Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Banned

Default best stove location

A wood stove produces 2 kinds of heat

1. Radiant heat like the sun gives us.

2. Heated air that rises straight up up from the hot stove and accumulates and is hottest near the ceiling of a shelter. This trapped warm air slso radiates some heat downward.

For the most part the wood stoves I see hunters use in North American ignore the radiant type heat by putting ther stoves low and in a corner of their tent. They try to heat the air in their tent like they do in the house they live in.

Reindeer herders and Mongolians that drink fermented mares milk in the east use woodstoves with chimneys also but they do not try to capture the heated air. They vent it out the top because they are using the same shelter they have used for centuries that were designed for an open wood fire inside the shelter. They try to get the best of the radiant heat by putting it in the centre of their shelter and some times up off the ground.

That is why I want the stove in my shelter to be up of the ground and in the center of the tent so I take full advantage of the radiant heat.
I want the ceiling of my shelter to be as low as possible so I can benifit from the hot air trapped near the ceiling of my shelter.

Last edited by chimpac; 09-29-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:30 AM

Putting your stove in the middle wipes out lots of space because you can't sit too close unless you enjoy intense heat in your face. With a stove in one corner even at -40 you will usually want a bit of space from the stove after it's full of coals and been going for a few hours. Having it near the door means less tramping snow into your shelter when you bring in wood. Easier to air out the shelter or shovel snow to put the stove out if things go south. Putting some bricks or sand on the bottom of your stove and putting a reflector behind will help turn the heat even higher. Will you put your stove pipe straight up or run it sideways out through a wall?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:33 AM

You should probably just attach a homemade fan to your stove.

https://youtu.be/dr4rNzIj8xc
Old 09-29-2016, 11:59 AM

Or buy one.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wood-stove-fan

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
I believe you are unfamiliar with Chimpac's works. Just can't see him buying one....
Old 09-29-2016, 12:24 PM
Gone Hunting

This is what we use. It keeps a 20x32 tent quite comfortable. The wood stove is in the front corner of the tent, easily accessible to stuff with wood & coal for the night.

http://www.gyroscope.com/d.asp?product=VULCANSTOVEFAN
Old 09-29-2016, 07:06 PM

I agree that the radiant heat part is a big deal.

Used to have radiant heat in an old house in Acme, and we could keep the temperature at 65F in comfort, because the water radiators had the mass of the house (ie. walls, furniture, ceiling, floor) at 65F as well as all the air in the rooms. My buddy keeps his house at 68F (radiant floor heating) and it's shorts weather in his place, for the same reason.

WRT camping/tenting, if you have the stove exposed to most of the inside of the tent, like others suggest, by the front entry with your cots/etc at the back, that'd work well. If you can scavenge extra heat from the chimney, by increasing its run, or adding "cooling fins" of some sort that'd add to your comfort.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:49 AM
Banned

Default around the stove

Just to show what I mean about a stove in the center that is up off the ground that radiates outward equally to those sitting around the fire. There is space for 4 cots, a chair in each corner under the 20'x20' tarp.
The melted ice under the stoves shows the effect of downward radiation from the stove which would be a warm place for feet and boots.
A baffle and the rear chimney port in the stove stop any hot sparks leaving the chimney.
A covering of spruce boughs on the floor would be a good addition.

[IMG]=http://s693.photobucket.com/user/chimpac/media/013.jpg.html][IMG]

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=140610
post 38

Last edited by chimpac; 09-30-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Will you put your stove pipe straight up or run it sideways out through a wall?
Why on earth would you run a stovepipe sideways through the wall?
Old 09-30-2016, 08:22 AM
Banned

Default picture

I messed up my photo address and ran out of edit time

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...himpac/013.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...himpac/013.jpg
I am doing something wrong, can't get the picture back on but it is on post38 of the address shown above.

Last edited by chimpac; 09-30-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:43 AM

Stove works best in the center , no doubt, but amount of space works into the equation as well. let's not forget. Our 10x12 wall tent has it on the left front, well back from the walls. Does the job,all that matters. Mongolians live in yurts, an entirely different story.

Grizz
Old 09-30-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I built my one cabin and ran the pipe up tot he ceiling and out the side. My cabin keeps really hot. Airfow could be a bit better but once the fire is started and heated up it pushes the smoke out a bit better.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I built my one cabin and ran the pipe up tot he ceiling and out the side. My cabin keeps really hot. Airfow could be a bit better but once the fire is started and heated up it pushes the smoke out a bit better.
I can understand a building, but not a wall tent
Old 09-30-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
That's the way every wall tent I've been in was made. Running it out the side makes it easier to put up and take down and it won't rain soot on your roof.

http://www.deluxewalltents.com/customer-pictures/
Old 09-30-2016, 09:44 AM

I think it was answered on the first post of Chimpac...... ' They drink fermented mares milk in the east...'
Old 09-30-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
That's the way every wall tent I've been in was made. Running it out the side makes it easier to put up and take down and it won't rain soot on your roof.

http://www.deluxewalltents.com/customer-pictures/
Putting up a straight pipe don't get much easier, and have never had a problem with soot on the roof. How far away horizontally do you run a pipe to not get this soot on the roof? Out the wall is all right if you have extra room to pack all the extra parts required I suppose and time to rig it up
Old 09-30-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Putting up a straight pipe don't get much easier, and have never had a problem with soot on the roof. How far away horizontally do you run a pipe to not get this soot on the roof?

(As far as you feel like.)

Out the wall is all right if you have extra room to pack all the extra parts required I suppose and time to rig it up
(If I am hauling a tent, poles, stovepipe and stove I can always find room for a few elbows. Out the wall was the only option when every wall tent I've been in had the gasket in the sidewall.)

Do we need a poll? Where is your wall tent stovepipe gasket?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
(If I am hauling a tent, poles, stovepipe and stove I can always find room for a few elbows. Out the wall was the only option when every wall tent I've been in had the gasket in the sidewall.)

Do we need a poll? Where is your wall tent stovepipe gasket?
All 3 of my wall tents have the stove ring going straight up, either on left or right side as soon as you walk in the door (2 are custom built tents). I've also lived in a good number of others and have yet to see one out the side actually.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
All 3 of my wall tents have the stove ring going straight up, either on left or right side as soon as you walk in the door (2 are custom built tents). I've also lived in a good number of others and have yet to see one out the side actually.
That's really cool. So after a few posts do you happen to have any advice for the OP about stove placement or are you just here to teach me something about stovepipes?
Old 09-30-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
That's really cool. So after a few posts do you happen to have any advice for the OP about stove placement or are you just here to teach me something about stovepipes?
Well if you want your stovepipe out the wall, you're kinda limited to where you can place the stove

A stove in the center of a wall tent would be more efficient, but for my purposes mine are all off to the side next to the door, as mentioned in another post or two
Old 09-30-2016, 11:43 AM

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:37 PM
Banned

Default hot close to stove

A chimney can get red hot near the stove. When a chimney goes straight up it gets cooler every foot it goes and gives up heat inside the tent before it goes through the stove jack. I have heard of fires caused by hot short chimneys going through the side wall.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:51 PM

You need a long enough pipe for sure. When you are living in your canvas tent for a week in Winter, it helps to put a tarp over the roof so that snow can be slid off and ice doesn't build up as the snow melts from your tent being so warm. Putting a tarp over the roof is easier with a pipe out of the sidewall, but plenty of people like to go out through the roof with their pipe.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
A chimney can get red hot near the stove. When a chimney goes straight up it gets cooler every foot it goes and gives up heat inside the tent before it goes through the stove jack. I have heard of fires caused by hot short chimneys going through the side wall.
Clearance for non insulated pipe to combustibles is 18", don't think I'v ever seen a wall tent that meets that.

Grizz
Old 09-30-2016, 04:18 PM
Banned

Default stove jack

QUOTE=HighlandHeart;3345518]You need a long enough pipe for sure. When you are living in your canvas tent for a week in Winter, it helps to put a tarp over the roof so that snow can be slid off and ice doesn't build up as the snow melts from your tent being so warm. Putting a tarp over the roof is easier with a pipe out of the sidewall, but plenty of people like to go out through the roof with their pipe.[/QUOTE]

If your stove pipe is not going to get real hot, like up on top of your tent you can use a simple roof jack for your tarp, cut from 2 pieces of light sheet metal. One is just a hole, the other has the center cut like a pie and the material is sandwiched between and the pie shaped tabs are bent around to hold it together. I use this type of stove jack on all my tents. The stoves I use do not make the chimney hot enough to worry about.

Last edited by chimpac; 09-30-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:45 PM

middle back wall , cot on either side of diesel stove.......
no wood storage required.....
Old 09-30-2016, 05:00 PM

I always used one of these. There are nicer stoves available I'm sure, but these came with the tents. Even running them all day and night for five or six days at -30 a few times I never damaged a tent or a stove. http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...irtight+heater
Old 10-01-2016, 11:13 PM

My Tipi tent runs the stove in the center. Heats very well and evenly, also has lots of room for the chimney to cool prior to exiting.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCROB View Post
middle back wall , cot on either side of diesel stove.......
no wood storage required.....
But, diesel stinks and tends to leak over everything. .

Grizz
Old 10-02-2016, 07:56 PM

Central heat is most efficient but in a wall tent (as stated above) space and traffic flow make corner located stoves more practical. Also I believe that for sleeping it is often (but not always) good because some like it cool (me) when sleeping so I sleep farther from the stove than those who prefer more heat.
I am also a fan of roof exit chimneys simply because they require less parts (elbows and supports) which in my case means less to pack on my horses.