old 09-20-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soab View Post
I know they hunted the knight ranch last yr. Lots of landowner tags ? Not sure how that works
Only landowners can use landowner tags. I have family that owns land down south and they get landowner tags, but I can’t go down there and shoot something using one of those tags. If I did there would be a large fine and a suspension in my near future.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:35 AM

If you’re a family member that is involved in the day to day operations of the farm, you can get a landowner tag transferred to you. The key is that you have to be involved in the operations.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:56 AM

Don’t have to be a family member, can be an employee. As long as you do some kind of farm related work.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:19 AM

As for Tiffany and Lee, I would not be surprised if they did lease the land off the landowners to run a hunting camp on. This is quite common practice for some outfitters. I know of two for sure that rent land off of farmers for the month of November for “business” purposes. However, if it’s lease land they’re renting, big no-no. Both parties could risk losing the land.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:33 AM
Banned

https://apos.ab.ca/Outfitters/BecomingAnOutfitter

Very simple
They have a business and one of the shareholders/officers is a Canadian citizen
They can then own allocations and be guides/outfitters/ and hunt here
I’m pretty sure they are not in the business of bringing others to hunt
They are doing this for their own enjoyment and for their show

They may call it a “lease” but they are just referencing the name that they are most familiar with. The term for the same thing may vary in different states or provinces
Leases in Colorado for example are for hunting permits
Old 09-20-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
https://apos.ab.ca/Outfitters/BecomingAnOutfitter

Very simple
They have a business and one of the shareholders/officers is a Canadian citizen
They can then own allocations and be guides/outfitters/ and hunt here
I’m pretty sure they are not in the business of bringing others to hunt
They are doing this for their own enjoyment and for their show

They may call it a “lease” but they are just referencing the name that they are most familiar with. The term for the same thing may vary in different states or provinces
Leases in Colorado for example are for hunting permits
Doesn’t matter what term you use. It’s paid access. They are renting/leasing the land during hunting season in order to have access to hunt it.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
Doesn’t matter what term you use. It’s paid access. They are renting/leasing the land during hunting season in order to have access to hunt it.
Who says they paid anything?
A lease in a lot of states is a term used to describe where you are allowed to hunt
On private land
We call it permission
Do you ever think they are using the terms that a minority of their viewers would be able to relate with?
Old 09-20-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotecaller View Post
If you’re a family member that is involved in the day to day operations of the farm, you can get a landowner tag transferred to you. The key is that you have to be involved in the operations.
And only one tag is given out.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-20-2020, 11:01 AM

They could be part of a lease

Then again, Americans use words that upgrade the actual fact

For instance:

Americans say they own a "ranch" when they actually own 5 acres

They call hills "mountains"

They call a 3x4 whitetail a hand delivered gift from Jesus

Americans embellish. Id take what Lee said with a grain of salt
Old 09-20-2020, 02:59 PM

My guess is they have bought the hunts for the next few years. From my understanding I think the outfitter only has a 2-3 licenses. Last I’ve heard anyways
Old 09-20-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
They call a 3x4 whitetail a hand delivered gift from Jesus
Lol. That is true.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
And only one tag is given out.
Is it not 1 per quarter ? Or one per title ?
Old 09-20-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soab View Post
Is it not 1 per quarter ? Or one per title ?
One per title
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-20-2020, 08:28 PM

They didn't lease anything. That term is used wrong here in Canada. They are simply buying the tags the next however many years of the outfitters on thousands of acres of land inaccessible to 99 percent of Alberta Residents. No different than what Drury's do in the other part of Southern Alberta. I really don't think they are doing much "management" as claimed on the show! HAHA!!!! next show would need to show some does being shot. Good thing we have Lee and Tiffany to save our mule deer.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:30 PM

One per quarter. If family owns 6 quarters and has 6 family members or a combination of 6 hunters( family +employees) the can get 6 landowner permits. Each hunter can only hunt on their assigned quarter. If 3 hunters can hunt 2 quarters each.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:35 PM

Wow. I was slammed for saying “ money talks”. Not a whole lot of respect for those people or the shows they film.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:33 PM

Pure grease! At least this year no Americans will be filming in Canada!
Old 09-20-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
One per quarter. If family owns 6 quarters and has 6 family members or a combination of 6 hunters( family +employees) the can get 6 landowner permits. Each hunter can only hunt on their assigned quarter. If 3 hunters can hunt 2 quarters each.
Sorry that is incorrect, it is one licence per title, not per quarter.

From the 2020 draw booklet:
"There is a limit of one Landowner Special Licence application per Certificate of Title (or current Tax Notice). NOTE: If a person can qualify under
more than one circumstance described in items 3, 4 or 5 below, they may apply only for one of these three kinds of properties.
3. For lands that are not corporate owned, the applicant must own (have title to or have under agreement for sale by the Crown) a minimum of 1/4 section in a single parcel of 160 acres, consideration for road allowance or utility corridor given, or be an eligible person to whom the titleholder transfers this application opportunity. A title holder may transfer this application opportunity only to an individual who is directly involved in farming the land. This person might be a family member or employee of the person who farms the land, provided, in all cases, that the individual is directly involved in the day-to-day farming operations on the land.
4. In the case of land held under title by a business corporation of the above size category, the applicant may be a shareholder of the business. Similar to item 3 above, an individual who is directly involved in farming this land may apply if the application opportunity has been transferred to them by a person who is authorized to do so by the corporation.
5. In the case of joint land titles, only one of the joint title holders may submit an application for a Landowner Special Licence under a Certificate of Title (or current Tax Notice). However, if additional joint titles exist, each individual, if eligible, may apply under separate joint titles. The same rules apply to transferees as noted above.

DR
Old 09-21-2020, 01:34 AM

Geez, too confusing.
We sometimes get landowner tags, not this year, nor last year. We have 2 quarters.
But, the tags, either MD buck or cow elk, one per qt, can be taken on ether quarter as long as they are in the same WMU.
The quarters can be miles apart.
Because the tags are issued to a WMU, and not to a title.

Unless this has changed in the past 2 years.

TBark
Old 09-21-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Geez, too confusing.
We sometimes get landowner tags, not this year, nor last year. We have 2 quarters.
But, the tags, either MD buck or cow elk, one per qt, can be taken on ether quarter as long as they are in the same WMU.
The quarters can be miles apart.
Because the tags are issued to a WMU, and not to a title.

Unless this has changed in the past 2 years.

TBark
Just got my Antlerless Elk Landowners permit and it is issued to the WMU(s). They take a copy of my tax notice every year as well.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:42 AM

So who were they hunting with? I know the drury's hunt every year with three rivers and lee/tiffany use to as well.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
They didn't lease anything. That term is used wrong here in Canada. They are simply buying the tags the next however many years of the outfitters on thousands of acres of land inaccessible to 99 percent of Alberta Residents. No different than what Drury's do in the other part of Southern Alberta. I really don't think they are doing much "management" as claimed on the show! HAHA!!!! next show would need to show some does being shot. Good thing we have Lee and Tiffany to save our mule deer.
That potentially explains the licences.

What about the access to the private land?

One of these days, hopefully today, the underground and illegal access agreements between outfitters and landowners are held to legal standards by F&W.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-21-2020, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

One of these days, hopefully today, the underground and illegal access agreements between outfitters and landowners are held to legal standards by F&W.
Who says that anything illegal is taking place?
Why would a farmer in Alberta, not be able to relate with a farmer from Iowa or wherever they are from? And give an outfitter permission for them to hunt On his property?
I bet the farmer doesn’t mind a hot little blonde coming over to visit for a week or so every year.
I would also bet that he would rather have the blonde at his place instead of some yahoo who likes to eat coyotes
Old 09-21-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
Who says that anything illegal is taking place?
Why would a farmer in Alberta, not be able to relate with a farmer from Iowa or wherever they are from? And give an outfitter permission for them to hunt On his property?
I bet the farmer doesn’t mind a hot little blonde coming over to visit for a week or so every year.
I would also bet that he would rather have the blonde at his place instead of some yahoo who likes to eat coyotes
First off, the 2nd paragraph is a crap comment and very demeaning.
2nd, I watched this program a few weeks ago and listened carefully as they said that land has been leased and management of the mule deer were the focus. Nothing was said as to the object of lease. Was it land to run livestock or just to take pretty pictures. No, it was said that the management of the local herd of mule deer was the focus. In my opinion this is a paid access issue. Needs to be investigated. I made a call today to a person to voice my concern of this. There needs to be a product or service involved to make a lease of land or equipment viable. This is a blatant exchange of money for access to private property to hunt public animals. Lee and Tiffany need to be investigated and this issue resolved.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

As far as I know nothing illegal is taking place. But I could wrong on something. They are hunting the Deseret Ranches/knight Ranch in 108 and I believe in 130. The Deseret Ranch has 2 allocations in 108 and 4 in 130 I believe. The 2 allocations in 108 (where Lee killed his deer) are owned by the Deseret ranch and the outfitter/ranch boss runs the hunts on this land nearly all the time even though the tags would be good anywhere in 108. That said, there is no trespassing or hunting on the Deseret Ranches other than these allocations for these zones. There are thousands of deer on thousands of acres here. Herd management is pretty easy to do when you have that and only 2 tags. Maybe shoot the giant fork horns and 3 points instead of the 200 inchers every year so some herd management. There will always be 2 Americans (Canadians This year) That will come and use the 2 tags in 108 and 4 in 130. Lee and Tiffany will just come every year and "pay" for a guided hunt just like any other American could do year after year. Now there are other allocations in both zones with another outfitter and i'm not sure if they leased them to Deseret last year for all those hunters (lee, blake Shelton, ect.) to allow them to hunt the ranch as well. I don't know the rules that well to say if anything illegal is going on or not. I think they just mis-used words and phrases to spice up their show and forgot they were in Canada not the USA. Please clarify anything I might have said. I don't know all the rules other than this is how its always been since I can remember and grew up here seeing. I would love to know the ins and outs of it all.