Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 08:24 PM

Default When the tail wags the dog

It's camper hauling season thought I'd share a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siVH_cr5ZnE

The trucks going 65 mph being passing by a truck with no sway control and heavy loaded on the back of the trailer doesn't end well.

Have fun but play safe
Old 06-01-2020, 09:02 PM

A family or 2 completely ruined by stupidity if there were deaths, and I would almost say there likely was.

I was on the way to Vegas in my Corvette in 2008, was doing 90 mph on a 85mph road at the time and was being passed constantly by every vehicle you could think of, including a triple axle toy hauler that had to be doing 130+mph. Another was muffy in a minivan with her foot on the mirror that had to be going 120mph.

I have always said that travelling at 90 mph for 5 hours straight you can cover so many miles it is insane. I only ever drove the no-speed limit roads in Montana once, many years ago.

As I was driving I caught something out the corner of my eye, which was a State Trooper with a big shyte eating grin looking at me egging me on to open it up. Wildest thing ever. I shook my head no way, he laughed and peeled out.

People are stupid.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-01-2020, 09:08 PM
Banned

See it all the time, people with likely very little experience hauling a bumper trailer way too fast, only on the ball. When the death wiggle starts most get on the brakes which only makes it worse, just reach down to your trailer brake controller and manually operate the trailer brakes while not braking the tow vehicle.

Easier said than done, but it will bring the trailer back in line if it's brakes are adjusted properly
Old 06-02-2020, 05:14 AM

Yup saw one right here in our fine city of Lloydminster last night, guy pulling a trailer down the street with the slide still out, he was going east on 36 street, I was going south on college drive, wander how far he got before he either noticed it or side swiped someone. tis the season

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Driving on the coquihalla highway Doing the speed limit....just to,keep up....feet on the highway pegs checking out the scenery and man ohhhh man suv's passing me like I am standing still...campers...boats etc in tow....young families sitting in rows watching shows, playing games completely oblivious to,thier idiot father/mother/driver and just how fast they are going.....ahhh it's got all the bells and whistles...anti sway....air bags etc.....sorry....not gonna cut it when crap goes wrong at excessive speeds....just one long mess of twisted metals and bodies......slow down and enjoy the trip.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-02-2020, 07:51 AM

Default Hmmmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W5r7rrR_Mg
Old 06-02-2020, 08:12 AM

Hey good idea, if you hook a truck up to the 5th wheel hitch people would never have to backup a trailer again. And that would fix about 80% of the people towing trailers. A push me, pull you! Just like Dr. Seuss.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:28 AM

If you look super close when the swerving begins, you will see a sinister looking bad orange man
appear in the tailor frame stepping on the neck of the hitch, thus choking off the stability..
Old 06-02-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
A family or 2 completely ruined by stupidity if there were deaths, and I would almost say there likely was.

I was on the way to Vegas in my Corvette in 2008, was doing 90 mph on a 85mph road at the time and was being passed constantly by every vehicle you could think of, including a triple axle toy hauler that had to be doing 130+mph. Another was muffy in a minivan with her foot on the mirror that had to be going 120mph.

I have always said that travelling at 90 mph for 5 hours straight you can cover so many miles it is insane. I only ever drove the no-speed limit roads in Montana once, many years ago.

As I was driving I caught something out the corner of my eye, which was a State Trooper with a big shyte eating grin looking at me egging me on to open it up. Wildest thing ever. I shook my head no way, he laughed and peeled out.

People are stupid.
Ken, what's a muffy? Been around along time and traveled most highways in NA, seen lots of weird shyte too. But never anything called a muffy!

BW
Old 06-02-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
See it all the time, people with likely very little experience hauling a bumper trailer way too fast, only on the ball. When the death wiggle starts most get on the brakes which only makes it worse, just reach down to your trailer brake controller and manually operate the trailer brakes while not braking the tow vehicle.

Easier said than done, but it will bring the trailer back in line if it's brakes are adjusted properly
In fact before I pull a trailer, I do a couple dry runs on reaching down and activating the trailer breaks, on the brake controller so i have an idea where it is. Thankfully (or maybe cause I do not take silly risks) I have never had to use it, but am full prepared too!
Old 06-02-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Ken, what's a muffy? Been around along time and traveled most highways in NA, seen lots of weird shyte too. But never anything called a muffy!

BW
20-55 year old generally blonde ish female eating a croisant or double cheeseburger talking on the phone doing her hair and nails while driving 20-70mph over the posted limit with a poodle on her lap.

You know, muffy. Lol

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-02-2020, 02:22 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
20-55 year old generally blonde ish female eating a croisant or double cheeseburger talking on the phone doing her hair and nails while driving 20-70mph over the posted limit with a poodle on her lap.

You know, muffy. Lol
I seen a muffy take a sharp corner once and a white puffy thing ended up on the ground not so white anymore....white little poopshoe or whatever you call then was on the dash board...not for long though.....muffy stopped got out and was crying and puffy was dazed by the events....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-02-2020, 04:22 PM

I have been passed many times on highway 2 by a Crew Cab Diesel, big fifth wheel trailer with a big boat hitched to that. I'm doing 110 to 115 trying to keep with the flow in my old 7.3 Power stroke crew cab and they are leaving me in the dust.

All fine and good until the show starts due to an unexpected event.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken07aovette View Post

You know, muffy. Lol
lol!

Bw
Old 06-02-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:

You know, muffy. Lol
That’s so awesome. Sitting by the fire and laughed out loud at that...