Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Mount Question???

Hey gang. I have a question. I was fortunate enough to shoot my first elk ever this season. He was a nice little 5X5, so obviously I won't be laying the cash out on a mount. However, I am just wondering how many of you have purchased those do-it-yourself skull plate mount kits? Is it hard to do? How long do I have to wait with the skull plate before I do it up to hang in the house? Is it worth it, or should I just get my taxi guy to do it for me? Thanks.

Tree
Old 10-06-2007, 05:13 PM

Default love them

I have used several with deer . They are easy and quick ,after they are clean let things get drie and mount up one tip cut lots of skull so you can trim and make it fit better .
Old 10-07-2007, 12:08 AM

Hey Tree,

I suspect that you run into some pretty interesting slabs of timber in your line of work. Maybe polish up a slice of burl or something and do your elk yourself.
Here's a mulie done up with some padded buckskin (his buckskin actually) covering the skull-plate, and the .270 casing from the cartridge that claimed him imbedded in the wood - beside some wild turkey feathers thrown in for good measure! The pseudo-native design antler wrappings are just done with coloured sharpies on buckskin thongs.