Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 PM

Default Bedding experiment

Tried a little experiment with Devcon 10760 (Titanium) and a product I decided to try as a release agent. Just mixed up some on a tray and stuck the coated action to it incase it did not release easily. Removed the action from the Devcon after 5 hrs to inspect, it released easily and this is the finished surface. As hoped the release agent stuck to the putty and not the action leaving behind a super smooth finish and should also protect the bedding from mild chemicals (acetone excluded). Looks promising, now just need some stocks for these actions that are piling up.

[/EMAIL]
Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 PM

I really don't like that titanium Devcon I find it doesn't flow as well as the 101011001 stuff.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 01-11-2014, 07:56 AM

I used the release agent that comes with pro bed for the first time a couple of days ago. Good stuff. Their bedding compound sucks and I was using it with grey marine tex (my favorite).

-Billy Molls
Old 01-11-2014, 08:15 AM

Very interesting but just exactly what did you use as the release agent that worked so well. To date I have used carnuba wax or shoe wax and it has been excellent but the picture you posted is ultra smooth.. If it is in the post I missed it completely.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Very interesting but just exactly what did you use as the release agent that worked so well. To date I have used carnuba wax or shoe wax and it has been excellent but the picture you posted is ultra smooth.. If it is in the post I missed it completely.
Interested to hear what the OP used but Kiwi neutral shoe polish works great.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:11 AM

That bolt is beautiful, did you spin that yourself?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I used the release agent that comes with pro bed for the first time a couple of days ago. Good stuff. Their bedding compound sucks and I was using it with grey marine tex (my favorite).
I ususally use the grey marine tex as well, the devcon is all I had available at the time to test out the release agent. Is the release agent in the pro-bed an aerosol? The problem I have had with the kiwi is every once in a while I end up with swirl marks in the bedding unless you are ultra carefull wiping it on.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMisler View Post
That bolt is beautiful, did you spin that yourself?
No, that's a PTG bolt.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:27 AM

The problem I have had with the kiwi is every once in a while I end up with swirl marks in the bedding unless you are ultra carefull wiping it on.[/QUOTE]

I found if you "gently" warmed the agent with a hair dryer it smoothed out any swirl marks. I have also heard of guys using Pam spray but I haven't been brave enough to try it.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
I ususally use the grey marine tex as well, the devcon is all I had available at the time to test out the release agent. Is the release agent in the pro-bed an aerosol? The problem I have had with the kiwi is every once in a while I end up with swirl marks in the bedding unless you are ultra carefull wiping it on.
No, its a very soft wax of some sort. I have had the same issue with kiwi, but this stuff came out VERY smooth and it was easy to remove from barrelled action. Also popped out of the bedding very easily. Good stuff. The best I've used.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DLT View Post
The problem I have had with the kiwi is every once in a while I end up with swirl marks in the bedding unless you are ultra carefull wiping it on.
I found if you "gently" warmed the agent with a hair dryer it smoothed out any swirl marks. I have also heard of guys using Pam spray but I haven't been brave enough to try it.[/QUOTE]

On the Pam spray, don't bother, it sucks. It releases allright, but the final bedding finish is poor and greasy. I am going to try a release agent that HighRiver Autoplex uses for releasing molds out of MarineTex. They donated me a jug of the stuff. Looks a lot like Brownells release agent but green instead of blue.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:45 PM

One shot case lube works really good
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper