Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2012, 10:46 AM

Default Fishing Line Question

Hi All,

I am a rookie fisherman this year, and have a question regarding my equipment. I am currently using a spincasting setup, and have been having some issues with my line getting "twisted", I am clearly a noob when it comes to this stuff, so I will lay out the situation.

I mainly use spoons, buzz bombs, and rarely a spinner or two when I am out (not very often, ~1 a month). When I first bought the line, the guy who put it on just threw some on for free with the rod. I noticed that after being out once or twice, the line would get wound up when there was no tension in it. I thought he maybe did not put it on properly, so I went back a couple weeks ago and got some new stuff on (same cheap line I think). After going out a couple times, same thing starts to happen.

Now to my questions. Would this be related to the type of line? Way the line was put on (doubt it)? My rod and/or reel? The lures I am using? The reel I am using is what is on this setup (ya, its a cheap rod for a beginner like me). I appreciate any and all help thanks!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM

use a ball swivel and never cheap out on your line and youll never have this problem i been through this same problem and havent had issues remember this cheap fishing gear is useless you mite get lucky but if ya spend the money you wont be replacing it i havent changed my pike line in four years and have gotten hundreds on the same line and leader mmy line was forty bucks and the leader was fifteen and its all landed many gooders as i been fishin wab alot in the past few years
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 AM

its probably the type of line. after a while of being on the reel line will get memory which causes it to get twisted like your saying. for better quality mono/flouro line this will take alot longer to happen where as with good quality braid it will barely if ever happen. id buy some berkley trilene and put that on there. should fix the problem, if not maybe upgrade your reel and put some good braid on there although im sure putting better line on this reel will fix it
Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 AM

I have some ball swivels, but they are such a pain in the butt to put on, I gave up fairly quickly. Maybe its worth the extra time to put them on.

In terms of good line, what should I be looking for? I searched a bit, and Suffix 832 came up?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -relk- View Post
I have some ball swivels, but they are such a pain in the butt to put on, I gave up fairly quickly. Maybe its worth the extra time to put them on.
big time I always use a ball bearing snap swivel or leader (pike). I love fire line myself. You can bring your gear to the fishin hole and they will spool bulk line on for you - a great way to go.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -relk- View Post
?? Maybe an easier knot ??

Try a palomar.

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar...matedknots.com

Cheers
Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 AM

A few things;

If you want to use monofilament line (the basic stuff) I'd suggest using Berkley Trilene XL (the orange box). The "XL" denotes "extra limp" and will reduce line memory causing you heartburn. the polymer in the line makes it supple and soft. Use the lightest line you are comfortable with.

Definitely use a swivel and snap - this reduces line twist with spinners, spoons etc... and allows you to change lures, leaders etc.... quickly and easily. Tie on you swivel snap using a palomar knot and it will last a long time and be strong and secure.

Check the line box to make sure, when re-spooling line, you are not spooling up in the wrong direction (believe it or not this makes a big difference on some less supple lines). The lines where this is a possible issue will have unspooling directions or an arrow on the plastic wheel.

Wind your line up (when re-spooling) with slight tension (rod tip just bent a little bit) - too little tension and it will spring off and nest and too much and it will stretch the line making line memeory worse.

Make sure you load the line up on the spool about a 1/8" down from the lip - again too much and too little causes some issues.

Set your drag - if your drag is too tight and you snag something and it's not letting off, you are stretching your line, trying to unsnag, you are creating problems by having elongated thinner and thicker sections of your line (this is particular to mono).

And - when finiishing out a trip, on your last cast before your gear goes into storage for a while, put on a decent heavy spoon, cast it out and quickly retrieve it to keep the line tension where you want it.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:06 PM

If you reel while your drag is slipping you will put twist in the line. ie if you are reeling and no line is actually coming in onto the spool you will twist the line terribly. Therefore, you may need to tighten your drag or stop reeling and just let the loaded up rod do the work when the line is not actually coming onto the spool.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM
pelada trochu

if your line is twisting you simply hold your hook above the water with 4 to 5 feet of line hanging out. your hook will begin to spin. set it down once in a while to stop the spinning and then raise again to see if its out. keeps spinning due to momentum and winds up the other direction if you dont.

its common to once in a while get a twist on a spinning reel. never pull any lure that could twist in the water such as a spoon or a minnow without having a swivel somewhere on your line.

some use a leader for pike ex which will have both a snap and a swivel.
some use just a swivel to tie their home made leader (usually a length of fluoro) such as when fishing minnows for walleye.

as for which brand of line, it does make a difference but for a noob i recommend mono then fluoro and then braid.

reason is that mono will stretch and acts as a shock absorber or spring adding needed tension to your line when bringing in a fish. This makes it much more diff for the fish to spit your barbless hook. Fluoro much the same only less and Braid relies on you reeling the fish in like a professional Bass Fisherman at 90 miles an hour so the fish doesnt spit you and they can fish the next one as quickly as possible. Unless you like dragging the fish in like that you have to rely on your rod tip to absorb what the fish is doing. ie. good equipment for best results.

tip of the week!
my personal all around favorite is the transoptic 12lb. Found at Crap Tire. i do use a fluoro leader for walleye with it though.

Dont leave it parked in the sun or it will turn into the strength of human hair. Check it for nicks once in a while and replace it twice a year depending on how much fishing you do.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:16 PM

toss the reel and pick up a spinning combo, you dont have to spend much for the amount of fishing you do. spincast are crap

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 PM

Just buy some suffix 832 and be done with it. Best line i've ever used. Most braids are good at first, but don't hold up well come 2nd season. +1 on a spinning reel setup also.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 08-14-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:18 PM
pelada trochu

Dude if you have the old school type with a cover over the line and you put your finger on the trigger its really not good. Get a spin combo open face style. Much better design. But the tips on swivels will still help.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Just buy some suffix 832 and be done with it. Best line i've ever used. Most braids are good at first, but don't hold up well come 2nd season. +1 on a spinning reel setup also.
1+ on sufix ill never go back to mono
Old 08-15-2012, 05:27 AM

Swivels, swivels, swivels.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
once you are used to fishing with suffix its amazing how sensitive it is and how much you can feel going on at the end of your line. end of season just reverse the line on your reel, (works for any braid) and its just like new again, most people only use the first what, 30 or 40 yards of their line anyways so the rest is still brand new, unless you are dino fishing

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-15-2012, 07:07 AM

You say your new so I am gonna ask you something that might neglect the line completely. Are you slamming the latch back down mid cast causing the hook to snap back towards you due to the elasticity of the line. You say your line is twisting which is something that cheap line does but the larger problem IMO is why is the line that slack? Pretty much flip it back down (don't know term but should be self explanatory) when the hook hits the water not in mid air or the hook will rebound.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 PM

Default Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
toss the reel and pick up a spinning combo, you dont have to spend much for the amount of fishing you do. spincast are crap
Am I missing something? As far as I can see he is already using spinning gear.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
Am I missing something? As far as I can see he is already using spinning gear.
yup. spinning=good spincasting=crap

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 08-16-2012, 06:02 AM

Default k

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
yup. spinning=good spincasting=crap
Ok I got that part, but if he is already using a spinning outfit (As the link he provides shows us) why are you telling him to throw out the reel and replace it with a spinning reel?
Which he already has?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
Ok I got that part, but if he is already using a spinning outfit (As the link he provides shows us) why are you telling him to throw out the reel and replace it with a spinning reel?
Which he already has?
Sorry about this. I had said my reel was a spincast reel in the OP, but it really is a spinning reel. I tried to edit it, but I guess there is a time limit on when you can edit a post. I did not originally know there was a differnece between the two (of which I am now informed).

Thanks for all the help guys! Ill be taking this info with me when I head to the fishin store next time. Heading out to the Highwood with a buddy of mine this weekend, so hoping I can pull in some nice fish!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 AM

Go to http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/ind...ic,3596.0.html and have a read.

There are few if any spinning (or spincast reels) that do not twist the line. Some of the better ones twist it less but all put twist into the line. The best for not twisting the line are bait casters but they come with their own problems and short comings.

I personally will take a good spincast over a cheap spinning reel, esp. for beginners. I really don't think it's fair to compare a cheap $12 dollar spin cast (which is on most beginners packages) to a dramatically more expensive spinning reel and say one is crap and the other is good. My personal experience is $12 spincast=CRAP but so does a $12 dollar spinning reel=CRAP
Old 08-16-2012, 11:40 AM

I use the Suffix 832 and have been very happy with it.