Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
So far nothing is air tight. I may change the front hatch to a gtate style if yoy guys are worried about it. The tank is a new 3 gallon plastic tank.
The grate idea is great and being an open boat the flow thru air should be plenty.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Banned

GM aka safety stan.

GM I should just recruit you to come help me with my build so we can avoid these types of situations. It would be awesome to have a hand with it
Old 04-20-2011, 12:45 AM

Sorry Braun, no update tonight. Stayed on the couch reading the forum and watching hockey. Should have a half day of work tomorrow so back in the garage in the afternoon, I hope for a long days work on the boat.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Banned

Pffff. unexceptable
Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 AM

What's unacceptable? The half day of work or watching the canucks get schooled? I needed a break. Had to figure out the floor and did some venting research. Going to put a couple of black round vents on the vertical riser. Just need to find the right vent cover now.

You better get those exams done and get going. We need to see pictures. Post a before pic if you can so I can see what your up against.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

I was just kidding. ive posted pics in the "redneck livewell" thread. I will be taking lots of pics throughout the process. I might end up taking the boat out before fully completing the project. I just cant dedicate the funds to it right now. I am finally just starting to get full paychecks from my new job and getting caught back up on bills and such. The good news is, that I really dont need alot of materials to finish. Right now I have been pricing out carpet. That crap is not cheap in canada. you can find it in the states for 40% of the price. Almost cost effective to have it shipped here. Crazy. Best I found so far though is at lowes. Looks good and has a type of rubber backing. Willow what was your carpet like?

The other good news is that thanks to some forum members, I ve been able to think of ways to improve my designs / find materials and help me save some cash. which means I can finish my boat rather than dragging it out over time. Also where did you get your latch covers? i remember seeing them places and they are cheap i just cant remember where.

too bad your in edmonton. I would say that once our rigs our done we should meet up for a trip in them. maybe later in the summer though. A sylvan lake experiment.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:06 PM

You guys should meet up at gull and I will see if I can join you boys. I have had pretty good luck there and want to head back for some of those big nasty eyes that I was hooking into last fall.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

ya maybe later in the summer. would you haul your boat up here too or are you able to suck it up and be on one of our crafts?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 PM

Depends when it is haha. If its august long I am hoping to go for a camping trip so I would just haul my own stuff but if its a different time then I could pick you up along the way. Maybe take the camper, haul your boat, and make a weekend trip out of it.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM

There's a chance I could make it out there also for a day trip. I love fishing in Gull or Sylvan from the boat.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned

sounds like we got the making of a trip in the works. what about you willow? would you be in?
Old 04-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
I was just kidding. ive posted pics in the "redneck livewell" thread. I will be taking lots of pics throughout the process. I might end up taking the boat out before fully completing the project. I just cant dedicate the funds to it right now. I am finally just starting to get full paychecks from my new job and getting caught back up on bills and such. The good news is, that I really dont need alot of materials to finish. Right now I have been pricing out carpet. That crap is not cheap in canada. you can find it in the states for 40% of the price. Almost cost effective to have it shipped here. Crazy. Best I found so far though is at lowes. Looks good and has a type of rubber backing. Willow what was your carpet like?

The other good news is that thanks to some forum members, I ve been able to think of ways to improve my designs / find materials and help me save some cash. which means I can finish my boat rather than dragging it out over time. Also where did you get your latch covers? i remember seeing them places and they are cheap i just cant remember where.

too bad your in edmonton. I would say that once our rigs our done we should meet up for a trip in them. maybe later in the summer though. A sylvan lake experiment.
Phone Canada Rug, and ask if they have any ends available, they'll prolly just give it to you or it will be very cost effective.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Banned

sure if I want a checkerboard boat...... lol. Good idea chubbs but I would need some rather large off cuts.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:15 PM

I'd be up for Gull or sylvan for sure. Camping sounds like a good plan, i'll bring the 5th wheel. My carpet was from Rona,

http://www.rona.ca/shop/~carpet-need...et_lanart_shop

It isn't marine grade but will do just fine, It is rubber backed so should hold up fine.

I Horsetrader picked me up my latches at Bass Pro last month. I think they were $7 each.

I got my eye on a pond near by and as soon as it melts I'll be out there testing out the new products. It's open all year and small so the I'm hoping the weekend after easter. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM

Default ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Phone Canada Rug, and ask if they have any ends available, they'll prolly just give it to you or it will be very cost effective.
braun, i've mentioned this to you as well. you'll be very surprised at what the carpet stores my have for end pieces. roll ends are not 6" square pieces. most stores will have decent size pieces available at very discounted prices. they are not in the business of keeping ends hanging around, they want them out the door. looking at the pics of your rig, you won't require all that much. take a couple measurements and make a few calls.

Dace
Old 04-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
braun, i've mentioned this to you as well. you'll be very surprised at what the carpet stores my have for end pieces. roll ends are not 6" square pieces. most stores will have decent size pieces available at very discounted prices. they are not in the business of keeping ends hanging around, they want them out the door. looking at the pics of your rig, you won't require all that much. take a couple measurements and make a few calls.

Dace
UUUUUGH... I hate to admit it but i think Dace and i agree on something... carpet warehouse store will usually have roll ends dye lot ends of carpet some will even be room size it's well worth checking in to.........I knew that would happen
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 PM

Well I got more done tonight but can't post pics yet because photo bckey is down. Di a bit of body work with good old bondo. Had a few holes to fill on the side of the boat. Screws went through the side into a seat bracket that I removed so repair was needed.

I also was able to get the floor framed and the sheathing cut. I painted the bottom of the sheathing and its now drying for install either soon or tomorrow. I also put some paint on the inside to see how it looks. I'm pretty happy with it.

I'll post pics once the site is back up and running. Tomorrow gets the floor fastened in and carpet installed
Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 PM

Photobucket is back up. Here are some of todays pics.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
Photobucket is back up. Here are some of todays pics.

You should have gotten your wife to paint it she would have stayed in the lines......lol Looks good open waters coming
Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 PM

Looking good.

I start my project drift boat on friday morning with my pops. Hopefully it won't take more then the weekend to finish as long as the weather cooperates. I will see if I can get some before, during, and after pics of it and post them up on here.

Also going to be starting a few small repairs on my walleye boat tomorrow but nothing major enough to post up here.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 AM

You might want to put in a bilge pump if you put a floor in. Also not sure if it was brought up yet. Marine grade wood would also be a good idea.

lookin good.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:18 AM

looks like its coming along nicely!!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Banned

Well, Can't ignore 3 people saying the same thing ..... Ill look into it. Im not as hung up on it anymroe after I went and did some detailed measuring and figured out that I dont need much. to do what I want to do. but I will definitely look into it. Talked with a couple guys last night about my prop and parts for all that and it made me feel better. I think the only thing Im missing is my thrust washer and maybe the one locking piece. So not too bad. going to hook the motor upto some earmuffs this weekend to run it a bit. Not too much this weekend. I got alot of studying to do. Wednesday exams start and I have alot of reading to do.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:02 PM

I cut out a notch in the floor at the back where the plug is. If water becomes a problem I will build a portable bilge and run it off a gel cell battery and use as needed. All the wood on the floor is pressure treated and painted with exterior paint. I got the inside painted this afternoon and am now waiting for it to dry so I can glue in the carpet. It may have to wait for morning. So far I think its looking great. Almost done the interior. Should finish by tomorrow night and then flip over and do some body work and get ready for paint.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Banned

willow, is your boat alluminum or fiberglass on the inside? it looks like its fibreglass coated on the inside
Old 04-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Banned

I feel like a jerk for pointing out stuff,,, Willow, I can't figure out if your boat is aluminum or fibreglass. If it's aluminum, get all the pretreated lumber out asap and get treated lumber that doesn't have any copper in the treatment. When the treatment leaches out from getting wet (which it will) it will eat through your hull, and quite quickly at that,, copper and aluminum are arch enemies regarding watercraft. Sorry.

If you're ever in Vansewer or more notably reed Point Marina in Port Moody, there are a few huge private yachts, one is called "Deep Pockets". When the owner was retrofitting it he hired regular electricians who while wiring kept clipping off their excess and letting in drop wherever. Some clipping ended up in the lower hull/bulkheads and after months of trying to figure out why there was tons of water coming on, it was found to be thousands of pinholes from where the copper from those clippings ate through the hull. The Yacht next to his is Jimmy Pattisons.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

ya thats exactly what I was thinking too GM. I alsohave not heard great things about Presure treated wood and fiberglass. But A fellow tells me that he has never heard any negative reactions with it and fibreglass resin....... Im edging on the side of caution and avoiding it.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
I feel like a jerk for pointing out stuff,,, Willow, I can't figure out if your boat is aluminum or fibreglass. If it's aluminum, get all the pretreated lumber out asap and get treated lumber that doesn't have any copper in the treatment. When the treatment leaches out from getting wet (which it will) it will eat through your hull, and quite quickly at that,, copper and aluminum are arch enemies regarding watercraft. Sorry.

If you're ever in Vansewer or more notably reed Point Marina in Port Moody, there are a few huge private yachts, one is called "Deep Pockets". When the owner was retrofitting it he hired regular electricians who while wiring kept clipping off their excess and letting in drop wherever. Some clipping ended up in the lower hull/bulkheads and after months of trying to figure out why there was tons of water coming on, it was found to be thousands of pinholes from where the copper from those clippings ate through the hull. The Yacht next to his is Jimmy Pattisons.
Ya Willow is ok his boat is fibreglass. You do bring up a good point not to many know about copper and alum. definitely a no no good catch. when I did mine I did all sub framing in cedar. was a little more money but only wanted to do it once
Old 04-21-2011, 07:01 PM

Yeah, like Trader said, its fiberglass, inside and out. Got the inside floor in today and the paint inside 1st coat done. Going out in a few hours to hit it with another coat. Here are some updated pics.

Tomorrow carpet and then the seats go back in.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:08 PM

Default Floor going in today

Got some progress today. Carpet going in.

Now just some more carpet on the other bench/table and then mount the Scotty mounts and the swivel chairs.