Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 PM

Default Reindeer Lake, Sask

Got a 1 week trip planned to Reindeer the week after normal ice out. Going for the big ones of course. Lakers, jacks, walleye and grayling. Couple of the guys that are coming have tournament fished they before but I was wondering if any of you have fished there before or plan on going in the future. Looking for a little more insight. I have fished Cree Lake, Sask at our cabin lots but Reindeer is right in the Canadian Shield, a bit more rocky. Any input??
Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 AM

I heard Deep Bay is the place to go for Trout...
Old 02-04-2009, 12:36 PM

I am also going to Reindeer lake. My son, son in law and I are going to be there on June 28, 29 and 30. I have booked a cabin for those three nights at Nordic Lodge. Donna, at the lodge, was good to deal with. If you Google Nordic Lodge their web site has good info on it as well.
We are going to take our camping gear with us as there is sooooo many lakes, and camp grounds that we want to try out. Donna was saying that they book up so if the fishing is good at Reindeer we will just camp at the camp site there to extend our stay.
The Sask. Tourism web site has some good info and it and they will send you Fishing, Accomodation, Outfitters, Road map and Event guides all for free.
Reindeer is a Catch and Release 1 lake so check the regs. Donna told me that the best place for eyes is down the river and she would show us how to get there. And yes Deep Bay for trout. The lodge also has boat fuel.
Also Google "The Atlas of Canada" for topo maps of that area. I am lucky that at work we have a drawing printer so I can print the maps 18" x 24" they show the rocks that you need to watch out for. If you need I may be able to print you some maps as well. Let me know.
I also went to Map Town and got some good maps of the area.
When do you plan on being there?
Good fishing and calm waters. Fisincrazy
Old 02-04-2009, 06:09 PM

Heading down on June 21st to June 27th. Miss ya by a day. I'll leave a note stuck to the tree at Nordic Lodge as that is where all 12 of us are staying. I have fished Wallaston a few times over the years as well but Reindeer is a new adventure. We have some friends that live there that are RCMP and they are also avid fishermen. Hope they can pull through for us and point out the hot spots.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:27 PM

I hope you have great trip. This is going to be a first for me going into the Canadian shield to fish. All of my fifty some years I have dreamed of fishing there. I have got close a number of times but.....My son is 15 and he can't wait either.