Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2011, 07:36 PM

Default no luck with countdown....

so i was fishing at fish creek park all afternoon with rapala coundowns brown and rainbow trout pattern and got nothing......did i do something wrong???? any help is appreciated.......thx in advence
Old 05-01-2011, 07:44 PM

Need fly fishing
Old 05-01-2011, 07:50 PM

He doesn't have to fly fish to catch fish on the bow.....it just tends to be hit and miss some days....
Old 05-01-2011, 07:50 PM

talked to some fly fisherman and they didnt catch anything either.....just a slow day??????
Old 05-01-2011, 07:52 PM

what were you doing? were you reeling in just fast enough to make the countdwon wiggle side to side?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:55 PM

i was going all over the place,finished at the boat launch..... i think my speed was good, the lure it looked fine
Old 05-01-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightdoor View Post
Need fly fishing
Wow.that was useful information. Maybe we do need a separate fly fishing section.

I am unfamiliar with the body of water you are fishing and do not normally fish with raps.
A few things I can think of is maybe your lure was too big or you were not casting to the right spots. Or maybe it was just dead today.

I guess I am not much help to you today either. I think Fishunter7 made some halfway decent diagrams how to fish the bow in a previous thread you can find.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 PM

it will happen that is why we call it fishing not catching
Old 05-01-2011, 08:01 PM

I've found the Bow very difficult to fish with spinning gear. Doesn't stop me from going, and I do hook into fish from time to time, but have more trips without a fish than I do with fish. Location is key, I have found a couple really good spots that produce much better than other places I've tried. Not really a fan of countdowns, x-raps and panther martins have been my most effective lures.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:14 PM

plz tell me those spots...

Last edited by 695167002; 05-01-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:18 PM

i think the bow is easler to fish with spinning gear and the spots i like to go is glenmore. yull see me time to time there in sunmer going after the browns
lures. CD-5,7 and silver with blue strips crocs. long and skinny but heavey
Old 05-01-2011, 08:26 PM

any good spots though??? i think i was just fishing at the wrong spot
Old 05-01-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I've found the Bow very difficult to fish with spinning gear. Doesn't stop me from going, and I do hook into fish from time to time, but have more trips without a fish than I do with fish. Location is key, I have found a couple really good spots that produce much better than other places I've tried. Not really a fan of countdowns, x-raps and panther martins have been my most effective lures.
there is fish everywhere along glenmore bridge up and downstream i blindcast spoons to cover more water if i got limited time.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 PM

fish creek park
down from the 22x bridge(south)
there is 3 small good riffle runs on the right down stream bank
then the river heads east, there you will find 3 large runs on the right downstream bank and 1 large run on the opposite side
the river then turns south again...there you will find a huge inside turn run.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM

sorry but can u reword the direction so that a kid/newbie can understand.....i have a very poor sense of direction and i have no idea what riffle runs are..... again i'm sorry.....
Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 695167002 View Post
sorry but can u reword the direction so that a kid/newbie can understand.....i have a very poor sense of direction and i have no idea what riffle runs are..... again i'm sorry.....
choppy water that ends with a depth change and usually a back eddy and a tailing pool
Old 05-01-2011, 09:54 PM

I was fish the bow today also, i used count downs, original floaters, husky jerks, x raps and like 5 other things but also had no luck...
Old 05-01-2011, 09:55 PM

I found it slow today with fly equipment. Missed one, had another on for about 30 seconds before I lost my footing, and the line went slack. The good hit was on a prince beadhead, size 16, for those who are fly fishing.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 05-01-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
i think the bow is easler to fish with spinning gear and the spots i like to go is glenmore. yull see me time to time there in sunmer going after the browns
lures. CD-5,7 and silver with blue strips crocs. long and skinny but heavey
thx 4 the info.... I just noticed this post
Old 05-02-2011, 06:41 AM

I fished with Rapalas for about two hour last weekend then switched to the fly. The fish were hitting the fly really well. Yesterday just went with my drift rod and fished flies 10 fish in 3 hours. Was a fun day. The water must be warming up a bit as the bows were jumping pretty good. I found the count downs working really well 3 weeks ago. I can't explain why raps are not as effective, but I think the fish are keyed on to aquatic insects as the water warms up.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Default slow on the bow

michaelmicallef I wish we had you in our boat. We may have learned something.

My son and i did a 7 hour drift from Glenmore trail to 22x. Saw more people fishing from the banks than I ever had.

We fly-fished most of the time, nymphing (SJW of various sizes, Prince nymphs w/ and w/o bead head, copper jons, a variety of stone fly nymphs and others) and pounding the banks with a variety of streamers. As a result of reading about Rapala's on these blogs, I also took a spinning rod and tried them a few times.

The result of our efforts was a few strikes on the nymphs and two sunburns and it was still a great day on the river with my son!

Never saw anyone with fish on all day and no one we spoke with had any luck either.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Default Must be luck

Cought a very nice brown on X-Rap yesterday. Guess it is hit and miss.
I tried a SJW for most of my fishing time as I hoped to get some whitefish - no luck at all (I had rainbows hitting it last year with a float on a spinning rig). Switched to Rapala and had a hit right away
Old 05-02-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Cought a very nice brown on X-Rap yesterday. Guess it is hit and miss.
I tried a SJW for most of my fishing time as I hoped to get some whitefish - no luck at all (I had rainbows hitting it last year with a float on a spinning rig). Switched to Rapala and had a hit right away
if you try walking up and downstream aways away from the crowd/preasure it helps ALOT
Old 05-02-2011, 05:15 PM

im not trout expert but i've been accidentally landing them on invermere with a red and black rattle trap ...

again i know almost nothing about fishing for trout except they roll and roll and roll and you have to handle them more carefully then an infant or they die ....

but they are gorgeous no question !
Old 05-02-2011, 05:47 PM

Bow River is a hard river to fish man. if one lure doesnt work you gotta switch to different one. It was really hot today and may be the fish wanted wider action like a spinner or a spoon. you just gotta get used to the habit of changing your lure every 10 15 minutes if it doesnt work in the pool you are fishing at. Like I said the fish in bow river can be real picky. Some days I use a plain red gamagatsu hook and catch fish non stop. Some days I can spend a whole afternoon at a pool full of rising trout and try 4 dozens of flies, switch tippets for different presentation and and they simply just dont take it. Sometimes its tough so dont get frustated and enjoy the fact that you had the opportunity to get out
Old 05-02-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
I was fish the bow today also, i used count downs, original floaters, husky jerks, x raps and like 5 other things but also had no luck...
Ya you have to get used to "not catching fish" on the bow. Some days are just tough. went 2 weeks ago caught nothing. had like 2 very mild hits tho
Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish@ View Post
Ya you have to get used to "not catching fish" on the bow. Some days are just tough. went 2 weeks ago caught nothing. had like 2 very mild hits tho
if you stick with that bait yull have more confidence in it then yull automaticly twet yur lure to get results, and yes its called fishin not catchin
Old 05-02-2011, 06:23 PM

by no means does he need to take up flyfishng catch Bow river fish but in my opinion it adds a very effective technique to fish the Bow.

I dont mean to demean anyone or sound like a chest puffing azz but Bow river fish are constantly on the feed and are for the most part hungry and catchable.

pending water conditions really play the only variable in their where abouts. Therefore learning to read water is the hardest lesson as with any stream or river. The Bow is famous for its Bank and Tail water fishery. A single boulder will hold many fish in the summer and fall come winter and spring its a single fish lie, maybe a 2 fish lie at best. By winter and early spring its important to know pools with some depth, here fish will be stacked like cordwood. Most fisherman just dont use enough weight or lead. Some of the best pools on the Bow are tough to see. The current runs hard off a rocky riffle shelf but beneath it is a 5-10 hole that is hidden. Its tough to present anything in this situation. All one can do is fire alot of lead up into the riffle and walk it along till the flies and lead drop into the pool. The more drastic the ledge the more fish, many pools containing 20+ fish. The good buzz bomb fisherman on the Bow have this figured out also. Even when summer comes and Caddis are buzzing around and fish are jumping, the majority of Big Bow river fish are deep, some will come shallow after dark.
Most of the bow river fish posted here lately are just average size fish...thats what makes the Bow famous. They are plentifull and cooperative. But they will move from place to place and some times school in places most fisherman wont cast into.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 PM

dose size matter?? i was talking to this guy yesterday and his rainbow trout lure was almost twice as big as mine and he said that it is actually smaller than what he usually use
Old 05-02-2011, 07:17 PM

yes it does matter but not in fall they feed up on large chubbs and whitefish.
other then that yes it does. try and match a little minnow or a small trout. stick with natural presentations so no fire tiger.