Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2019, 02:09 PM

Default Changing my fly fishing attitude

So where did the whole fly fishing elitist attitude come from. I have always been fly fishing and spin fishing. Mostly fly though and without even realizing I’ve gotten caught up in the whole thing. Where I’m embarrassed to carry a spin rod when I walk past a fly fisherman. Also the whole a fish doesn’t count unless it was caught with a fly rod. Anyways I have spend this year spin fishing and only had the fly rod out a couple times. I have realized how much I have to learn with spin fishing and catching fish takes skill no matter the type of fishing you do. Also bait fishing. I have always looked at it as the least skilful way but have also learnt that there is so much more that goes into it than I thought. Basically all types of fishing can develop a heap of knowledge and skill or as little as one wants to learn. So this year I’ve been learning a lot and also changing my mindset towards all types of fishing. Also the more I learn from each style the more they help out with understanding fish and all of my methods of fishing getting better. Wanted to post on here just cuz there is a very strong elitist culture among fly fishers that I would like to see stop. If you keep your fishing style in a box you will only progress so far as an angler I think.