Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 PM

Default Detachable mag for weatherby vanguard S2

Hello all,
Just getting back into hunting and bought my first rifle, a vanguard s2 last yr in .270. After using a borrowed winchester .308 past years with a dm I would like to set up the vanguard with it rather than fiddling with loading through the floor plate and I can only find 2 options. One of which is plastic from cabelas.ca and the other is aluminum from CDI precision. The plastic is 3-round cap, and the Cdi is 5 or 10 and does not include the mag (and I cannot seem to find one specific to .270, only .300, .338, and .223), which brings the price up to double once I buy the mag (about $240 total). Oh and the cdi is from midway USA and they don't ship to Canada which is a hassle getting around to say the least...

Any other suggestions or comments would be great, maybe someone knows of a retrofit for Howa/weatherby that's a little better bang for the buck in Canada?

Cheers

Links for reference
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/772...00-long-action

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/23914/...e-retrofit-kit
Old 01-22-2014, 12:23 AM

I believe that Proline carries or can get the conversion kit. I know a guy that converted his S2 last fall. His was a 25-06. Should do the job for you.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:14 AM

Just in terms of importing problems, I think you can get the CDI bottom metal from Mystic Precision in BC.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 AM

http://www.weatherby.com/product/acc...ccessory/40440

Don't know if this will work on the S2 or not but might we worth looking into.

Personally its really not that hard to top load a rifle or bottom load really I wouldn't bother.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:31 AM

As per my previous post I could not find a video on it so I quickly made one....it was a good opportunity to try out the new Drift Ghost too!!
This shows how to quickly load and unload from the bottom on a hinged floor plate magazine.
http://s140.photobucket.com/user/Yuk...09989.mp4.html
Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I will definitely check them out. Thanks too mike for the video, honing the reload skills is certainly the cheaper way to go!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboyslim View Post
Thanks guys for the suggestions, I will definitely check them out. Thanks too mike for the video, honing the reload skills is certainly the cheaper way to go!
Yeah pretty much unless you are shooting out a truck window they make no difference.

I stopped caring about detachable magazines vs hinged floor plates a while ago!!

Tags
detachable magazine, vanguard, weatherby