Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-29-2009, 10:09 AM

Default X-Bolt

Just bought a X-bolt Stainless Stalker .270WSM on the weekend....and got a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10 50MM Scope to put on it...cant wait to get out to the range!!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Banned

I bought a X-bolt hunter(wood stock) In .270 wsm a year ago and am totaly impressed. It shoots like a dream. I hunt in the hashest conditions hunting sheep all the time and this gun is the only one ill pack again. It has a 4 - 16 Pentax with a ballistic rectical. For anyone looking for a light factory rifle this is the one, compared to my cousins T3 stainless synthetic in 25-06 its alot lighter.

DSCF2542.JPG
Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
sheephunter

Sheepguide, the X-Bolt is indeed a very nice mountain rifle but I think you are mistaken about it being lighter than the T3. The T3 is actually about 5 ounces lighter according to published specifications unless you are shooting the Micro that is, but even it is heaver than the T3 by an ounce. The X-Bolt is actually a heavy weight when you start comparing it to other "mountain" rifles but it still makes a very nice sheep rifle.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Banned

Im not to worried about wat the specs say as I had them both in my hands both with scopes and slings and there was a notable differance. And not just because i own the x-bolt.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:08 AM
sheephunter

Possibly he had really heavy rings, bases, scope and sling but I can assure you when comparing bare rifle to bare rifle that the T3 is lighter. Not saying there is anything wrong with the X-Bolt, I actually really like it but the scale doesn't lie........
Old 05-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Banned

my top picks for a mountain packable rifle in that price range was the sako a7 stainless and the x-bolt stainless stalker, the x-bolt feels a tad more solid but being a previous t3 owner and knowing more about what i was going to get with the a7 i went that way....had i more browning experience etc. i probably would have gone with the x-bolt....it was that close for me...

with the x-bolt and the extra wsm round in the magazine over the tikka/sako, i was very impressed with the x-bolt, first browning i really liked a lot

and if 25-06 is your caliber then i believe they add a couple inches to the barrel length vs the regular standard calibers which is great (i think kimber montana does this also for that caliber)....but the sako/tikka doesn't....something to consider if thats your caliber
Old 05-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Banned

your right on the numberst sheephunter: T3 stainless synthetic = 6.17 lbs
X-bolt Wood blued = 6.311 lbs

hard to beleive they are that close with wood and synthetic
Old 05-29-2009, 01:47 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
my top picks for a mountain packable rifle in that price range was the sako a7 stainless and the x-bolt stainless stalker, the x-bolt feels a tad more solid but being a previous t3 owner and knowing more about what i was going to get with the a7 i went that way....had i more browning experience etc. i probably would have gone with the x-bolt....it was that close for me...

with the x-bolt and the extra wsm round in the magazine over the tikka/sako, i was very impressed with the x-bolt, first browning i really liked a lot

and if 25-06 is your caliber then i believe they add a couple inches to the barrel length vs the regular standard calibers which is great (i think kimber montana does this also for that caliber)....but the sako/tikka doesn't....something to consider if thats your caliber

My only complaint about the X-Bolt is that there seems to be a bit of quality control issue with the actions. Some are as smooth as silk and others seem to bind throughout the stroke. I shot one in .325 WSM that was so easy to short stroke when ejecting the spent case that it wasn't funny. All the others I shot seemed fine but I have heard others complain about this as well.

I have to agree that the A7 is pretty hard to beat for an off-the-shelf sheep rifle but that Kimber 84 wins for weight. I just wish it came in a few more calibres but nothing wrong with 7mm08 I guess. I've got an 8400 and it comes in a full pound heavier. I can't see the longer action making that much difference. The T3 and X-Bolt are definitely considerations for lightweight rifles as well as the Remington Ti but man they are expensive.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Banned

i do have to give remington credit the do make good guns and the TI was actually my first choice but im pretty hard on rifles so i figured it was a little much cash to beat up on a quad, in a leather scabbord on just general abuse.Still goes back to the best gun for a person is what they are most confident in and comfortable with. Maybe an old 10lbs 30-06 but if it does the trick stick with it.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
What the heck are you hunting that you feel you will need to unload one magazine and have to change that fast? Maybe should look at an AR, you can tape two magazines together and REALLY be fast.
well.....maybe if a grizzly is making a full charge at you and 4 havent stopped it yet,happened to my moose hunting partner.........a second fast clip can be a nice thing.not to knock browning i owned one for 10 years and it was very accurate and fed well etc...but why do you need a magazine with a drop floorplate??the only reason i sold it.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 AM

Default Can't Wait

Just bought 30-06 x-bolt in S.S. At gunsmiths right now mounting a Bushell 4200.Hoping for an early spring to try it out at range,and hoping made the right choices. Wife is thinking we should have put money towards a new 5th wheel.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM

I have had my X-Bolt medalion in .243 for a couple years and it is excellent. It has every feature I like and is accurate. My next one will be .270 wsm synthetic/stainless.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:29 PM

I love my X-bolt varmint. This .223 shoots 3 shots less than 1/4" @ 100 yards. I am still in awe at how well this rifle shoots.

BTW someone had a question about the x-bolt rings. They are made by talley and do not come with the rifles.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
My only complaint about the X-Bolt is that there seems to be a bit of quality control issue with the actions. Some are as smooth as silk and others seem to bind throughout the stroke. I shot one in .325 WSM that was so easy to short stroke when ejecting the spent case that it wasn't funny. All the others I shot seemed fine but I have heard others complain about this as well.

I have to agree that the A7 is pretty hard to beat for an off-the-shelf sheep rifle but that Kimber 84 wins for weight. I just wish it came in a few more calibres but nothing wrong with 7mm08 I guess. I've got an 8400 and it comes in a full pound heavier. I can't see the longer action making that much difference. The T3 and X-Bolt are definitely considerations for lightweight rifles as well as the Remington Ti but man they are expensive.
Sheephunter
I am looking for a new sheep gun but can't afford the Kimbers or the Ti's. I have noticed that the spec’s in a 270wsm for the Tikka t3 are 4 ounses lighter than the Sako A7. I was surprised by this since the A7 is made with a separate short action and the T3 is not. Are these spec's accurate? Is the A7 really that much heavier?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SknirB View Post
Just bought a X-bolt Stainless Stalker .270WSM on the weekend....and got a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10 50MM Scope to put on it...cant wait to get out to the range!!
This is the same scope I have on my x-bolt 300WSM.

I love this rifle.

Very tight groups and the factory recoil pad is nice. Less kick than my .30-06 with it's Decelerator pad.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:32 PM

Only had my Xbolt Varmint stalker in 22-250 for a month now but happy with the way it shoots and feels. Although trigger is advertised as fully adjustable from 3-5 pounds I couldn't get any adjustment below 3 pounds 4 ounces and it was inconsistent by 3-4 ounces each time we tried it. Leupold now makes Xbolt bases and the new 30 mm low rings has those Varmint Hunter Extremes hugging the barrel like Jeromeo and I like them for long range yotes. Rifle is at gunsmiths this week getting the trigger taken down to 2 pounds or less.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Rifle is at gunsmiths this week getting the trigger taken down to 2 pounds or less.
Where are you getting the trigger done?? How much they charging?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivetoHunt View Post
I know browning has there own rings and bases for the Xbolt but I have not seen any leupold rings and bases that are made four the Xbolt because it has for screws in each base regular bases wont fit. Can you tell me where you got the leupold ones and maybe a picture.
Weavers are available also
Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A simpler rifle with less parts has less chance of mechanical issues.That could be why many military and police sniper teams used Remington actions,instead of A-bolts.The A-Bolt does have a floor plate as well,but it is simply extra parts that aren't required.My own Remington detachable magazine system is properly fitted,and it is not at all noisy.If Browning thought that a floorplate over a detachable magazine was still a good idea,they would have used it on the X-Bolt.
Actually, There are a few guys in the military ( CSOR ) that are using the X-bolt .308 as their medium range sniper rifle. Also multiple police units are using the Xbolt instead of the Remington 700 for their sharpshooters. The cities of Sherbrooke, Montreal, winnipeg and yellowknife are said to have replaced their remingtons for brownings. personally, i own both the 700 and the x-bolt in .308... but i haven't touched my 700 since i fired my xbolt... so if someone's looking for a 700 in .308, give me a shout.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Default browning x bolt

i have always been a remington man and wooden stocks,but when buying a new rifle the x bolt in s/s syn is the one i went for in 2506 ,just picked it up and it fitted me like a glove and that 60 degree bolt wow , its like a semi custom rifle, browing knows what the hunter wants,atb steve
Old 11-10-2010, 11:43 AM

got an x-bolt in .338 and a rem 700sps in .243 and when hunting deer I still reach for the .338! the x-bolt replaced my win70 in 300win mag and the x-bolt feels better, and shoots better then all of them. The factory recoil is good enough that I can shoot the .338 as good as the .243, well as long as I am not going through a box at a time. Factory trigger is great.
If this thread is still about Browning X-bolts it gets my nod, felt a lot better then the T3 lite when I was shopping, although I have yet to shoot a tikka.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Browning X-Bolt 25-06

I just purchased mine about three weeks ago. 1/4" groups at 100yds. Have shot 3 deer a moose with it so far. Each shot placed where I put the cross hairs. I put on the Vortex 6.6x20 44 mm tube. What an awesome package. Best rifle I have ever owned. Best part was the wife told me to go buy a new rifle as old one let me down. Gotta love that. Definately recommend for anyone.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

I"m sure all this is makin Chuck think bout a 30-06 remm
Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 PM

Default X-Bolt 7mm rem mag

I purchased an X-Bolt hunter with matt finish in 7mm rem. mag topped off with a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x50 with D.O.A reticle and i just love it. started re-loading for it about 2 weeks ago and im shooting 160 gr. sierra HPBT and get .25" groups at 100 yrds. absolutely love it....haven't killed anything with it yet but hopefully this weekend will be the one
Old 09-08-2011, 12:03 PM

I just ordered an X Bolt Hunter 30-06 (Left handed). Should be here in 4 weeks.....Can't wait to shoot it! Thanks for all the reviews on here!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:36 PM

Default browning x bolt meddalion

I just bought a new x bolt in 300 wsm and leopold base and rings.I noticed the same thing another poster stated,it seemed real lite and small picking it up in the store,but it shouldered real nice It will even be better with the hunting coat on.The 60 degee lift on the bolt and the bolt unlock on safe is a really good feature in my opinion.I don't have my scope yet so I don't know about the accuracy of the 300 wsm yet.Thats why you need sights as well,if the scope goes out all you have is a nice jack handle.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:50 AM

I am bringing this thread back from the dead as i am very interested in the X-bolt, probably in 30-06 of 7mm Mag.

I wanted to ask a few questions about this rifle specifically:

1) could some of you X-bolt owners comment on price and where you bought the rifle
2) i saw on Youtube that one person complained about the rifle failing to eject the a 270WSM on his video, and others reported having the same problems with the WSM. Has anyone experienced any problems with ejecting cartridges?
3) what is the big differences int he different x-bolt models?

Thanks alot guys, hopefully this helps others as well.

Adrian
Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 PM

I have a left hand bolt wish list. It includes the X-Bolt. They offer a special short action for 22s. That appeals to me.

Anyone shooting the X-Bolt in 223 or 22-250? How do you like the short action?

I short listed the X-Bolt because of quality manufacturing, tang safety, wood stock, and left hand friendly.

Please don't clutter your responses with other lefty options as I'm aware and they are on the list. The OP wants to talk X-Bolt and I wish to respect that.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:03 PM

to add to my list of questions, from the reading that i have done, some people are reporting very poor grouping with this rifle, a rifle which is claiming MOA accuracy.

Secondly, how many of you -bolt owners successfully shoot tight groups or sucessfully hunt at >300 yards? I would like to own a rifle that can easily do 300-400 yard shot and not to super picky on loads.

The link i am posting is of people speaking about their difficulties with this rifle, nowi am no pro by any means but the infor i read was somewhat discouraging.

It is a long post, but there are more than a few who have made the same claims about their rifle.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/...hp?f=8&t=69585

Any insight would be great.

Adrian
Old 09-24-2015, 10:30 PM

Default All preference

So far in my experience I've been partial to the Remington 700.
I've owned 4 of them, .280 SS, .223VTR, .204 Varmint & .300WM XCR II.
All except the .280 had sticky actions & required wresting with to cycle.
I am still a fan of the "Legendary" 700 action, currently printing 1/2" @ 100yrds
with my .300 & factory ammo.
What I've come to terms with is that printing tight groups on the bench
& hunting in the bush are two completely different ball games.
I'm leaning towards an XBolt because it's practical. Plain & simple.
Mainly for the rotary box mag, which is way more convienent than floor hinge plate. The 60 degree bolt raise is a bonus.
All preference, some guys drive Chevy some guys drive Dodge. They both get you from A to B. The Elks not gonnA know the difference. It's all what works best for your own personal preference.