Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-25-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Fleshing Coyote's with Pressure washer???

I have heard and searched aboout fleshing with a pressure washer, they say it works wonders. I have had guys tell me that there is no better way to do it. Whats everyone think about this?????

P.s does anyone do this or tried this??????
Old 11-26-2007, 04:22 PM

OK, I tried, this, it works great if not awesome!!!!!!, maybe 10 minutes and your done, all the membrane and fat gone, left with a snow white hide, non greasy. I would recommend to anyone with these facilties, left not holes. I will be doing all my coyote's like this. the best thing about it is after your done fleshing with the wand, just flip, turn the pressure down and wash the fur. both turned out great!!!!!!!!. I did this on a coyote that was shot around 10:00a.m, I skinned at 3:30 p.m so it was very cold. It still worked great, I can't wait to try it on a fresh one.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:06 PM

Never tried it but its worth a shot...maybe the next one will get that treatment.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 PM

I can't believe it Bush, Fleshing is what I am weak at when it comes to this game. The pressure washer fleshing is the way to go for me for sure.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:19 PM

Fleshing is no fun, thats for sure. Was the hide on a stretcher when you did it?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:53 PM

Default fleshing coyotes?

what model pressurewasher did you use? any certain pressures needed? only cold water i assume? done on a fleshing beam still? anything you can add to the procedure would be great. thanks , rob
Old 11-27-2007, 01:39 AM

Just curious, but have you considered using the pressure washer to skin them as well? Make a small cut at the back end, insert the nozzle, and let the pressure separate the hide from the body? It'd be similar to the pressurized air systems that they use commercially.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:52 AM

I used cold water, the washbay I used is at the shop. Don't know the pressure rating but it is for semi-trucks so I imagine it is fairly high. I put it on a solid wood stretcher. You have to be carefull on the sides of the stretchers. I am going to sand down the edges on this stretcher so they are more rounded so I don't blow any holes on the sides. People have said it is messy and fat flying everywhere, but this is untrue, if you start just below the ears and point the wand straight down it all comes off in about 3 big clumps. After doing this I had to spend a few mintues flesh the head and fleshing a bit around the ***** and tail. I had great luck with this, I did this yesterday, when I woke up this morning and looking at the pelt (hide out) I did notice that is was not as dry as the normal fleshing one's. I am not sure if this is due to the colder weather we are having, and the loss of some tempature in the garage or due from the fleshing with water. Maybe a little of both. But if the only con to this is a little more drying time, I have quite a few stretchers so this will not effect me any.

P.s watch the angle you spray at, you have to be on a certain angle with your stream for this to be effective, it won't take you long to figure it out, watch how long you hold the stream in one spot, especially on the outskirts of the stretcher.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:55 AM

Use your vacuum on blow to dry them...or I actually tumble mine in a dryer for a few minutes.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:36 PM
sheephunter

Facinating thread guys...I definitely learned something today...can't wait to try it out. Thanks!!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:28 PM

rbirnie (or anyone else), you ever flesh coyotes using a bench grinder with a metal brush? I worked for a Texan taxidermist a few years back and it worked quick also, but sprayed flesh all over. Sure would like to try pressure method washer you speak of and compare the two.

Anyone tried fleshing their beavers with an electric fish filleting knife? I have found this makes beaver fleshing easier, however, you still have to do the beaver's underside with your usual tool (skin is too soft to handle the electric knife).
Old 11-29-2007, 06:32 PM

Can you go into a little more detail about the grinder fleashing.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 07:38 PM

I've used a wire wheel on a drill to do birds......but man the grease/fat flew everywhere !!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:29 PM

Not sure if you are asking about the machine or technique...typical bench grinder, take off one roter, install a steel wire brush in it's place. Start with the nose of the coyote facing you, the brush will be pushing the flesh down and away from you. You have to be careful not to hold the hide in one place too long, or press too hard, as you can go through the hide.

If you want to see this done on a real fast scale, there is a Hutterite buyer near Brooks (guys have mentioned it somewhere else on this site, don't think it would be difficult to track it down) who employs several young guys to skin, flesh and stretch coyotes. If you ever have a chance to go there, watch how their setup is. They have a large, wide rotating wire brush with water trickling down onto it. They flesh coyotes extremely fast.

However, I really want to try the water pressure method you speak of when I get a chance.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:32 PM

Well the wire wheel has sparked my interest.I did a coyote with the pressure washer again yesterday. the dog was over a day old, I sure could tell when I got to the fleshing point. The water worked but not near as well as a fresh one. I had to really work at it, probably never saved no time on this one, took me over 1/2 hour to do. Also burnt 2 holes (nickel size) in it just for the simply fact the membrane around the front shoulders was hard to get off. I am still a big fan of this, just have to watch the freshness of the animal, if its not within a few hours, then I will be going back to hand fleshing, if he is still warm, I will use the water.

What is average fleshing time's for coyote's with a beam and a proper fleshing knife, I know this will vary a bit pending on how picky everyone is.
I would just like some fleshing times thrown out there to compare with my washing technique. I can't really compare because I do not have the proper setup for fleshing. I use a knife and a home made beam, made from a picket.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:58 PM

Default use an air compressor

Animal would have to be warm for this, not frozen.make a small cut in the leg put the tip of the air compressor in blow them up like a balloon, separating the fur from the skin.
just my two cents saw it done on bigger animals and worked like a charm.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 AM

Default Hide Prep

Had afriend that did it by hand but after fixing holes etc, he put the hide in an old wash machime with some downy fabric softener. Cleaned all the blood etc off He put on stretcher and Hair came out like silk,

Thought that was a novel idea
Old 12-03-2007, 04:09 PM

Just wanted to post a picture of how good a job the washer does. Atleast I think its great!!!! As you can see around the head it doesn't work, I have to do that by hand.
Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 118.JPG (109.6 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 119.JPG (117.6 KB, 281 views)
Old 12-03-2007, 07:55 PM

Hi,
I'm new here, but I have already learned a lot.
I'm about to go coyote hunting and so I was doing my homework when I found this forum.
I got a question tho...
What do you do to the tails?
I can't find anything on it. I found out how to skin it and such, but not much luck for fleshing. Does that mean it just has to dry and thats it?

thank you and keep it up. This thread alone restored my spirits about fleshing after reading all kinds of horror stories about holes and such and how hard it is to use the knife and bar/pole.....

Larry
Old 12-03-2007, 08:21 PM

I pull the tailbone out, split the tail and then just sprinkle borax in it, to dry it out. There isn't any flesh to speak of in the tail.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:24 PM

when you do the tail, grab a plier put the open part around the bone of the tail and pull hard the bone will come right out.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 PM

im pretty new to hunting all in all(only 13 years old)but ive bagged myself a buck and got two coyotes as of today.I am sending the coyotes to the guy who got me started with snaring who knows how to skin them this is a trade i woud like to learn what the down right procedure on coyote skinning
Old 12-04-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble View Post
im pretty new to hunting all in all(only 13 years old)but ive bagged myself a buck and got two coyotes as of today.I am sending the coyotes to the guy who got me started with snaring who knows how to skin them this is a trade i woud like to learn what the down right procedure on coyote skinning

Go to youtube.com, do a search on how to skin a coyote with a hammer. Sounds stupid but just trust me, its a pretty good video,

should get you started.

I am new to this too, but skinning a coyote is fairly easy if its warm. When they are cold thats when I cut holes.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:09 PM

thanks ill get right on that
Old 12-05-2007, 09:07 AM

What is the best brush to brush up coyote pelts?
Old 12-05-2007, 04:38 PM

I don't know which is best, but I went to UFA and bought a comb intended for long haired dogs. Seems to work fine. I am considering whether to buy a brush also, to see if that would be even better.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Power washing beaver?

Has anyone tried the power washer on a beaver. I used to do alot of beaver trapping in Pennsylvania but the fleshing was my least favorite part and took me the most time.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:10 PM

Barrell, I haven't tried the pressure washer method, but if you try using an electric filleting knife (except on the belly) it cuts down on the 'elbow grease' required. I am a convert, but to each his own.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:30 PM

A wire welding brush is great for cleaning up the fur side.You can get these at the Quicky Mart $1 tool stores...............Harold
Old 01-04-2008, 04:41 PM

Default wow

i cant believe it, if it works on coyotes why woudlnt it work on a bear, jsut happen to have pressure wahser right down on the dock in the river boat camp, i cant wait to try it,,,thanks guys for the new idea, i have never heard of this before and weve fleshed our share of hides.